Wiki Posts
Search

Lenovo P-series laptops?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2016, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet
I've been playing the "just wait a bit longer and you'll get what you really want" game since August of last year
That game is a classic. Some people play it for decades.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
That game is a classic. Some people play it for decades.
The Skull Canyon NUCs using the i7-6770HQ releases 4/30; I'd expect to see laptops with the Iris Pro CPUs releasing shortly after.

Sadly, waiting on Intel has gotten really annoying the past few years.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by nkedel
The Skull Canyon NUCs using the i7-6770HQ releases 4/30; I'd expect to see laptops with the Iris Pro CPUs releasing shortly after.

Sadly, waiting on Intel has gotten really annoying the past few years.
http://arstechnica.com/information-t...-each-process/

you're gonna wait longer

tick/tock-> tick/tock/optimize
Old Apr 9, 2016, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by paperwastage
http://arstechnica.com/information-t...-each-process/

you're gonna wait longer

tick/tock-> tick/tock/optimize
In general, yes, I'm aware of that change (and for some people, the non-core changes going into Kaby Lake may be worth waiting for.)

For the rest of this generation's processors, enough sites are taking pre-orders for Skull Canyon that I think that one is a pretty safe release date.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 2:00 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet
I had originally planned on buying a P50 once they were released, but the quad cores available are very power hungry, and it ships with a 190W power supply. I still travel regularly and was concerned about both the weight and the ability to use/charge it in-flight.
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPa...r/td-p/3357102 a 90W charger either can run the P50 or if it's shut down then it can charge the battery. That thread tested the very travel friendly 90W Ultraslim AC/DC Combo Adapter.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 1:11 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, SQ Krisflyer PPS, UA 1p, Marriot Lifetime Platinum, American EXP
Lenovo P Series

The organization I am with at the end of last year made the switch from Lenovo to Dell. My group mostly had the W series but we had a few P series, now we all have Dell Precision machines. Personally, I prefer the Lenovo and own T and P series. I can make some comparisons between the 2 machines from a 1st hand perspective.
Weight: Dell wins the W and P series are heavier unlike others this is not a factor I just as a deal breaker when selecting machines. I am not looking for the thinnest or lightest just the most capable.
Power supplies: I rate as even since neither of these can be used on a airplane to charge the systems because of the draw. If forced to choose the Dell mini brick takes less space that the 170w Lenovo brick
Battery life: Even, Wish I could get what the manufactures state in either case but since I actually use the machine this never happens, some of the Lenovo have a 2nd battery option which is nice
Capabilities: Lenovo I can just get more into the Lenovo we have had up to 4 SSD's in a single machine pretty nice and 64GB of memory and having the option of a DVD drive works for me.
Performance: Subjective review since the machines are different, using a W530 and windows 7 vs. a Dell Precision with windows 10 I ran a complex SQL query (both machines had the same SQL installed) and the Lenovo surprised me by completing faster than the new machine. I base these results on the SSD in use, once we changed the Dell to a new NvMe (flash) drive the results changed, no chance to test this with the Lenovo.

Summary Love the Lenovo and for my own machines these are what I own the Dell is capable but I hate the mouse pad. Dell does offer a nice feature that if it detects a external mouse it can disable the pad (I always disable the pad on the ThinkPad's also).
I do not think you will go wrong with the ThinkPad if you are willing to spend the extra money, we have had our first Dell failure 3 month old machine (0 Lenovo failures in 3 years). Everyone travels a large amount so we will see how well they hold up.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by swanscn
The organization I am with at the end of last year made the switch from Lenovo to Dell. My group mostly had the W series but we had a few P series, now we all have Dell Precision machines. Personally, I prefer the Lenovo and own T and P series. I can make some comparisons between the 2 machines from a 1st hand perspective.
Weight: Dell wins the W and P series are heavier unlike others this is not a factor I just as a deal breaker when selecting machines. I am not looking for the thinnest or lightest just the most capable.
Power supplies: I rate as even since neither of these can be used on a airplane to charge the systems because of the draw. If forced to choose the Dell mini brick takes less space that the 170w Lenovo brick
Which Precision? It sounds like a comparison between the Dell Precision 5510 (or possibly the new 5520) and the P-/W- series which isn't really a representative comparison. I suppose you could also be talking about the lower-end 3510; if so I have no experience with those but they're basically an overpriced, rebadged Latitude 5570.

