Search

alternative iPhone insurance providers? getting ripped by AT&T

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2016, 2:49 pm
dtc
Original Poster

Programs: Restarting life as UA newb; AA Lifetime Gold
alternative iPhone insurance providers? getting ripped by AT&T

Many moons ago I signed up for Mobile Phone insurance on AT&T for a samsung phone I had. Back then, the plan was $5.99/mo and the deductible was $50. I liked it because it covered liquid - and I'm accident prone (and occasionally on boats.)

I took the time to look through my plan and it is now $7.99/mo and the deductible is $225. WHOA.

Now, granted, the replacement value for my phone is $749 - but sheesh. There's got to be a better deal out there!

It looks like http://www.gocare.com/ is about the same monthly, but the deductible is a lot less ($75). Has anyone had any experience with them?

Any other suggestions?
Old Jul 24, 2016, 6:49 pm

put the monthly phone insurance money as well as
the $225 deductible in cash... all into a piggy bank.

do not touch the money. in 36 months, you'll have
enough for almost any flagship smartphone.

unless, of course, you're the kind of person who
drops smartphone all the time... but most insurance
only pay two claims each year anyway.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
I used to list phones on my homeowner's insurance. It cost less than one tenth of Verizon's charge for similar insurance.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 12:09 am
dtc
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ajGoes
I used to list phones on my homeowner's insurance. It cost less than one tenth of Verizon's charge for similar insurance.
I'm guessing that will only cover loss/theft?
Old Jul 25, 2016, 7:19 am

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by ajGoes
Originally Posted by dtc
And would be subject to your homeowners insurance deductible. Mine is $1000, so not much help on a phone there.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 7:21 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by dtc
Loss, theft, accidental damage. As a listed item it was not subject to the overall deductible. I don't remember whether it had its own deductible or not. It was listed the same way that musical instruments and jewelry are.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
I know a lot of people who have used squaretrade.. it's about 150$ for two years and 100$ deductible. you can also cancel at any time and get a refund of the reaming annual fees..

it's just an insurance plan. if you buy with a visa signature or amex your get 90 days coming out of the gates for damages, then you'd have to have something like this/that in place
Old Aug 5, 2016, 12:40 pm
dtc
Original Poster

Originally Posted by djk7
And would be subject to your homeowners insurance deductible. Mine is $1000, so not much help on a phone there.
FWIW, I called my Homeowner Insurance (AAA) - they said they don't do phones. Makes sense to me - too high risk.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by dtc
FWIW, I called my Homeowner Insurance (AAA) - they said they don't do phones. Makes sense to me - too high risk.
even if your homeowner's insurance covers smartphones,
you definitely do not file a claim for a $600 to $800 phone.
(unless your home was burglarized and the phone is just
part of the thousands of dollars of stuff stolen)

the brutal fact, according to my accountant best friend, is
that people who can't afford to buy a replacement phone
for $600 immediately probably has no business using a
smart phones in the first place. (which costs at around
$1000 in phone bills each year)
Old Aug 7, 2016, 11:26 pm

Wells Fargo offers insurance for your mobile device if you pay your phone bill using an eligible Wells Fargo Consumer Credit Card. I do not have a Wells Fargo credit card, so I am not eligible for this feature, but it seems like an interesting perk.

https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-ca...ne-protection/

Some of the fine print:
Cellular Telephone Protection can reimburse the eligible Wells Fargo Consumer credit card cardholder for damage to or theft of a cellular wireless telephone. Eligible Cellular Wireless Telephones are limited to the primary line and up to the first three additional lines as listed on your provider’s monthly statement. Cellular Telephone Protection is subject to a $25.00 deductible per claim and a maximum of 2 claims per 12 month period. The maximum benefit limit is $600.00 per occurrence and $1,200.00 per 12 month period. You will receive no more than the value of the original phone or a replacement phone with similar features and functionality, less a $25.00 deductible. This benefit does not cover cellular telephones that are lost. This protection is only available when cell phone bills are paid from your Wells Fargo Consumer Credit Card. The coverage does not apply if the cell phone bill is paid from a Wells Fargo Debit Card, Wells Fargo Business Credit Card, or from the card that is linked to a Line of Credit. Coverage does not apply for electronic failure or cell phones that are received as part of a pre-paid plan. Cellular telephone protection coverage begins the first day of the calendar month following your first cellular telephone billing on your Wells Fargo Consumer Credit Card, and remains in effect when you continue to charge your total monthly cellular telephone bill to your Wells Fargo Consumer Credit Card. This protection may not be equivalent to or better than other applicable coverage you may have presently or in the future, such as your homeowner’s or automobile insurance policies, or through a plan provided through the seller of the telephone.
There is a PDF linked at the bottom of the page that goes into more detail regarding the coverage.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by scottpenderson
"This protection may not be equivalent to or better than other applicable coverage you may have presently or in the future, such as your homeowner’s or automobile insurance policies, or through a plan provided through the seller of the telephone."
That very last paragraph confuses me. What is it trying to say?

Thanks!
Old Aug 10, 2016, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by Siberian_Viktorya
That very last paragraph confuses me. What is it trying to say?

Thanks!
possibly meaning that this is secondary coverage if a primary is in place.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by nmenaker
possibly meaning that this is secondary coverage if a primary is in place.
exactly this. ^

Similar to most car rental insurance through a CC.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 4:38 pm

Have you checked SquareTrade? You can get a better price, just ask.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Apple Care if you're using an iPhone is decent. Doesn't cover loss though.

Many credit card companies will cover the device, if you buy it with their card. Obviously check the fine print, some have restrictions that don't let you have it on a lease and that the full payment must be made with it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.