FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1M
T-mobile: Use your phone in Canada & Mexico like in the US

Starting 7/15/15:

http://explore.t-mobile.com/3country...MZ808PI7E92510
Old Jul 11, 2015, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan
It's not automatic. You have to request the service.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by weekilter
It's not automatic. You have to request the service.
True, for existing customers. A free opt-in (online, phone, or in-store) for Simple Choice customers. Legacy/Promo customers pay $10/month. New Simple Choice plans will include it automatically.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 2:13 pm

I wonder if that will include my TMobile tablet plan. I already get the throttled data globally.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
I wonder if that will include my TMobile tablet plan. I already get the throttled data globally.
From what some people have been saying on the interwebz, as long as you are paying for a tablet plan (i.e., not on the free 200MB plan), you can use it in Canada & Mexico.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
From what some people have been saying on the interwebz, as long as you are paying for a tablet plan (i.e., not on the free 200MB plan), you can use it in Canada & Mexico.
I recently spoke to the SVP, Customer Experience for T-Mobile and he said ALL plans will have a "Mobile Without Borders" equivalent come Wednesday. I asked specifically about the Mobile-On-Demand/Free Data for Life tablet plan, and he responded "I did say ALL, didn't I?". He also mentioned there will be a few additional pleasant surprises with plans on Wednesday as well.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 4:33 pm
Suspended

Does this include the monthly prepaid simple choice plans ?
Old Jul 13, 2015, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by mike_asia
Does this include the monthly prepaid simple choice plans ?
Press Releases have all said the newest Simple Choice prepaid and postpaid plans will get Mobile Without Borders at no additional cost. May need to migrate to the "new" Simple Choice North America plans but it applies to prepaid and monthly (postpaid) accounts.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 6:11 pm

I have the Harbor Mobile $17 tablet plan on TMobile. Harbor resells TMobile business plans. It supports SMS and MMS, but not voice.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 7:16 pm

I have the Harbor Mobile $17 tablet plan on TMobile. Harbor resells TMobile business plans. It supports SMS and MMS, but not voice.
Hmmm...I'm going to go out on a limb and say that's probably going to be called a "legacy" plan and require a new plan or pay $10/month to add-on Canada & Mexico at 4G LTE speeds. But no clue honestly.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by HockeyCoachBen
Hmmm...I'm going to go out on a limb and say that's probably going to be called a "legacy" plan and require a new plan or pay $10/month to add-on Canada & Mexico at 4G LTE speeds. But no clue honestly.
As I was reading about Simple Choice North America and Simple Choice Global, I was getting a little fearful that the two items were mutually exclusive.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 10:07 am

As I was reading about Simple Choice North America and Simple Choice Global, I was getting a little fearful that the two items were mutually exclusive.
It's a little more complicated and I don't think there is one answer for all.

In my case, we have what they call the Simple Choice umbrella plan.
1. It consists of 4 lines @$100 with unlimited talk/data/text, throttled to 3g or HSPA+ after 2.5gb per line.
2. Under that same umbrella we also have coverage when overseas, that's the $0.20/min, unlimited text/data at throttled speed. http://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-p...50&PID=6147683
3. We also have the $10/account/month promotional stateside international with mobile family plan that lets us call 35/75 international land-line/mobile combo from US. http://www.t-mobile.com/optional-ser...l-calling.html

When I spoke with TMO CS just now, they confirmed I would have to pay an additional $10/account/month for the new Canada/Mexico plan. It can be turned on/off to match traveling schedule. If I wanted it to be free, then I would have to give up #3.

Last edited by dtsm; Jul 14, 2015 at 4:52 pm
Old Jul 14, 2015, 10:11 am

My understanding is that the most recent (currently offered on the T-Mobile website prior to 7-15) Simple Choice/Simple Choice Global plans will have an exact duplicate under the Simple Choice North American plans. Only difference being the newly added Canada/Mexico deal. There will be no cost to migrate to the new plans.

Again, not too sure how that applies to your 3rd party data plan.

If you choose to keep your current plan (which as of 7-15 will then be classified as "Legacy" or "Promotional" plans), you can add the Mobile Without Borders as an add-on service for $10/month.

My understanding is any plan not bought directly through T-Mobile (Walmart exclusive plan for example) or under a special pricing structure (such as the 4 lines for $100 family plan) and most business plans will require the $10/month fee or a new rate plan.

But, according to this tweet from Mike Sievert (T-Mobile COO) there will be new promotional plans which include MWB for free as well...
https://twitter.com/SievertMike/stat...29065721147394
Old Jul 14, 2015, 2:13 pm

Harbor Mobile sent out an email earlier today that their plan does not included MWB.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by dtsm
When I spoke with TMO CS just now, they confirmed I would have to pay an additional $10/account/month for the new Canada/Mexico plan. It can be turned on/off to match traveling schedule. If I wanted it to be free, then I would have to give up #3.
That's not necessarily true. According to this document, the Stateside International (SIT) add-on can be added to the new Simple Choice family plan introduced today. http://newsroom.t-mobile.com/doc_dow...cfm?doc_id=159

(Sorry, typing this on an iPad so I can't link directly to the file mentioned. Will fix later.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.