Wiki Posts
Search

Getting around iPhone lock

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2016, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by scubadu
Honestly, at this point, I'm not even sure what you are asking from this forum. Your choices are pretty clear and all them cost you money; only you can decide how much you are willing to spend in order to accomplish your desired use case. Nobody here can decide that for you.

People already told you the options you have for "getting around iPhone lock" which is your threads title. If you want a carrier to subsidize your phone because you don't want or can't afford the upfront cost, than that is the deal you made. There really isn't a "way around it"

So, the options have been laid out and the ball is in your court. Good luck

Regards
On occasion on FT, I've read threads about people buying unlocked iPhones for foreign travel. Per my original post, I've purchased two iPhone 6's in 2015, and don't want to purchase a third because I lost the old trusty iPhone 4/5 with a TIM SIM that I would use when in Italy.

Apple told me my only option is to spend $700 again. I've read posts by people who've been able to use their phone or buy a new one without that expense. I'd like to not buy my third iPhone within 12 months.

Originally Posted by dtsm
^^

1. If you decide to buy new phone, get it from apple directly. That way guaranteed factory unlocked - although Vz sells theirs factory unlocked, others don't automatically. The most versatile iphones with max bandwidth coverages are either the Vz or ATT model.

2. If you go with 6s, get at least 64 gb, whatever you do, don't buy the 16gb models.

3. Used and unlocked iPhone 5, 5s, even 4s are available for very reasonable prices. 4s can be had for $100 or less depending on condition, 5s under $250. If you buy from eBay, make sure seller has perfect 100% rating and is a private rather than mass seller. I've bought and sold BB, iPhones for friends and families on both eBay and CL without ever a problem.

Good luck!
That's what I'm looking for. I already tried Apple, they said $700. I'm hoping to buy a 5 or 5s, or even a 4s, as I'm only going to be in Italy for two months this time. I've always been leery about eBay, buying from an unknown person. I need this within a week, as that's when I leave.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 8:37 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
So what you're truly asking for is a referral to a known reliable source of reasonably priced used/refurbished iPhones for your travel that can get that delivered to you within a week.

I don't have a suggestion as I have never had to buy a replacement smartphone. My current iPhone 6 64 GB is on ATTs installment plan and I just give my father my old iPhones. I can only say when I was in your shoes I purchased a Blu phone on Amazon (shipped in 2 days) and used a Mobal sim that repackages the T-mobile international plan of unlimited data & text, 30 cents a minute calls (US based phone number) for 50$ for 30days.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by Perche
I need this within a week, as that's when I leave.
Easy - CL will have plenty.

Just bring sim card and pin to install to test drive before handing over the cash. Ideally met at network store to verify clean IMEI. A honest seller won't have problems with this!

Another non-apple option is to get an Android via CL. Again, follow same procedure. Tons of both iphones and Androids available, esp n SFO area!

Example: unlocked4s -- http://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/s...e+4s++unlocked

Last edited by dtsm; Jan 6, 2016 at 9:07 am
Old Jan 6, 2016, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Easy - CL will have plenty.

Just bring sim card and pin to install to test drive before handing over the cash. Ideally met at network store to verify clean IMEI. A honest seller won't have problems with this!

Another non-apple option is to get an Android via CL. Again, follow same procedure. Tons of both iphones and Androids available, esp n SFO area!

Example: unlocked4s -- http://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/s...e+4s++unlocked
OK, thanks for the tips. I'm going to try that.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Today only, electronics.woot.com has an unlocked refurb 16GB iPhone 5s for $229.

http://electronics.woot.com/?ref=w_gh_el_3
Old Jan 6, 2016, 11:52 am

If you want a reliable source of second hand phones, use swappa.com.

You could also try ATT again and see if you get a different answer - are you explaining to them that it's because you travel internationally for longer periods of time? They're not obligated to do it for that reason, but you may get a sympathetic agent.

For these phones, cheap $20 (or even free) SIM unlock codes aren't really available.

What's the ETF on your line? If you pay the ETF will they unlock you?
Old Jan 6, 2016, 12:45 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Today only, electronics.woot.com has an unlocked refurb 16GB iPhone 5s for $229.

My experience with Woot is that shipping is really slow.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by cblaisd
My experience with Woot is that shipping is really slow.
^^

Reliable but can take 3-4 wks to deliver....

Amazon and prime delivery would be faster/reliable option.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

^^

Reliable but can take 3-4 wks to deliver....
I used to have that experience, but the last few things I've bought have arrived within a week.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 1:07 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
...Amazon and prime delivery would be faster/reliable option.
I would concur. If the OP absolutely has to have something in a short window, Amazon prime is the way to go. Craigslist comes with its own time-sucks and worries.

It isn't clear to me, though, why an iPhone is absolutely needed. I concur with those who point to the Blu line as a very decent backup phone and very reasonably priced (ScottC originally put me on to).
Old Jan 6, 2016, 2:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by gfunkdave

Thanks for the heads up, Dave. Pulled the trigger on one of these.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 4:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Walmart is selling a new iPhone 5S for $299 right now.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Straight-T...phone/33152936

ETA: I did some checking on this phone, and it's probably not a good solution for the OP (or me) because it is probably locked to the Straight Talk network for some period, though that info is very difficult to find and confirm online. The Walmart counter person really didn't understand my questions to my satisfaction.

Last edited by Doc Savage; Jan 6, 2016 at 7:33 pm
Old Jan 6, 2016, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stargold
iPhone warranties are country specific and there are limitations for getting repairs done in a different country from where the phone was purchased.

iPads are global warranty in the same way as other Apple products such as the Macbooks.
No--I didn't take them to an Apple store, but a local computer shop that advertises such repairs.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 11:57 pm

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
You can also try one of the sketchy unlocking services—can't vouch for any of them off hand, but I know friends who have used them with success in the past. Basic idea is that you pay them some amount of money and they pay off someone inside AT&T who will unlock the IMEI against policy.

Google turns up a number of companies that promise they can do it for ~$50-$100. Presumably, you can do a chargeback if it turns out not to work.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 3:02 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by Perche
I wish I had done that: just paid full price for the phone, without having to lock into a specific carrier for two years, and having freedom. I didn't do it because I purchased a new iPhone 6, which was expensive, then when two replacement glass screens broke twice for $350 and my only choice was a new, unsubsidized one for $700, or take a new 2 year contract at a lower price, I took the latter.

I'm seeing unlocked iPhone 4's on Amazon for $60. Unlocked iPhone 5's for 150-300. Tempted to do that, or spend another $150 on a 3rd party screen for the broken phone in the closet.
Do you want an unlocked phone for calls and texts as well as data?

Or if you're mainly interested in data, you might be able to get a good deal on an iPad mini 2 with LTE, which will actually get LTE in Italy and rest of Europe.

Older iPhones may or may not get LTE in Europe.

I have a T-Mobile iPhone 6s Plus for their free international data, texts and 20 cents a minute voice. Just switched from AT&T in October.

The I have iPad with LTE for the local sims.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.