Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Would planes be safer without humans in the cockpit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Would planes be safer without humans in the cockpit?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2015, 12:00 pm

You can look up statistics on how often pilot error causes an airplane crash. It doesn't happen a lot when you consider how many thousands of flights there are a day, but it happens.

You can't look up statistics on how often pilot intervention keeps an airplane from crashing when systems fail or malfunction because the pilots land those flights safely. This happens every day. Probably dozens of times a day, if not more.

I probably encounter weather conditions or mechanical situations that the autopilot/automated systems can't handle once or twice a month. Only once that I can recall were the passengers aware that something malfunctioned because the situation required a diversion and emergency landing. I've had several times where the autopilot system just goes offline because it can't handle the situation (generally turbulence/weather related) or because it's malfunctioning. If you fly a lot, and most FlyerTalkers do, then you've almost certainly been on a flight where some system malfunctioned and the pilots took over from the automation.

Pilots are not worried about our jobs being replaced by computers.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 12:53 pm

Ever seen any of these movies?

War Games
Tron
I, Robot
Resident Evil
Superman III
Robocop
Terminator
Matrix
2001: A Space Odyssey

Heh, but seriously, even if the computer has full control over everything, there is no way there isn't some kind of override on board a plane and a person there to do the override.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 1:40 pm

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
No and no again since I must use at least five characters.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 1:55 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by RA-wannabe
I would certainly feel much safer with driverless planes.
I would not.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 3:13 pm

Of course there has to be a human in the cockpit. Who would feed the dog otherwise?
Old Mar 26, 2015, 5:45 pm

No. Not safer.

1. Spoofing GPS is easy, peasy. College students demo'd it. Then Iran used the technique to steal our RQ-170 Sentinel drone. It thought it was landing it home plate. But it wasn't.

2. Read the book QF32. Ain't no computer in the world that could've cope'd with that (cough) simple engine failure.

3. The vaunted Airbus automation may have contributed to Sully's Hudson River ditching. How so? The FADECs (engine control computers) were b....ing about engine problems and declining to let him further harm the engines. If he had the option of using (trashing) those engines for another 15-20 secs, he may have made it to TEB.

4. Enjoy:

http://www.realitydistortionfield.com/GoWrong.wav
Old Mar 26, 2015, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
If you notice that software updates are released fairly regularly for mobile phones, computers, general software, and sometimes that software update breaks things in an effort to fix things. I can't even get Siri or Google Now to understand me 100% of the time. I would not want to be on a plane that has had a software update done that a new error is discovered on. The risk of a remote hijacking is even more real.

There is no replacement, yet, for human intuition.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 6:31 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
I think we are very close, technologically, to being in a place where computers, backed up by humans on the ground, are more reliable than humans in the cockpit.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Internaut
I think we are very close, technologically, to being in a place where computers, backed up by humans on the ground, are more reliable than humans in the cockpit.
The latency that would be encountered may be too much to deal with. 1/2 second may be the difference between a safe outcome and a crash.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 7:31 pm

When my autopilot has been kicked offline by turbulence it's because the computer on the aircraft can't react fast enough to conditions to control the aircraft. This is also why there are pretty strict crosswind limits on autoland systems.

The latency that would be encountered may be too much to deal with. 1/2 second may be the difference between a safe outcome and a crash.
This.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 8:45 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Given some of the issues that unexpectedly disrupt USAF and CIA drone operations, I'm not so sure about that.

Also, adding too many cooks to a kitchen may not generally equate with consistency of output and a lack of other operational problems/risks.

I'm certainly a technophile, but I don't adopt the mantra that any and all technology is inherently a great solution to the needs of the time. Automation is not perfect, and the results of automation aren't always just what we think they are or will be.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 9:01 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gqZJzU4vusf0Z2,$d7
No. Not safer.

1. Spoofing GPS is easy, peasy. College students demo'd it. Then Iran used the technique to steal our RQ-170 Sentinel drone. It thought it was landing it home plate. But it wasn't.

2. Read the book QF32. Ain't no computer in the world that could've cope'd with that (cough) simple engine failure.

3. The vaunted Airbus automation may have contributed to Sully's Hudson River ditching. How so? The FADECs (engine control computers) were b....ing about engine problems and declining to let him further harm the engines. If he had the option of using (trashing) those engines for another 15-20 secs, he may have made it to TEB.

4. Enjoy:

http://www.realitydistortionfield.com/GoWrong.wav
Same for BA32 - Both engines did not respond to commands. 0 fatalities. Computer will crap out as you can't program it to handle such an unimaginable scenario.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf
Same for BA32 - Both engines did not respond to commands. 0 fatalities. Computer will crap out as you can't program it to handle such an unimaginable scenario.
You mean BA38. Wasn't the problem fuel starvation due to blocked lines. Abit different than Sully situation
Old Mar 27, 2015, 3:37 am

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Originally Posted by Paul56
Ask yourself one question: How would automation have handled US Airways flight 1549 that ditched in the Hudson?

Would automation attempt to return to the airport?

Would automation be smart enough to realize the potential landing
area of the Hudson?

Pilots are not redundant... yet.
Fly by wire probably increased their odds of landing in the Hudson.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 3:46 am

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Originally Posted by Paul56
Ask yourself one question: How would automation have handled US Airways flight 1549 that ditched in the Hudson?

Would automation attempt to return to the airport?

Would automation be smart enough to realize the potential landing
area of the Hudson?

Pilots are not redundant... yet.
There were pilots in a simulator after the fact who managed to land that plane at an airport.

It was obviously a long shot and safety chose the Hudson.

We're coming very close to real time flying without human pilots like it or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.