Community
Wiki Posts
Search

T-mobile: Use your phone in Canada & Mexico like in the US

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2015, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HockeyCoachBen
That's not necessarily true. According to this document, the Stateside International (SIT) add-on can be added to the new Simple Choice family plan introduced today. http://newsroom.t-mobile.com/doc_dow...cfm?doc_id=159

(Sorry, typing this on an iPad so I can't link directly to the file mentioned. Will fix later.)
But dtsm has a $10 per account promo feature, whereas the standard price (as shown in that doc) would be $15 per line.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by soitgoes
But dtsm has a $10 per account promo feature, whereas the standard price (as shown in that doc) would be $15 per line.
Correct ^
When the promo was announced, $10 per account, jumped on it right away. After promo it reverted to $10/line but now increased to $15/line.

Last edited by dtsm; Jul 15, 2015 at 7:58 am
Old Jul 15, 2015, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by dtsm
Correct ^
When the promo was announced, $10 per account, jumped on it right away. After promo it reverted to $10/line but now increased to $15/line.
That was really a great deal.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 1:19 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG,
Thanks I just got the $10 per plan so all 4 phone lines home and mobile covered to call mom in Mexico. Sweet!
Old Oct 5, 2015, 9:11 pm

Sorry for bumping up an old thread but I have a couple questions.

At the end of November over the Thanksgiving holiday I'll be spending a week in Playa del Carmen, Mexico for friends' wedding. While I have no problem with my normal carrier, AT&T their international plans suck and a recent T-Mobile ad caught my attention. If I'm reading their website correctly if I signup for their $50 Simple Choice North America prepaid plan I can use my phone for voice, data and text while in the US, Canada or Mexico without extra charges.

I don't need anything fancy but just need to be able to call/text them while we're in Mexico to coordinate things and to be able to call home to the US on Thanksgiving. I'd be using my old unlocked iPhone 5 which according to their website will work fine with up to LTE speeds.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by LtKernelPanic
If I'm reading their website correctly if I signup for their $50 Simple Choice North America prepaid plan I can use my phone for voice, data and text while in the US, Canada or Mexico without extra charges.
Correct, I recently did that on an international trip.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 11:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Sorry for bumping up an old thread but I have a couple questions.

At the end of November over the Thanksgiving holiday I'll be spending a week in Playa del Carmen, Mexico for friends' wedding. While I have no problem with my normal carrier, AT&T their international plans suck and a recent T-Mobile ad caught my attention. If I'm reading their website correctly if I signup for their $50 Simple Choice North America prepaid plan I can use my phone for voice, data and text while in the US, Canada or Mexico without extra charges.

I don't need anything fancy but just need to be able to call/text them while we're in Mexico to coordinate things and to be able to call home to the US on Thanksgiving. I'd be using my old unlocked iPhone 5 which according to their website will work fine with up to LTE speeds.
Are we going to the same wedding?
Old Oct 6, 2015, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan
Correct, I recently did that on an international trip.

Excellent. AT&T wants to charge me $60 for 200MB of data, unlimited texts (how generous) and 50 cents/min for calls. Yeah no.

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Are we going to the same wedding?
Heh. I don't think so unless your friends live in the Phoenix area. His wife is a Canadian citizen though.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 5:44 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
We've had T-Mobile Simple Choice for roughly two years and love it - especially when out of the U.S.

When this Canada-Mexico option was introduced I called T-Mobile and found at least one rep as confused as I was about the wording.

At one point there was a $10 charge added to my plan despite her telling me there wouldn't be, so I called back and canceled it.

A few days ago as we drove up to Vancouver BC for the day the text message said "Welcome to Canada! Don't worry: your T-Mobile plan works just like it does at home. Call, text, and browse like you're used to - at no extra cost..."

I checked my usage and the four ingoing and outgoing calls in Canada are "no charge." That was our first visit there in awhile so I have no idea how long it's been in effect but it's a pleasing new free feature for us! ^
Old Oct 7, 2015, 1:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Heh. I don't think so unless your friends live in the Phoenix area. His wife is a Canadian citizen though.
Nope, SFO mostly. Timing and location is the same though

Glad my phone will work though
Old Nov 10, 2015, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
T-Mobile Simple Choice Amped - data allowance doubled 11/15

(Not sure where to post this or starting another new thread - MODS, please move/merge as necessary)

T-Mo Uncarrier benefits updated, as announced today -
those on Simple Choice Plans can look forward to streaming videos & music soon, without deductions from the monthly data allowance - with Binge On

AND,
4G LTE data allowance will be doubled at no extra charges only on the $50 unlimited voice & text plan now - 1GB of fast 4G LTE data will get 2GB instead, starting Nov. 15th. the $60 plan with 3GB will get 6GB, etc. for $65 !! (that's $5 more for 1GB)

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/11/10...-choice-plans/

Now, maybe I will hold off switching over to Project Fi - a bit longer - since the invite won't expire.

Last edited by Letitride3c; Nov 11, 2015 at 12:36 pm
Old Nov 11, 2015, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by Letitride3c
AND,
4G LTE data allowance will be doubled at no extra charges, the $50 unlimited voice & text plan now with 1GB of fast 4G LTE data will get 2GB instead, starting Nov. 15th. the $60 plan with 3GB will get 6GB, etc.
That's not the case, actually. The doubled data isn't free at all. In order to get the doubled data bucket, you have to switch to the new Simple Choice Amped plans which can be $0 to $15 more per month.

Simple Choice Amped pricing...
3GB $50
6GB $65
10GB $80
Unlimited $95

This is the area where I feel the announcement yesterday was VERY misleading. They implied several times that data was being doubled for free. That's simply not the case.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Originally Posted by HockeyCoachBen
That's not the case, actually. The doubled data isn't free at all. In order to get the doubled data bucket, you have to switch to the new Simple Choice Amped plans which can be $0 to $15 more per month.

This is the area where I feel the announcement yesterday was VERY misleading. They implied several times that data was being doubled for free. That's simply not the case.
Oops - thanks. Yeah, I corrected original post ... my bad for speed reading late night, it's free only on the 1GB to 2 GB plan, higher allowance plan at "nominal" cost addition - but, with rollover permitted. But, unlike Fi - no refunds for unused data. And, presumably - current customers have to call/log in to ask/change it to get the "extra" data allownace.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Letitride3c
Oops - thanks. Yeah, I corrected original post ... my bad for speed reading late night, it's free only on the 1GB to 2 GB plan, higher allowance plan at "nominal" cost addition - but, with rollover permitted. But, unlike Fi - no refunds for unused data. And, presumably - current customers have to call/log in to ask/change it to get the "extra" data allownace.
No problem. I, too, was fooled by all the talk at the announcement and no mention of new plans until I did an online chat with T-Force last night and found out all of the nasty details.

As for the rollover/no refund for unused data, therein lies my entire complaint about this announcement. T-Mobile spent a great deal of time at the event yesterday talking about how many millions of dollars people spend on unused data per month. But, then, turn around and require me to upgrade my plan to a higher data tier to get all of their new services. I don't use all of my data now. Why would I upgrade, pay more money and not use the extra data just for this new feature? Is that not EXACTLY what they blasted their competition for doing?
Old Nov 18, 2015, 9:52 pm

I got my family onto the North America Simple Choice plan with 10 GB per line for $120 which includes Mobile Without Boarders. Its a great feature as I see myself going on an extended trip up to Canada in the near future. So to be able to use my LTE Data and call back to the states and have my friends call me with no incoming calls its a great feature.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.