Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Port US Number so I can forward it to UK Mobile??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2015, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Hello, new to the forum and have searched (and continue to do so) for the answer.

I currently have a US mobile number (not portable to Google Voice) that I need to keep so US clients can contact me when we move to the UK later this month. Is there a VOIP service that would allow me to keep my US number and forward it (affordably) to my soon to be new UK mobile number? Any help would be appreciated!!
Old Jul 7, 2015, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi gdlee1976! Welcome to Flyertalk. I'd suggest looking into the VOIP providers like voip.ms or Callcentric.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Or consider a dual SIM phone. Which is what I do.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 2:09 pm

Don't expect great call quality when using these services. Your call has to be handed off twice (e.g. Verizon -> VoIP provider -> BT) and each transfer adds time and technology and lots of indirect hops. And I'm not talking about the good kind of hops.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
I personally use Localphone (based on the suggestions from FT). You set up a Localphone number to forward to your British phone and your current phone to forward to your Localphone. That's what I have (with Google Voice forwarding to Localphone) and I find the call quality to be absolutely fine
Old Jul 7, 2015, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. I will look into these this evening. As far as the "hand off", I do not plan to keep service with my current provider, Verizon once we move. The goal will be to port my number out of Verizon to some one, then forward it to my UK number. I also intend to use my current handset, an unlocked iPhone 6+ with whoever we get service with in the UK.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 7:09 pm

You can certainly port it to callcentric. Not sure about like localphone.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 8:40 pm

O2 offers virtual US numbers. First see if they support line number portability. If they don't, you'll probably get a better connection than someone using the cheapest route to a UK mobile number.

Why don't you post the area code and first three numbers of your phone number, eg 212-555-XXXX. If Google doesn't support the exchange, others may not as well.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

Phone number is 704-787-xxxx and I've found that the number IS portable with providers other than GV. I will look into the O2 portability for a virtual US number as well.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by gdlee1976
Phone number is 704-787-xxxx and I've found that the number IS portable with providers other than GV.
Is it a regular VZW number? If so, why can't it be ported?

Last edited by joshwex90; Jul 8, 2015 at 7:21 am
Old Jul 8, 2015, 4:49 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90
Is it a regular VZW number? If so, why can't it be ported?
Here is a link to the feature:

https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/internatio...ional-numbers/

For a VOIP provider with a lot of flexibility, take a look at voip.ms.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 6:24 am

[QUOTE=Dubai Stu;25086018]Here is a link to the feature:

https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/internatio...ional-numbers/

For a VOIP provider with a lot of flexibility, take a look at voip.ms. Another thought would be a dual sim phone and porting your Verizon number to Truphone while you are still a US resident. You'll get free incoming in the UK on the US number and have a US number for your return trips. Then go with Three (with its like home feature) for the other side. They have good US calling rates and free roaming for the visits back to the US on voice and data.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 8:54 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, PC Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gdlee1976
Phone number is 704-787-xxxx and I've found that the number IS portable with providers other than GV.
I concur with the VoIP.ms recommendations (have been using them for my home phone service for several years). They show that your 704-787-xxxx phone is portable to their network; you'll get a lot of flexibility by porting to them and using their call forwarding at first, and can then use their features for other options to handle your incoming calls down the road.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.