Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Dual - SIM Android phone with US Warranty - do they exist?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dual - SIM Android phone with US Warranty - do they exist?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2016, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by yevlesh2
OnePlus 3 looks great. Two concerns however - many review mention poor battery life. Also, the US version seems to only have a single SIM. The Asian versions are dual sim, but that defeats the purpose of looking for a dual-sim phone with a US warranty.
Interesting. I have the Asia/Europe version but I would have sworn all models are dual sim.

Battery life so far has been in line with expectations, certainly comparable with my S6 but easily loses to the fantastic S7 battery.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Is there any info on the release date? GSMArena states June, which has of course passed.
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
I have been reading a Q3 release date. No exact month.
A new article on Android Police just popped up, and they are saying August release date (not sure which countries). The SD820 variant is rumored to be priced at $499.

But, as the AP article says, they will also be releasing an SD821 version...

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/07...xe-on-the-way/
Old Jul 12, 2016, 4:19 pm

Country tracking for Zenfone

From http://focustaiwan.tw/news/aeco/201607120013.aspx
..., the 5.7-inch ZoneFone 3 Deluxe will hit the market soon with a price tag of NT$15,990 and the 6.8-inch ZenFone 3 Ultra will be released on July 27 at a price of NT$17,990, according to the company.

Following the release of the three models in the ZoneFone 3 series, Asus said, it will start mass production, aiming for 1 million units per month.

Asus plans to start with shipments of the ZoneFone 3 model to Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan, and by August will ship all models to the three markets as well as to Vietnam, Malaysia, the Philippines, Indonesia and Thailand.

Shipment will later be expanded to Japan, Italy and the United States, the company said, adding that it is hoping the ZoneFone 3 will help boost its third-quarter sales growth.
* ZoneFone is their typo, I'm just pasting it as I clipped it.

It also doesn't mention India which has a huge dual sim market. I've seen August mentioned for India, so perhaps it will be included in the same release push as Vietnam, Malaysia, the Philippines, Indonesia and Thailand.

IMO - In some ways, it is good to not be the earliest adopter of a new device as quality control is often sacrificed a bit for output volume during product ramp up. They also refine the manufacturing process and tolerances with time.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 5:57 pm

There is a rumor that the iPhone 7 will have dual sims, but we won't know until probably September.
https://www.engadget.com/2016/06/25/iphone-7-spy-shot/
Old Jul 12, 2016, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Part of the Prime Day sale today https://www.amazon.com/Honor-5X-unlo...8376268&sr=1-5

Still not a bad price after though.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 11:41 pm

OnePlus 3 looks great. Two concerns however - many review mention poor battery life. Also, the US version seems to only have a single SIM. The Asian versions are dual sim, but that defeats the purpose of looking for a dual-sim phone with a US warranty.
Both OP2 & OP3 are dual sim. I've had OP2 for the past 8 months and have taken it internationally with no issues. Not sure about battery life issues on the 3, most of the time people are complaining simply because the battery is smaller compared to the OP2. On the bright side the OP3 also has the Dash Charging. The biggest concern about OP actually has been poor customer service/ slow updates, but I haven't had any issues.

I did the same search as you last year, OP is the best option you'll find.None of the large manufacturers are producing dual sims for North America (and I don't even think that a dual sim Iphone exists).
Old Jul 13, 2016, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
I own 2 dual-SIM Androids that you can buy in US with US warranty.

Asus Zenfone 2
Blu 5.0
Old Jul 13, 2016, 1:03 am

Why the emphasis on warranty? I think you're unnecessarily limiting your options.

I don't know how the phone you had could break after just 2 months but it must be some exception. A mid-range phone should survive 2 years of rough handling at least, and if it doesn't, it'll be due to something not covered by the warranty anyway (dropped, got wet, or battery lost capacity).
Old Jul 13, 2016, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ZTE Axon 7 will be released on July 27 (gold only). If you want the silver-ish color, you'll have to wait until August 12.

https://www.amazon.com/ZTE-Axon-unlo.../dp/B01FUF1EL8
Old Jul 14, 2016, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, UA Premier, Hilton Gold
On second thought, let's forget the US warranty requirement as that would significantly limit ones options.

The device in question that broke in two month was a Galaxy S2 Tablet LTE 9.7 (815) , that was not available in US . The device works (when connected to an external screen) - the screen doesn't - which makes it absolutely uselelss as a tablet.

There are absolutely no signs of damage anywhere. No water damage, nothing. The screen has just quit. Samsung insists that it's not covered by warranty since the device was made for an Italian market and I bought it on Amazon in US . Hard to argue with that due to the full pre-purchase disclosure, but extremely annoying none-the-less . And Samsung's quote for just replacing the screen was over $300 - hardly worthwhile for a $450 tablet.

Might try getting the screen replaced next time I am in Hong Kong - they seem to be able to fix pretty much anything at a reasonable price.

Still it, it is hard to argue that this is a sample of one which could very well just be bad luck and it may be foolish to simply write-off hundreds of perfectly functional products for that reason.

Looking into the options discussed in the thread.

Originally Posted by ProleOnParole
Why the emphasis on warranty? I think you're unnecessarily limiting your options.

I don't know how the phone you had could break after just 2 months but it must be some exception. A mid-range phone should survive 2 years of rough handling at least, and if it doesn't, it'll be due to something not covered by the warranty anyway (dropped, got wet, or battery lost capacity).
Old Jul 14, 2016, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, UA Premier, Hilton Gold
Which of the ZenFone 2.0 do you own? How do you like it, particularly in terms of
1) battery life
2) global lte coverage (so getting fast data in random places)
3) Asus bloatware (rootable? )

Originally Posted by joshwex90
I own 2 dual-SIM Androids that you can buy in US with US warranty.

Asus Zenfone 2
Blu 5.0
Old Jul 14, 2016, 8:26 pm

Not an exact match but there's a version of Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro that supports US LTE bands 2 & 4 (not 12 & 17 though). It's a mid-range device (SD650/3GB/32GB) but sells for only $200 in Taiwan (so perhaps it can be bought in HK as well): http://www.mi.com/tw/note3/specs/#brand
Old Jul 15, 2016, 7:23 am

I'm looking at this Samsung J5 (like the smaller 5" screen, 16GB ROM and 13MP camera). Anyone with experience? Will it work with US T-Mobile?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016XH1KTS...d_i=B0147LDSG0
Old Jul 15, 2016, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On second thought, let's forget the US warranty requirement as that would significantly limit ones options.
I honestly don't think you should dismiss it just yet. The Axon 7, ZenFone 3 Deluxe, and OnePlus 3 are all solid phones that will be services with a US-based warranty.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Which of the ZenFone 2.0 do you own? How do you like it, particularly in terms of
1) battery life
2) global lte coverage (so getting fast data in random places)
3) Asus bloatware (rootable? )
Actually pretty happy with the battery

Global LTE is OK. Not the best but acceptable and fine

Bloatware is a mix. Not nearly as bad as TouchWiz, and some of the pre-installed apps can actually be removed without root. And some of them are pretty nifty. But not as vanilla as LG, and certainly nothing like Motorola or Nexus devices. I give this a 7/10 (I rate Samsung at 4/10 and LG at 9/10 to give you a baseline)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.