Search

Wireless cable TV

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2016, 12:47 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by elCheapoDeluxe
Keep in mind that you would need to have one TiVo Roamio or Bolt to be the "master" and the others would be TiVo Minis to be the "slaves". Can't just hook up any old TiVo and make it a slave.
Yeah, it looks as if it won't work in our house. We have one Tivo HD Series 2 that we own, and two Tivos -- a Tivo Quad and Tivo Mini -- that are supplied by the cable company. It seems as if each one needs a cable connection, but it was worth a shot!
Old Aug 24, 2016, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
Yeah, it looks as if it won't work in our house. We have one Tivo HD Series 2 that we own, and two Tivos -- a Tivo Quad and Tivo Mini -- that are supplied by the cable company. It seems as if each one needs a cable connection, but it was worth a shot!
TiVo Mini CAN be networked via MoCA, or can be networked via Ethernet. Does not actually pull video through a cable tuner on that Coax. The tuner is on your "quad", whatever model that one is. The Coax is there for MoCA (Ethernet over Coax) and is optional.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 4:48 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold
TiVo Mini CAN be networked via MoCA, or can be networked via Ethernet. Does not actually pull video through a cable tuner on that Coax. The tuner is on your "quad", whatever model that one is. The Coax is there for MoCA (Ethernet over Coax) and is optional.
Hmmm....I'll futz with it this weekend!
Old Aug 27, 2016, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA
There's one TV in our house that we can only use a window antenna with, unless we want to run around 50 ft of cable along the walls. This is what I'm waiting for to solve that problem:

Comcast will soon let its customers bypass the cable box and get Xfinity service directly on their television sets or streaming media gadgets.

So, basically a Comcast/Xfinity app on the Roku or Samsung smart TV. I'd heard before about this coming, but this latest news I've seen suggests it will happen before the end of 2016.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 5:13 pm

Keep in mind that you would need to have one TiVo Roamio or Bolt to be the "master" and the others would be TiVo Minis to be the "slaves". Can't just hook up any old TiVo and make it a slave.
Certain TiVo Premiere models can be the main unit as well - but not all.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Michael Ad
Certain TiVo Premiere models can be the main unit as well - but not all.
This is true. Word of caution, though: Tivo Premiere units don't do dynamic tuner allocation. If you have two TiVo Minis, two of your Permiere's tuners will be in use by the Minis at all times. Even if you aren't watching live TV. Even if you aren't doing anything on the Mini AT ALL. Roamio and Bolt units can allocate tuners to the Mini only when watching live TV.

Originally Posted by cubbie
There's one TV in our house that we can only use a window antenna with, unless we want to run around 50 ft of cable along the walls. This is what I'm waiting for to solve that problem:

Comcast will soon let its customers bypass the cable box and get Xfinity service directly on their television sets or streaming media gadgets.

So, basically a Comcast/Xfinity app on the Roku or Samsung smart TV. I'd heard before about this coming, but this latest news I've seen suggests it will happen before the end of 2016.
I am curious as to how the "virtual DVR" implementation will work. I'm sure there will be a fee, and I would not be surprised if there were provisions in there to prevent fast-forwarding through commercials.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
The Xfinity news isn't new and every since then, there's been no further word.

Regardless, I'm very curious as to how it will work. Will it matter who your ISP is? Could it be used out of home (say traveling to a hotel out of state)? Will I be able to live-stream everything available on TV (including sports, such as NFL, etc.)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.