Wiki Posts
Search

iOS 10

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2016, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

iOS 10

A few questions about it:

* I currently have an iPhone 6. Should I upgrade or not due to slowdowns similar with the iPhone 4s and iOS9?

* How soon or later should I update if upgrading the 6 will not be a problem? A month after today?

* I'm hearing you can delete some stock apps such as Maps. What happens when you delete the Maps app? Does the secondary map app being used become the primary map app?

P.s. This thread can also be used for iOS 10 discussions, not just the above!
Old Sep 13, 2016, 3:49 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
I have a piece of string here somewhere, and a ruler. If you give me a week I will put the two together and give you a measurement

Seriously though, I think we are all just in the dark at the moment. But this time I am going to go very carefully and try it first on the most non-essential device then work my way up the the MacBook Air and iPhone 6 that I travel with.

Cant really put my finger on it and say why I am going to be particularly cautious other than "a feeling in the water", but at my age they happen more regularly now, and you pay close attention
Old Sep 13, 2016, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I installed the release candidate on my iPad a couple days ago, and the release version on my iPhone today. No issues so far, and it seems to have fixed a few annoying things. My iPad (Mini 2) was already kinda slow and doesn't seem any slower. My iPhone (6s) doesn't seem any different.

The new iMessages is kinda confusing...or maybe I'm just too old to want to put animations and animated GIFs in my texts.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 6:46 pm

Programs: United MP
I just update my iPhone SE a couple of hours ago. It works fine, so far. I've been playing with the new features and I like most of them.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 7:00 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Will need to wait on the jailbreak
Old Sep 13, 2016, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
The new iMessages is kinda confusing...or maybe I'm just too old to want to put animations and animated GIFs in my texts.
I wish they would add xmpp support to the ios iMessage app, as with Messages.

Didn't they say something about it supporting plugins?

-David
Old Sep 13, 2016, 8:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Will need to wait on the jailbreak
Same, Unless I grab a 7+.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Speed wise, IOS 10 is just fine on the SE. I can't say that I like all of the features. I usually light the screen up with the power button, and then it unlocks with my thumb. Now when I do that it just says "press home to unlock." Which is annoying, and there doesn't seem to be a way to shut it off.

Also, some of the new sounds are... new. The lock click, is now a lock clunk. And I'm not thrilled with the new iMessage. I somehow got the keyboard to disappear and some drawing screen showed up. It took me about 5 minutes of fidgeting to get it back.

That all being said, I do like the new notification screen, and the new control panel, seems to be nice.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 1:14 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold
Originally Posted by WIRunner
Speed wise, IOS 10 is just fine on the SE. I can't say that I like all of the features. I usually light the screen up with the power button, and then it unlocks with my thumb. Now when I do that it just says "press home to unlock." Which is annoying, and there doesn't seem to be a way to shut it off.
Settings/General/accessibility/Home Button/rest finger to open
Old Sep 14, 2016, 3:20 am

Andrew Cunningham's detailed review of ios 10

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2016/09...-to-update/#p3
Old Sep 14, 2016, 4:29 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by FastTrak2Elite
Only any good if the iOS 10 device has a readily-available functioning fingerprint scan feature.

How much faster will the home buttons on iOS devices break with this new accessibility approach compared to the prior approach to unlock devices?
Old Sep 14, 2016, 6:32 am

One huge benefit for us with iOS 10 is that the battery life is remarkably improved - on an iPhone 6+, iPhone 6s+, and iPad Pro. It now takes at least twice as long for the battery to go down for us.

We've been on iOS 10 betas since the first beta came out.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lmashton
One huge benefit for us with iOS 10 is that the battery life is remarkably improved - on an iPhone 6+, iPhone 6s+, and iPad Pro. It now takes at least twice as long for the battery to go down for us.

We've been on iOS 10 betas since the first beta came out.
I thought I'd noticed the same thing yesterday, but had less than a day of history to prove it since I just upgraded yesterday.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 10:20 am

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by WIRunner
Someone already pointed out the accessibility setting, but you don't need to use the button to light up the screen. It lights up automatically when you pick up the phone.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Having some new problems. The first being on the T-Mobile iPhone SE, it is getting HOT when charging. I mean uncomfortably hot. I'm also having problems with no service when changing locations, it isn't picking up the new cell site. Yesterday I drove past the T-Mobile call centre in Maine and the phone showed "No Service" so pretty certain something goofed up the update. It was also hanging onto EDGE longer than usual, and wouldn't stop roaming on US Cellular if their EDGE signal was available, even if a T-Mobile LTE signal was present. I'll give it a day or two and see if anything clears up or not.

Originally Posted by FastTrak2Elite
Thank you, that worked. They really hid that pretty good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.