Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Verizon Travelpass - $5/day or $10/day -use existing data/voice/plan in 140 countries

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Verizon Travelpass - $5/day or $10/day -use existing data/voice/plan in 140 countries

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2016, 7:17 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by lrm72
A quick question about Travelpass: does anyone know how you are billed if you use your phone in multiple foreign countries within the 24 hour period? Is it $10 for use in a foreign country or $10 per country?
Answered on Jan 12, 2016.
Originally Posted by TWA884
From the TravelPass FAQs:

What happens when I travel to multiple countries covered by TravelPass?

You are only charged one daily fee per 24 hours for TravelPass, even if you travel within multiple covered countries.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The problem is that Japan uses different cell phone standards, so most foreign phones don't work there. There might be a couple other countries that are exceptions in this way.
Not true, at least as I write this.

They support standard UTMS on Bands 1,8,9,11,19. (this is disappearing as more of these are converted to LTE)
They support standard LTE on Bands 1, 8, 9, 11, 18, 21, 28, 41.

The issue many Verizon users have is that Verizon cripples their phones so their radios only support Bands 4 & 13, the frequencies Verizon uses in the USA. The same model phones by other US carriers support the most common European & Asian frequencies, so it's not a physical hardware limitation.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 10:49 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by KRSW
Not true, at least as I write this.

They support standard UTMS on Bands 1,8,9,11,19. (this is disappearing as more of these are converted to LTE)
They support standard LTE on Bands 1, 8, 9, 11, 18, 21, 28, 41.

The issue many Verizon users have is that Verizon cripples their phones so their radios only support Bands 4 & 13, the frequencies Verizon uses in the USA. The same model phones by other US carriers support the most common European & Asian frequencies, so it's not a physical hardware limitation.
My new Verizon Droid Turbo 2 supports LTE bands 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, and 13.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 10:56 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KRSW
Your information is way out of date.

For example, my Verizon LG G4 supports LTE bands 2, 3, 4, 5, 7 and 13, and Verizon's version of the iPhone 6 supports LTE bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, and 29.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 7:54 am

I'm using TravelPass in Portugal right.

Voice and text messaging work perfectly on mt Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, but data is problematic. My browser, Google Now and Facebook work as well as they should; however, several apps that I frequently use, including Gmail do not work. Google Maps loads, but does not provide directions and Uber only sporatically loads up the map.

I was on the phone with Verizon Global Support alst night. the rep blamed teh problems on the local network operator, MEO. He instructed me to manually select Vodafone Portugal, except that the connection attempts repately fail. Time to call them again.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 8:40 am

I'm using TravelPass in Portugal right.

Voice and text messaging work perfectly on mt Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, but data is problematic. My browser, Google Now and Facebook work as well as they should; however, several apps that I frequently use, including Gmail do not work. Google Maps loads, but does not provide directions and Uber only sporatically loads up the map.

I was on the phone with Verizon Global Support alst night. the rep blamed teh problems on the local network operator, MEO. He instructed me to manually select Vodafone Portugal, except that the connection attempts repately fail. Time to call them again.
Problem solved.

This representative had me reset all network settings and that did the trick. Everything is working as it should be.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 11:40 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
I had a similar problem in Puerto Rico a few years back. Everything looked good on both ends, but data was no-go.

In the end, it just took it about 2 hours and then it worked fine the rest of the trip.

I've not had any problems with Travelpass since then.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by bchandler02
I had a similar problem in Puerto Rico a few years back. Everything looked good on both ends, but data was no-go.

In the end, it just took it about 2 hours and then it worked fine the rest of the trip.

I've not had any problems with Travelpass since then.
Well,my issue is back, only worse; numerous websites won't load now.

This is my second day here and I regret that I decided to go with Verizon's TravelPass; I should have gone with a local SIM card as I've done in the past. I'm going to at least two more countries, so maybe I'll have better experiences there.

Verizon will not own up to the problem, they blame the local operators over which they have no control: "the program is only designed to consolidate roaming charges". At least I can rely on voice and text messaging services. For the rest I have to fall back on WiFi connections.

Old Sep 14, 2016, 10:47 am

Programs: Global Entry, TSA PreCheck, UA Premier, Marriott Titanium Elite

This is my second day here and I regret that I decided to go with Verizon's TravelPass; I should have gone with a local SIM card as I've done in the past. I'm going to at least two more countries, so maybe I'll have better experiences there.

Verizon will not own up to the problem, they blame the local operators over which they have no control: "the program is only designed to consolidate roaming charges". At least I can rely on voice and text messaging services. For the rest I have to fall back on WiFi connections.

I had the same problem when I went to Canada. Voice and SMS/text worked great. Data and MMS/picture messaging did not work at all. For data, I just did Wi-Fi. Also, I found that group texting did not work. I was able to live without the group text and MMS.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 11:56 am

You could try to look up the APN settings for the local network and add it to your mobile network APN settings. If it doesn't work you could still just switch back to your default one.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 12:41 pm

My travel buddy arrived today. His Verizon phone automatically connected to a different mobile network. So, I tried again to switch, and this time I was successful. Phone is functioning normally now.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 3:24 pm

I've had similar issues in Paris. When connected to Bouygues, several apps including the directions in Google Maps didn't work and some displayed a "no internet connection" message.

When I manually switched to Orange, everything worked just as it does at home. Unfortunately, the phone wouldn't stay connected to Orange and within a couple of minutes I was back on the Bouygues network.

Can't say that I was impressed, although it was very convenient to have my own phone number while traveling abroad and the clarity of the voice calls, both local and back to the states, was excellent.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 1:54 am

Would appreciate some help trying to figure out if my iPhone 5c (CDMA/Verizon/A1532) can be used with the Travelpass, or at all, in Canada.

I called Verizon last week to ask this, went over the phone specs and my phone plan (PrePaid) and was told to simply download the Verizon App and activate the Travelpass from within it. Should have known nothing to do with Verizon is that easy...

In Vancouver now. Didn't have time to activate the Travelpass before I left home, so connected the phone to hotel wifi, logged into Verizon and tried to activate Travelpass. Much frustration later, I finally get to a screen that says
"At this time Verizon Prepay is only supported in the U.S and Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands. Please visit our prepay international page for more information."
Which is rather the opposite of what I was told when I called Verizon, and the PrePaid page has a link that takes me right back to where I got message. (gotta love Verizon's infinite loops of uselessness)

Unfortunately I have to have a phone that works during this trip as my schedule keeps changing and I need to be reachable.

Is it possible to get this phone on a network here in Canada, or should I just go buy a cheap local phone?

Last edited by CDTraveler; Oct 1, 2016 at 9:38 am
Old Oct 1, 2016, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Would appreciate some help trying to figure out if my iPhone 5c (CDMA/Verizon/A1532) can be used with the Travelpass, or at all, in Canada.

I called Verizon last week to ask this, went over the phone specs and my phone plan (PrePaid)...
From the International Travel FAQs:
2. Can I use a Verizon Wireless prepaid phone when I travel outside the US?

Prepaid phones have limited roaming capability. Visit the Prepaid International Roaming page for more information.

Note: If your smartphone can use Wi-Fi Calling and the feature is turned on, you can call from anywhere with a Wi-Fi connection. Wi-Fi calls to US phone numbers are free, even while traveling internationally.
It doesn't appear as if TravelPass is available to prepaid customers.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 9:37 am

From the International Travel FAQs:
It doesn't appear as if TravelPass is available to prepaid customers.
And yet the Verizon employee who updated my PrePaid plan clearly said it is...

Anybody know the best place to buy a cheap phone near YVR?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.