Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Security Best Practices with Public Networks and Computers

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2016, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
I always use my phone's mobile hotspot whenever possible. I assume this is more secure than, say, a hotel's wireless. True?
Old Oct 10, 2016, 1:54 am

It is probably easier to use simple passwords and burner email addresses on meaningless websites and don’t actually put real personal information in them. So basically your pet grooming forum or TV series fans website or whatever.

That actually reduces potential attack surfaces.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 11:09 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by Bonehead
I always use my phone's mobile hotspot whenever possible. I assume this is more secure than, say, a hotel's wireless. True?
with a good WPA2 password to the phone, sure.. otherwise it's just all going over the same data channel to the tower.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum, WN CP, National EE, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Hilton Diamond, Sheraton Gold
"Trust no one."

I'm one of those paranoid guys, so I never use hotel wifi, public wifi, airport wifi, coffee shop wifi.. I won't even touch a public computer... When away from the home, everything goes over cellular (iPhone, iPad) and my MacBook Pro over my iPhone hotspot..

https://www.cnet.com/news/darkhotel-...otel-internet/
Old Oct 14, 2016, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I find I'm perfectly content with VPN to my home router. In fact, I'm on FlyerTalk via my home VPN from a Courtyard Marriott in Scottsdale now.

Home vpn in this case is OpenVPN using TLS.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 11:56 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by Bonehead
I always use my phone's mobile hotspot whenever possible. I assume this is more secure than, say, a hotel's wireless.
I also use this method, with a WPA2 password. I then use Logmein with 2 step verification to connect to my home computer. I then have access to everything I might need and never store anything important on my travel laptop. No passwords are stored on the laptop.

Anyone see vulnerabilities in this?
Old Oct 23, 2016, 11:49 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, Avis First
In regards to hotel/kiosk computers. I also strongly recommend avoiding their use. But if you have to, here's a quick tip: Reboot the PC before you begin, and reboot it again when done.

Many hotels configure their PCs to revert to a clean state on each reboot (which they then automatically trigger daily). This is to clean off all the junk/malware that guests may have introduced to the system during the day. While far from a guarantee, a reboot before might help remove any malware on the system before you enter your password. And a reboot after would clean up any cookies you left beyond (before malware introduced by the next user steals that data).
Old Oct 23, 2016, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Janus
In regards to hotel/kiosk computers. I also strongly recommend avoiding their use. But if you have to, here's a quick tip: Reboot the PC before you begin, and reboot it again when done.

Many hotels configure their PCs to revert to a clean state on each reboot (which they then automatically trigger daily). This is to clean off all the junk/malware that guests may have introduced to the system during the day. While far from a guarantee, a reboot before might help remove any malware on the system before you enter your password. And a reboot after would clean up any cookies you left beyond (before malware introduced by the next user steals that data).
A reboot won't clear persistent cookies, just session cookies. If you run the browser in Incognito/Private mode, it will delete persistent cookies once that browser window is closed.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 2:14 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
A reboot won't clear persistent cookies, just session cookies. If you run the browser in Incognito/Private mode, it will delete persistent cookies once that browser window is closed.
I think you missed my point. Many hotels use tools like Windows SteadyState, Deep Freeze, etc which wipe all changes on reboot. It's like rolling back a virtual machine snapshot on every reboot.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Janus
I think you missed my point. Many hotels use tools like Windows SteadyState, Deep Freeze, etc which wipe all changes on reboot. It's like rolling back a virtual machine snapshot on every reboot.
Ah, you're right. I didn't quite catch that for some reason.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Checked today:
Originally Posted by amazon.com
Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
Do we know of another source?

Sorry for late query. My March 2017 thread was closed with a recommendation to read this thread.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Roger
Checked today:

Do we know of another source?

Sorry for late query. My March 2017 thread was closed with a recommendation to read this thread.
Just search Amazon for "fido u2f" and you will see many options. The "Fido U2F" is a certification that many manufacturers' products attain. Yubico is a popular brand. Here's one of theirs, which is also "Amazon's Choice": http://a.co/gre0aAP
Old Mar 15, 2017, 3:39 pm

The BIGGEST improvement to security you can do is to...LOCK YOUR PHONE and make sure it doesn't show anything on the standby screen. Second-best is to make sure you have a good e-mail password.

I see many people pushing 2-factor authentication and "complex" passwords, but if I manage to get your phone and it's not hiding everything, you're screwed. There goes your bank, your e-mail, etc. As to the CoMp1Ex! passwords, I've never had that stop us in an investigation, and I'm assuming the same is true for hackers as well. Long passwords stop us, not complexity. Complex passwords lead to forgotten passwords, recycled passwords, and passwords written down on paper.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 4:34 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
As for public networks, whenever I am on one, I am using redsocks / proxydroid with an OpenSSH server hiding behind sslh -- my server serves ordinary HTTPS websites just fine but also it is a proxy for me. Unlike everything else I tried, this is never blocked. Who blocks port 443 traffic?
Old Mar 19, 2017, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Just search Amazon for "fido u2f" and you will see many options. The "Fido U2F" is a certification that many manufacturers' products attain. Yubico is a popular brand. Here's one of theirs, which is also "Amazon's Choice": http://a.co/gre0aAP
Thanks for the advice. I checked Amazon UK who offer the Yubico for £17.50 and similar from £7.95.

I'll buy when I get back later this week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.