Wiki Posts
Search

iOS Wifi Calling

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2016, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

iOS Wifi Calling

I've moved the discussion of wifi calling to its own thread from this one.

Last edited by gfunkdave; Jul 8, 2016 at 8:23 am
Old Jul 7, 2016, 7:22 am

iOS Wifi Calling

Originally Posted by zcarenow
thanks. tmobile did tell me about free wifi calling when i travel abroad.
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I think all the carriers offer that nowadays. Verizon, AT&T, Tmo do...not sure about Sprint.
The wifi calling for all the carriers, including TMO, Vz, ATT - when used stateside is to supplement cellular reception.

But TMO offers a particular feature on their wifi calling which the others don't: all calls originating from abroad to a USA number is free of any roaming or other charges. Years back TMO launched this on non-iphone models and it was called UMA wifi calling. Since iOS 8 and model 5, it is now also available on iPhones.

For years with UMA wifi, I would be sitting in hotel or elsewhere in Asia, calling home via TMO free of charge!

Re your other question, Verizon iPhones also allows for sim cards and gsm service domestically and internationally.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dtsm
The wifi calling for all the carriers, including TMO, Vz, ATT - when used stateside is to supplement cellular reception.

But TMO offers a particular feature on their wifi calling which the others don't: all calls originating from abroad to a USA number is free of any roaming or other charges. Years back TMO launched this on non-iphone models and it was called UMA wifi calling. Since iOS 8 and model 5, it is now also available on iPhones.

For years with UMA wifi, I would be sitting in hotel or elsewhere in Asia, calling home via TMO free of charge!

Re your other question, Verizon iPhones also allows for sim cards and gsm service domestically and internationally.
Right. I'm saying that Verizon (I know) and AT&T (I think) and Sprint (I think) just take wifi calling from anywhere in the world out of your normal monthly call time allowance. I too could sit in a hotel lobby in Asia and make free wifi calls all day.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 9:42 am

Right. I'm saying that Verizon (I know) .
Can you confirm that using wifi calling on Verizon is free of charge when initiating a call from abroad back to stateside number?

What iOS is required as on my Verizon 5s device, running 8.1.x, there is no wifi calling feature in the settings?
Old Jul 7, 2016, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dtsm
Can you confirm that using wifi calling on Verizon is free of charge when initiating a call from abroad back to stateside number?

What iOS is required as on my Verizon 5s device, running 8.1.x, there is no wifi calling feature in the settings?
You need iOS 9.3 and at least an iPhone 6.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/suppo...-calling-faqs/
Old Jul 7, 2016, 12:03 pm

^^^
Old Jul 7, 2016, 6:13 pm

Programs: United MP

What about the iPhone SE?
Old Jul 7, 2016, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by DeafFlyer
What about the iPhone SE?
Wi-Fi calling is more dependent on software and carrier service. According to Apple, the earliest phone to support it is the 5c.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203032

Going back to zcarenow's original question, if buying used off eBay, I'd get a Verizon 5s, 32gig. You're going to be traveling, so you'll want space for photos.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 12:07 am

Right. I'm saying that Verizon (I know) and AT&T (I think) and Sprint (I think) just take wifi calling from anywhere in the world out of your normal monthly call time allowance. I too could sit in a hotel lobby in Asia and make free wifi calls all day.
I can confirm that ATT WIFI calling works worldwide (I have iPhone 6s). Heck, I even received a spam call on the plane (purchased wifi) over ocean!!
Old Jul 8, 2016, 4:35 pm

ATT wifi calling, however, doesn't work in countries where VOIP calling is illegal or subject to heavy government regulations.

https://www.att.com/esupport/article...less/KM1063258

Last edited by gfunkdave; Jul 8, 2016 at 5:19 pm Reason: made the link clickable
Old Jul 9, 2016, 4:17 pm

I've been a Verizon customer for years, I've never heard of this. Thanks to this thread and these instructions I have now enabled this feature and will give it a shot on my next int'l trip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.