Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Microsoft Surface Pro, do you have one? Opinions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2015, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic

I usually travel with my iPad and my Sony laptop.

I'm kind of wondering about the Microsoft Surface Pro, and only carrying it along.

My iPad is primarily used for movies, and reading my Kindle books, while listening to music with noise canceling headphones to block the noise while flying. I also read every night until I go to sleep.

Laptop I use for email, paying bills, making reservations, whatever business I need to take care of.

I'm wondering if the Surface Pro could take the place of both devices, so I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has one and uses it.

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 7:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Which one? 1 2 or 3?
Old Aug 15, 2015, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
The Pro3.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 9:08 pm

Programs: UA
I have a Surface Pro 3 and have had it for a little over a year now. I've been very happy with it -- it runs a complete version of windows, and so I can use all of the programs I need for my work. I've found it is fairly to use on a plane on my lap. I can usually get about 5 hours of battery life out of it -- 6 if I turn the screen way down.

I don't see why it wouldn't also be able to do the tablet things you've mentioned as well. I don't use it as an e-reader, mostly because I like the feel of actual paper and still buy actual books more than anything.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Thank you!
Old Aug 15, 2015, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have the Pro3, but it sounds like it may be overkill for the things you want to do on it. The New Surface 3 (not PRO 3) is cheaper and its battery life may be better got you. That said, you'd probably even be ok with a decent keyboard for your iPad, as it doesn't sound like anything you need is overly power-hungry.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 3:06 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ScottC
I have the Pro3, but it sounds like it may be overkill for the things you want to do on it. The New Surface 3 (not PRO 3) is cheaper and its battery life may be better got you. That said, you'd probably even be ok with a decent keyboard for your iPad, as it doesn't sound like anything you need is overly power-hungry.
Keep in mind about the screen size difference as well.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 11:11 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
The Surface Pro 3 is perhaps a little on the large and heavy side, for prolonged armchair browsing (i.e. what the iPad excels at). Per above, the Surface 2 + type cover might be a better option.

Personally, I'd love to see the Pro's internals in a unit the size of the Surface 3.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for the responses and experience with the Surface.

We will be leaving four weeks from tomorrow for a 2+ month trip and I was looking at the Surface to avoid carrying both laptop and iPad. I'm going to wait until we get back and look into this more thoroughly. We have a longer trip next spring/summer so I will decide before then which Surface to get and will have time to get to know it before we leave for the longer trip.

Thanks!
Old Aug 16, 2015, 8:02 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
I'd agree that a Surface 3 could easily do everything you need. On the cheap, you would also be just as well served with a Asus T100TA/TAF/TAM and you'd also get a fully hinged keyboard that sits well on a tray table or your lap better than the un-hinged covers used on the Surfaces (this is coming from a Surface Pro user who was continually frustrated when the kickstand would slide off the back of Domestic F tray tables). The T100TA can be had for as little as $140 refurbishes, and that includes the keyboard dock. It also gets anywhere from 7-10 hours of battery depending on usage. I sucessfully replaced a laptop and Android Tablet with the T100TA about 18 months ago, switched to the Surface Pro on a whim for about 8 months, then came back to the T100TAM (metal case back version) about 10 months ago. I sometimes travel with a 12.5" Ultrabook + 8" Windows Tablet if I know I need to do any work more in depth than basic email and spreadsheets, but that's more for screen size than anything else.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

Thank you.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 11:34 pm

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*

I have an original Surface (first generation), an iPad and a Surface Pro 3 (and a laptop of. purse).

Can the SP3 do what you describe - yes.

I use the SP3 in lieu of my laptop for most trips. The exception is if I am planning to do a lot of work (then I prefer the larger screen, keyboard and wireless mouse) or if I am working with Excel because screen size is then more important to me.

If I am taking the SP3 that is all I take. If I take the laptop then I also take either the Surface or the iPad for movies etc enroute.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I have a main desktop and a SP3, which I use for travel. The machine is great, the only real compromise being the screen size, but then I'm travelling so I'm appreciative of the smaller screen size.

My only real complaint is that there's only one USB - which I use for a small wireless mouse, meaning I have to disconnect the mouse on the rare occasion that I need a different thing plugged in.

In tablet mode, I find it quite difficult to control Windows (still not used it in earnest since W10 installed). The problem is that many of the control buttons are small and at the edge of the screen, where touching doesn't seem to be all that accurate.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 2:15 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
My only real complaint is that there's only one USB - which I use for a small wireless mouse, meaning I have to disconnect the mouse on the rare occasion that I need a different thing plugged in.
You should really use a bluetooth mouse instead -- they really aren't expensive at all.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 4:09 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Originally Posted by freezefactor
You should really use a bluetooth mouse instead -- they really aren't expensive at all.
I agree. Logitech mouses and touchpads are probably the best, but they needlessly take up a USB port with their own proprietary radio module.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.