Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Lost Cell Phone Under Contract - Best Way to Move Forward?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lost Cell Phone Under Contract - Best Way to Move Forward?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2015, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, all. We tried some of the suggestions and I had just about settled on buying an old phone for a time being. I went back into the Verizon store today and they let us treat it like she was eligible for her upgrade. I went with the pay for the phone over 24 months plan, which I'm not certain was the right choice, but it's done.

BTW, thanks for the tip on making sure the old phone was cut off, but let's just say it was lost in a way that rendered it unusable.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 10:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by alamedaguy
Thanks, all. We tried some of the suggestions and I had just about settled on buying an old phone for a time being. I went back into the Verizon store today and they let us treat it like she was eligible for her upgrade. I went with the pay for the phone over 24 months plan, which I'm not certain was the right choice, but it's done.

BTW, thanks for the tip on making sure the old phone was cut off, but let's just say it was lost in a way that rendered it unusable.
Careful...

Plumbers are expensive.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by KRSW
People who buy iPhones don't care about what alternatives are out there, even if the alternatives are superior, they want an iPhone. They want the Apple "experience" and are willing to look past all of the limitations and shortfalls.

Several analogies come to mind involving religions and cults, but I'll save that for OMNI.
I can't speak for others, but I generally stick with Apple stuff for several reasons: (a) it has great build technology and good performance; (b) once you've bought into an ecosphere it has a "home team advantage." Flipping to a different technology means you have to find replacement apps and services, etc.; and, (c) in the Apple/Android debate, you know that they will quickly match the competitor's features and you've always got something that the other side hasn't copied yet.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 4:42 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, PC Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by alamedaguy
The device payments plan (used to be called Edge) is usually a better option if you're on the now-grandfathered plan on >10Gb where your monthly smartphone access fees are $15/month (instead of $40). It's 0% financing, and the monthly access fee savings are better than the $199/2-year contract deal.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 4:48 am

Verizon where the customer is always wrong
Old Sep 30, 2015, 5:43 am

Programs: SWA A-List Preferred, Hilton Diamond, ICH Platinum
Originally Posted by CatJo
Definitely consider T-Mobile, since they'll pay off your ETF (Early Termination Fee) when you leave Verizon. Get on their Jump on Demand promo for the iPhone 6s, which works out to an effective $216 discount off the retail price at the end of the lease (assuming you utilize the buyout option, which you should).

You'll most likely end up saving quite a bit overall off your monthly Verizon bill too.
Won't work. In order to get this bonus from TMO (and prob Sprint) you have to surrender an old smart phone to qualify.

Best case is again, get something used from EBay to use until contract is up or to surrender.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 7:18 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, PC Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DLB404
Won't work. In order to get this bonus from TMO (and prob Sprint) you have to surrender an old smart phone to qualify.
If one doesn't have an ancient smartphone laying around in a drawer (only has to turn on, and no cracked screens), you can always buy one from Best Buy/Walmart for around $20-$30 when they go on sale frequently.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 1:10 pm

Target had a few pre-paid phones on clearance this week for $20. Perfect for those trade-in deals.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.