Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Google Inbox app reads all my travel plans, even ones I sent as PDF files!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Google Inbox app reads all my travel plans, even ones I sent as PDF files!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2015, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BelgianWaffle
If I use third-party email encryption and then send the email via Gmail,
is it just as dangerous? Short of Skynet, I think Google is the most
likely entity to have the ability to break through encryption, no?
If you encrypt your emails with PGP then nobody can read them.

Google is not super-human, and can't break crypto. The NSA *might* be able to, at least for larger key sizes than might be generally expected.

Of course, you'll need to find enough people to correspond with who think it's worth the time and bother of encrypting everything with PGP.

Define "dangerous". I use Gmail for everything and couldn't care less if Google is scanning my mail to serve me ads.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 3:01 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
If you encrypt your emails with PGP then nobody can read them.

I use Gmail for everything and couldn't care less if Google is scanning my mail to serve me ads.
^ This. Privacy doesn't exist anymore. You can wrap yourself up in aluminium foil (or the digital equivalent) - it has little effect in the long run.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by MAN Pax
^ This. Privacy doesn't exist anymore. You can wrap yourself up in aluminium foil (or the digital equivalent) - it has little effect in the long run.
The Paris attackers managed to plan and carry out their co-ordinated attacks without drawing attention to themselves, so clearly the ability to spy on people is not quite as advanced as many would like to believe. Or perhaps their messages were encrypted in the sense they were in French or Arabic.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 5:04 am

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
The Paris attackers managed to plan and carry out their co-ordinated attacks without drawing attention to themselves, so clearly the ability to spy on people is not quite as advanced as many would like to believe. Or perhaps their messages were encrypted in the sense they were in French or Arabic.
Can't believe you've even posted that.

Reading travel itineraries is a world away from what happened in Paris and the state sponsored surveillance that goes along with it.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 5:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MAN Pax
what will happen when Google's massive servers worldwide become self-aware?
Google's abandoned motto, Dont' Be Evil, only applied to the humans running
Google. Google's servers never made such promises. When they become
self-aware, what assurance do we have that they won't do evils to humans?

Old Nov 16, 2015, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

what will happen when Google's massive servers worldwide become self-aware?
Google's abandoned motto, Dont' Be Evil, only applied to the humans running
Google. Google's servers never made such promises. When they become
self-aware, what assurance do we have that they won't do evils to humans?

Put down the sci-fi novel and join us in 2015!
Old Nov 16, 2015, 9:01 pm
Original Poster

Put down the sci-fi novel and join us in 2015!
In 2004, my brother-in-law sold the house, two cars, and emptied the family bank accounts. He poured all family assets into buying Apple, Inc. stocks. I thought he went crazy. My sister even got a divorce lawyer and started divorce proceedings. Somehow he convinced her to stay with him. Nobody else, myself included, was convinced. We even tried to convince my sister to get the brother-in-law committed, or at the very least, examined by a qualified mental health professional.

Fast forward 10 years. My sister and brother-in-law have more money than they know what to do with. All they do now is go on vacations every month. In fact, their whole life has been turned into a big nonstop vacation. They always fly first class on Emirates... even go out of their way to fly Emirates so they can buy first class. They were going to Japan for Christmas last year. They live in Los Angeles, which is only 11 or 12 hours nonstop to Tokyo. Instead, they took the LOOONG connection flight from LAX to Dubai to Tokyo, just so they could fly Emirates first class. I'm happy for them... but I also wish I had listened to him and bought Apple stocks with all my money.

My point is that *anything* is possible. If I told you to buy Apple stocks in 2004, you'd probably have me committed as well.(or at least buy me a very big tinfoil hat)
Old Nov 17, 2015, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In 2004, my brother-in-law sold the house, two cars, and emptied the family bank accounts. He poured all family assets into buying Apple, Inc. stocks. I thought he went crazy. My sister even got a divorce lawyer and started divorce proceedings. Somehow he convinced her to stay with him. Nobody else, myself included, was convinced. We even tried to convince my sister to get the brother-in-law committed, or at the very least, examined by a qualified mental health professional.

Fast forward 10 years. My sister and brother-in-law have more money than they know what to do with. All they do now is go on vacations every month. In fact, their whole life has been turned into a big nonstop vacation. They always fly first class on Emirates... even go out of their way to fly Emirates so they can buy first class. They were going to Japan for Christmas last year. They live in Los Angeles, which is only 11 or 12 hours nonstop to Tokyo. Instead, they took the LOOONG connection flight from LAX to Dubai to Tokyo, just so they could fly Emirates first class. I'm happy for them... but I also wish I had listened to him and bought Apple stocks with all my money.

My point is that *anything* is possible. If I told you to buy Apple stocks in 2004, you'd probably have me committed as well.(or at least buy me a very big tinfoil hat)
Can the tinfoil hat be made of Apple stock?
Old Nov 17, 2015, 8:06 am

You'll be needing iFoil. It's on release tomorrow - better get in line at the store now. Bring your beard
Old Nov 17, 2015, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

I thought all Apple employees were required to wear tinfoil hats at work?

Back to Google scanning the PDF in my email and putting everything in my Google Calendar....

Is the scanning limited to text only? What will happen if my girlfriend(a registered nurse in Boston) emails me a nude photo of her in her uniform, along with the note "see you next Saturday? (she's flying in to see me on Saturday day) Will Google scan the photo and decide that I have a doctor's appointment on Saturday?

Come to think of it, I guess I should look in to EVERYTHING in my Google Calendar and make sure there's nothing in there that other people shouldn't see. I do let my co-worker and secretary access Google Calendar on my work computer, but only when I'm in the same room.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 5:12 pm

Is the scanning limited to text only? What will happen if my girlfriend(a registered nurse in Boston) emails me a nude photo of her in her uniform, along with the note "see you next Saturday? (she's flying in to see me on Saturday day) Will Google scan the photo and decide that I have a doctor's appointment on Saturday?
That's a really good question. I think you should send a test email direct to me to see what Google makes of it
Old Nov 17, 2015, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Just send a password protected itinerary to yourself and see what happens.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 5:50 pm

My point is that *anything* is possible
Yes, stocks can rise or fall on the stock market. But I'm missing the next step: how does that demonstrate that anything is possible? If the Apple shares had turned into a donkey, then sprouted wings, and then flown faster than the speed of light, I would be more inclined to agree with you.

And I would also like a copy of the girlfriend's email.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 7:14 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Indeed. When you try to monitor too much, you make haystacks get bigger; and that neans needles get lost more easily in the created haystacks.

But even encryption need not be advanced/used for communications to be masked. Video game comm channels being monitored wouldn't necessarily lead to a whole lot of proper understanding about a criminal plot being in the works.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Google: "All Your Itinerary Are Belong To Us".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.