Wiki Posts
Search

iOS 10

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2016, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by RSSrsvp
I just downloaded 10.0.2 after reading this post and hopefully my battery life will improve on my 6s as right now it is awful. I will report back after using it.
So I powered on my phone at approximately 10 AM this morning and as of 3:55 PM I am down to 50%. Using the last version of iOS 9 I would normally be about 70-75%. The 10.0.2 update did nothing to improve the battery life and this is ridiculous!
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, I've come to realize my first day's experience was too good to be true. Fortunately I have a USB Lightning cable and charger at my desk. Sigh.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 4:49 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I've always wondered why you are so quick to update your iOS versions before letting other folks be the beta testers

But I'm glad to hear the wisdom of those who have done so, since even if a jailbreak comes out, it sounds like I should decline the "up"grade.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Bluetooth issues seem to be pretty rampant

https://9to5mac.com/2016/09/29/iphon...tivity-issues/
Old Sep 30, 2016, 12:29 am

I'm not really having any battery issues since I deleted all those new home screen apps.

I was seeing higher battery usage until I removed that stuff.

-David
Old Sep 30, 2016, 2:45 pm

Programs: DL Gold; Bonvoy Gold; HHonors Diamond; Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WIRunner
Bluetooth issues seem to be pretty rampant

https://9to5mac.com/2016/09/29/iphon...tivity-issues/
No bluetooth problems here. Probably more like some writer needed to fill a storyline.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jalves
No bluetooth problems here. Probably more like some writer needed to fill a storyline.
There's a couple people posting in this thread that they're having problems with bluetooth.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 5:27 am

We're still experiencing massively improved battery life. I charge my iPhone and my iPad every two or three days or so. I don't know what the difference is between us and most of the rest of you.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
I'm not really having any battery issues since I deleted all those new home screen apps.

I was seeing higher battery usage until I removed that stuff.

-David
Thanks for the tip, I will try doing this today.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 8:07 pm

There is a lot of bad in iOS 10 (iMessage is a clown show) but Widgets are awesome now that they are accessible from the lock screen, they've transformed the way I use my iPhone for quick information like my calendar, world clock, speed dial/text, commuting drive time, fast notes, weather, scores, access playlists, etc. all accessible in one swipe with one hand and while the phone is still locked. Very useful.

So many cool Widgets in the App Store, definitely check them out if you haven't yet.

BJ
Old Oct 2, 2016, 7:23 am

Programs: DL Gold; Bonvoy Gold; HHonors Diamond; Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WIRunner
There's a couple people posting in this thread that they're having problems with bluetooth.
Yes, I understand that. I just posted that not everybody has had problems with bluetooth, so its not a pervasive issue.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 7:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium, TAP Gold
I've also had battery issues with iOS 10; however, this doesn't compare with the drain I'm getting with my Apple Watch with watchOS 3. It drains down to 15-20% after a work day, compared to 60-70% with watchOS 2.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 8:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by cblaisd
I've always wondered why you are so quick to update your iOS versions before letting other folks be the beta testers

But I'm glad to hear the wisdom of those who have done so, since even if a jailbreak comes out, it sounds like I should decline the "up"grade.
Well, you've been around here long enough to know this particular thread is like Groundhog Day. The same cast of characters in this forum, every single year, immediately accepts the iOS upgrade literally seconds to minutes after it's available, completely forgetting their experience doing that very thing the previous year. Then they immediately begin reporting they think they are having battery life issues (literally... every... single... year) and occasionally Bluetooth issues. They then go down a laundry list of changes they absolutely hate and imply Apple is idiotic for making said changes. Then several posters start to panic, express upgrade regret, and inquire if it's possible to down grade back to the previous iOS version. Then after a few months, the noise begins to die down and we do it all again next year

It is absolutely, utterly perplexing, why people immediately accept something as complex as an iOS upgrade on the day it's publicly released. There is absolutely no upside and the potential for significant downside. At this point in time, it's literately impossible for Apple to simulate the type of testbed, in their lab environment, that is equivalent to shoving the update out to 1 billion devices, in the wild, simultaneously.

But, as you stated, these folks are great "canary's in the coal mine" for the rest of us I guess.

See you all next year for iOS 11

Regards
Old Oct 2, 2016, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scubadu
It is absolutely, utterly perplexing, why people immediately accept something as complex as an iOS upgrade on the day it's publicly released. There is absolutely no upside and the potential for significant downside. At this point in time, it's literately impossible for Apple to simulate the type of testbed, in their lab environment, that is equivalent to shoving the update out to 1 billion devices, in the wild, simultaneously.
Apple has a pretty robust beta program, both for developers and the public. The iOS releases have been running "in the wild", not in a lab, for at least several weeks with error reporting back to Apple.

I had a new issue yesterday. While I'd like to blame iOS I really don't know what happened. My phone shut itself off for low battery even though the battery meter said I had 57% left. I waited a bit and it finally turned back on, only to turn back off a few minutes later.

I plugged it in for a few minutes and then did a hard reset, and it seemed to go back to normal. Not sure what happened.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 8:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Apple has a pretty robust beta program, both for developers and the public. The iOS releases have been running "in the wild", not in a lab, for at least several weeks with error reporting back to Apple.
I'm quite aware of that and it's doesn't change my response one iota. The number of developers/public beta users is statistically inconsequential relative to full, public, and worldwide release across the full device population.

And if the beta program was as "robust" as you think it is, we likely wouldn't continue to see the same fundamental issues on day one; year after year, after year, after year...

Regards

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.