Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Inflight Internet Access

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2016, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Inflight Internet Access

Now that we're seeing more and more international flights with internet access, I'm curious if people have started with voice conversations with people on the other end. Doesn't matter which client their using (so it could be Skype, Facetime, WeChat, etc.) but are we starting to see this happening? And if you have encountered this (hard to see it on older model planes with all the background noise) how did you (or someone else on the flight) deal with it?

(Note, I haven't been on these flights, but I am curious as whether it's happening or not)
Old Mar 28, 2016, 10:07 pm

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
I have made a Skype call from my seat in EY F with very good call and video quality.

Using headphones and mic I don't believe I disturbed anyone else.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 10:11 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the Travel Technology Forum.

Thanks...
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Mar 29, 2016, 7:32 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
Now that we're seeing more and more international flights with internet access, I'm curious if people have started with voice conversations with people on the other end. Doesn't matter which client their using (so it could be Skype, Facetime, WeChat, etc.) but are we starting to see this happening? And if you have encountered this (hard to see it on older model planes with all the background noise) how did you (or someone else on the flight) deal with it?

(Note, I haven't been on these flights, but I am curious as whether it's happening or not)
I have Skyped without video on BR and AC.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 8:25 am

Programs: DL GM
Some major airlines forbid VOIP calls via their WiFi.

Some examples here, including links to individual airline policy etc.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 8:48 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by WWGuy
Some major airlines forbid VOIP calls via their WiFi.

Some examples here, including links to individual airline policy etc.
AC forbids it. I think BR forbids it. It doesn't stop me though
Old Apr 7, 2016, 12:39 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Ex. PLT, Delta Diamond
I haven't seen anyone using skype on any flight. It might be utilized more in the enclosed cabins on some of the fancier airlines. I would think that most people don't want other people to know their business (personal) and that seems to be where most people would use skype. I would never use skype, unless required, for a business call. More for a family call.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 6:03 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
I've tried FaceTime using the complimentary wifi on Norwegian Air Shuttle (DY), the wifi is good enough for internet and email but FaceTime didn't work. Aslo, DY blocks Netflix because they want people to purchase their own entertainment.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
I've used facetime, ooma and at&t wifi calling on gogo inflight and united wifi. when using my noise cancelling headphone and the inline mike on them, nobody had any idea I was talking to someone on the other end of the line. They couldn't hear me at all on the plane, while the party on the far end heard me just fine.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 7:16 pm

Guilty.

I used FaceTime to video chat with my family on a nonstop from DFW to HKG. It worked great and showing my son the view out the window while in flight was awesome. I was in J and had headphones in so I didn't bother anyone, plus it was J... So no one was going to stop me.

According to that article linked above, AA will block whatever they don't want you to use...
Old Jun 3, 2016, 8:52 am

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Has anyone connected back to their office via vpn on a laptop/tablet? I typically remote desktop into my work computer and it would be completely awesome to do that on an international flight.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 8:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SamirD
Has anyone connected back to their office via vpn on a laptop/tablet? I typically remote desktop into my work computer and it would be completely awesome to do that on an international flight.
Works for me for GoGo inflight on Air Canada.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 9:29 am

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Works for me for GoGo inflight on Air Canada.
I've done it too using Gogo on a domestic flight. I'm curious if anyone has tried it on an International flight?
Old Jun 5, 2016, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by SamirD
I pretty much ALWAYS connect with a VPN back to office or other VPN provider, as the wifi onboard is inherently un-secure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.