Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Dual - SIM Android phone with US Warranty - do they exist?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2016, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, UA Premier, Hilton Gold

There are hundreds of great dual sim phones in Asia and to a lesser extent EU, but seem to be none at all in US . The only ones available on Amazon/eBay do not offer a US warranty . Are there any options I might be missing ?

Recently sank $450 into a really nice (for first 2 month) dual-sim Galaxy that I bought on Amazon, but after a 4 month ordeal of trying to get it repaired, I would rather go with an option that actually offers a US-based warranty service.

In summary - looking for a top-of-the line smart phone that would work essentially everywhere and be able to support both a US-based t-mobile SIM as well as a local sim. Perfectly fine with paying the subsidized price for it, but would like at least a 1-2 year warranty in case something goes wrong.

Would prefer Android, but I suppose iPhone could work too - if Dual Sim iPhones even exist (afaik they don't) .
Old Jul 11, 2016, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Qualcom Snapdragon 820 , 2gb+ of RAM and support for all major LTE bands would be nice to have as well.

And if I am going to get really optimistic, here are a few more:
- removable battery
- 32 GB+ ROM , expandable with SD card
- fast charging (QuickCharge 2, 3 or the Motorola equivalent)
- not Phablet sized . Ideally, the size of Sony X Compact or Galaxy S5 at the largest.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 2:12 pm

Asus announced 3 dual sim Zenfone, one of which is the Zenfone 3 Deluxe. I believe they'll be sold in the US market with warranty as Zenfone 2 is offered here and they released Zenfone 3 prices in USD.
http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3...&idPhone2=7535
Larger than you wanted w/ non-removable battery but with QC 3.0, Qualcomm 820 processor, and one of the sim slots can adapt to sd card at the cost of the 2nd sim.
https://www.frequencycheck.com/carri...-united-states
Old Jul 11, 2016, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I believe the Asus ZenPhone 3 line are all dual-sim.

Asus ZenPhone 3 Deluxe (sorry, it's 5.7")
Old Jul 11, 2016, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Specs look very impressive, particularly that list of LTE bands.

Size and battery are a downside, but it certainly beats dragging around 2 phones (or actually 2 phones and a tablet - yay Japan) . Is there any info on the release date? GSMArena states June, which has of course passed.

Originally Posted by freecia
Asus announced 3 dual sim Zenfone, one of which is the Zenfone 3 Deluxe. I believe they'll be sold in the US market with warranty as Zenfone 2 is offered here and they released Zenfone 3 prices in USD.
http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3...&idPhone2=7535
Larger than you wanted w/ non-removable battery but with QC 3.0, Qualcomm 820 processor, and one of the sim slots can adapt to sd card at the cost of the 2nd sim.
https://www.frequencycheck.com/carri...-united-states
Old Jul 11, 2016, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have been reading a Q3 release date. No exact month.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
http://www.pcmag.com/commentary/3459...never-heard-of
Old Jul 11, 2016, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
This guy is using a Blu R1 HD for a month...

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/07...e-for-a-month/
Old Jul 11, 2016, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
This guy is using a Blu R1 HD for a month...

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/07...e-for-a-month/
Edited to add: there is no indication of T-Mobile VoLTE or Wi-Fi Calling support, which are deal-breakers for me if unavailable.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 4:45 pm

Take a look at the OnePlus 3. Great phone so far with a lean Android build. No idea whether it supports VoLTE.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Looked at the Blu phones, but they are really a case of a "backup phone" , not a primary one. According to https://www.amazon.com/BLU-R1-HD-Exc.../dp/B01F9N5QXI , it only supports 4 LTE bands: 2, 4, 7, 17 .

So it will be semi-useless even in parts of US, let alone the world . I am looking to replace my stack of phones with one that would work everywhere, even if it costs as much as all 3 combined.

Wonder if there is a site which lists the phones by the number of LTE bands they support . Frequency Check comes close.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

OnePlus 3 looks great. Two concerns however - many review mention poor battery life. Also, the US version seems to only have a single SIM. The Asian versions are dual sim, but that defeats the purpose of looking for a dual-sim phone with a US warranty.

Originally Posted by Coolers
Take a look at the OnePlus 3. Great phone so far with a lean Android build. No idea whether it supports VoLTE.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 5:39 pm

A friend had build issues on his new OnePlus 3 and seemed to have some troubles getting support to reply in a timely manner with an RMA. If you're looking to purchase a US model to avoid the warranty runaround, perhaps check their general customer service reputation.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 6:32 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
What about third-party insurance? When I paid [what I considered to be] a small fortune for my Samsung S4 several years ago, I bought a policy from Worth Ave. Group because it was cheaper than AT&T's coverage. You can also try SquareTrade, although I've never used them.

It goes without saying that you'd need to read the policy carefully and ensure that it has the coverage that you need.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Edited to add: there is no indication of T-Mobile VoLTE or Wi-Fi Calling support, which are deal-breakers for me if unavailable.
typically only T-mobile branded phones contain VoLTE/WiFi calling support on T-mobile

others: iPhone 6 (and above), nexus line, some windows phones, some "exception" phones like Moto X Pure (VoLTe but no wifi calling), OP3 (VoLTE but no wifi calling), some phones sold by AT&T but someone ported the tmobile ROM over etc, some S7 phones sold by Verizon has VoLTe working on tmobile

Last edited by paperwastage; Jul 12, 2016 at 6:26 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.