Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

New International SIM for Chatting (and only chatting)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2015, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

OK - I saw this on the show floor today at World Travel Mart in London...

http://www.chatsim.com/en - for 10 Euros a year, you get unlimited international chatting with Facebook Messenger, Snapchat, BBM, Line, etc.

They apparently have agreements in 150 countries.

It's not, obviously, a good solution if you want to check email or get turn-by-turn driving instructions. But, for 10Euros, it might make a decent back up if you want to just stay in touch with a significant other or group of friends.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 7:35 pm

ChatSim was known as WhatSim
https://www.mvnodynamics.com/2015/02...-limits-wi-fi/

It's an Italian firm
https://www.mvnodynamics.com/tag/zeromobile/

TIM IT and Vodafone IT both have extensive roaming agreements so I wouldn't be surprised if they're leveraging one of them.

It seems like this functionality could also be mimicked with smartphone firewalls or cellular data permissions + roaming sim
http://www.xda-developers.com/netgua...-without-root/
http://www.howtogeek.com/211623/how-...phone-or-ipad/
Old Nov 4, 2015, 1:45 am
Suspended

I also saw this at WTM yesterday...

My initial thoughts were that they are trying to be the next whats app?
Old Nov 4, 2015, 3:28 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
ing, but it seems that there are credits you purchase (2000 credits for 10EUR). Does that mean if I use up all my credits the service turns off, or is it throttled?
Old Nov 4, 2015, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by jason8612
ing, but it seems that there are credits you purchase (2000 credits for 10EUR). Does that mean if I use up all my credits the service turns off, or is it throttled?
MMS (Pictures/videos) gets charged per usage. if you have no credits, I guess you can't send them? (not sure how they block mms... by packet inspection/URLs?)

text messages/emojis are always free
Old Nov 5, 2015, 4:01 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by paperwastage
MMS (Pictures/videos) gets charged per usage. if you have no credits, I guess you can't send them? (not sure how they block mms... by packet inspection/URLs?)

text messages/emojis are always free
Thats what I was wondering about. How would they know if it's a picture or just words? By the amount? What if I used a VPN or routed everything thru a proxy?
Old Nov 5, 2015, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by jason8612
Thats what I was wondering about. How would they know if it's a picture or just words? By the amount? What if I used a VPN or routed everything thru a proxy?
i guess the service only allows access to certain URLs (eg facebook.com), and you can't use a VPN/proxy at all

// waits for someone to create a FB Messenger bot, that auto-replies to your conversations for wikipedia info... like the wikipedia-access-via-sms below

http://thenextweb.com/insider/2013/1...-text-message/
Old Jun 23, 2016, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by PD2G Client Experience Manager
Has anyone used ChatSim before?

What do you think of its usage?
Better off getting a local sim. It does what it says, but setup wasnt that easy and anything extra costs a pretty penny. No snapchat so that sucks, but makes sense since that takes a lot of data.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 2:51 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by olouie
Better off getting a local sim. It does what it says, but setup wasnt that easy and anything extra costs a pretty penny. No snapchat so that sucks, but makes sense since that takes a lot of data.
Swapping out local SIMs is annoying and time consuming if you travel to many countries. This could be a good option if traveling around Europe and hitting a dozen countries.

However I prefer T-Mobile or Google's Fi which allow for unlimited 2g roaming and include texts too. Still - this is a nice way to spend less than those two and you best of all you get to keep your phone #.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 10:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

N
Originally Posted by Boogie711
OK - I saw this on the show floor today at World Travel Mart in London...

http://www.chatsim.com/en - for 10 Euros a year, you get unlimited international chatting with Facebook Messenger, Snapchat, BBM, Line, etc.

They apparently have agreements in 150 countries.

It's not, obviously, a good solution if you want to check email or get turn-by-turn driving instructions. But, for 10Euros, it might make a decent back up if you want to just stay in touch with a significant other or group of friends.
Since this OP it appears the price has jumped to $110/year. For 10 euros, I'd be inclined to bite, and plop it in an cheap phone, but this is not attractive to me at $110.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by moondog
N

Since this OP it appears the price has jumped to $110/year. For 10 euros, I'd be inclined to bite, and plop it in an cheap phone, but this is not attractive to me at $110.
It shows as $15 USD per year when I go to buy it
Old Aug 4, 2016, 5:21 pm

Buy it on Amazon

If anyone wants to buy this - available on Amazon without the shipping charge.

Also, 73 reviews on the Amazon page - so worth looking there before buying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.