From what I've seen, the truly comparable Dell model, the 7510 shouldn't be any lighter, and it uses a 180W brick that is pretty beastly.

Capabilities: Lenovo I can just get more into the Lenovo we have had up to 4 SSD's in a single machine pretty nice and 64GB of memory and having the option of a DVD drive works for me.
That's definitely the 5510/5520, then, as the 7510 and 7710 can go to 64gb. The do have the same disk limits, although the 5510 is limited to M.2-only with the bigger battery and the 7510 can always do M.2+2.5"

Performance: Subjective review since the machines are different, using a W530 and windows 7 vs. a Dell Precision with windows 10 I ran a complex SQL query (both machines had the same SQL installed) and the Lenovo surprised me by completing faster than the new machine. I base these results on the SSD in use, once we changed the Dell to a new NvMe (flash) drive the results changed, no chance to test this with the Lenovo.
Processor speeds have not gone up much between generations, and the thinner Dell models (M3800, 5510, 5520) all use a wattage-reduced configuration. The SSD model, and the Windows installation will also matter a lot, as you noted.

Summary Love the Lenovo and for my own machines these are what I own the Dell is capable but I hate the mouse pad. Dell does offer a nice feature that if it detects a external mouse it can disable the pad (I always disable the pad on the ThinkPad's also).
The 5510/5520 uses a "wants to be a Mac" clickpad, and a low-travel keyboard (plus missing the page up/page down keys). The 7510 and 7710 both uses the same traditional touchpad + pointing stick as the Latitude line, and have the same keyboard layout. Sadly, they have the 10-key which for my use is a major minus as it puts the keyboard off-center.

As I said up-thread, after looking at the present generation, I went with a quad-core business laptop, the Latitude E5470 rather than anybody's workstation model. Vastly cheaper, essentially equal CPU power to the thin/light workstations (and not enough difference from the full-power ones to matter) and 32Gb memory.

Lenovo offers a similar model, the T460p for those who prefer their ergonomics, and the Kaby Lake refresh of that, the T470p is upcoming (personally, I'd look for its release as a chance to get the T460p on discount; there's little reason to upgrade to Kaby Lake.)
Old Feb 2, 2017, 8:23 am
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Last summer my company went through a comparison of the Lenovo 460 series that I was involved in, and we now buy a combination of the plain "460", and the "460s". Not sure why the "p" didn't make the cut.

Both 460 versions we are buying (and I think we have twenty total so-far) have been outstanding. No failures in the lot, and users are happy with the battery life and weight.

Earlier in the year we were buying X1 Carbons, and let's just say the current generation can be temperamental. And the Carbon's are way overpriced (but they do look cool). Additionally the Carbon's docking stations are POS.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 9:06 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum, SQ Krisflyer PPS, UA 1p, Marriot Lifetime Platinum, American EXP
just for clarity

The dell I referred to in my post is a 5510
Old Feb 3, 2017, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by swanscn
The dell I referred to in my post is a 5510
Nice machines. Arguably the choice of a PC for people with MBP 15" envy (or at least was until the 5520 came out; very mild refresh that it is.)

But definitely not comparable to the Lenovo W or P series (or Dell's full-size Precision models; the 7510 is their P50 equivalent.) It's basically a higher-end version of the XPS 15 with a professional GPU* and some slightly different CPU options, .

(* although it's a slower one; ISV certified version vs. gaming version.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.