high power laptop & in flight power

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

high power laptop & in flight power

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2017, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Interesting news!

I'll be in J on an AA 77W (and a couple of CX planes, one in Y and one in J) and will be trying the 130W supply at least on the longer AA legs (although I'll have a 90W for backup just in case.)

I also wonder if there is some variance in the 130W supplies; I've got some older ones that came with my M3800 (bought at various points during its useful lifetime), and a newer one that came with my XPS 15 (9560.) They looked the same on the outside, but I wonder if there are internal differences.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by lpeterman
So will use the power outlet by each of the doors on the 77W that the cleaning crews use to plug in the vacuum cleaners. From seat 1A, the outlet is just a couple feet away!
I don't know about now but one of my summer jobs was servicing airplanes.
The power for the service crew is hooked up to airport power.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 8:37 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by docbert
Tried my Precision 5510 (basically the same as an XPS 15) and it's 130W power supply on a United flight a few days ago, and it worked!
And another success - this time on a United/Skywest ERJ175 in F.

Edit: And of course about 30 seconds after I posted that, it tripped. Light on the socket went orange rather than green, and the laptop started running on battery. Unplugged and replugged and it's working again, but it's obviously right on the edge of what is allowed...
Old Nov 2, 2017, 9:43 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by docbert
And another success - this time on a United/Skywest ERJ175 in F.

Edit: And of course about 30 seconds after I posted that, it tripped. Light on the socket went orange rather than green, and the laptop started running on battery. Unplugged and replugged and it's working again, but it's obviously right on the edge of what is allowed...
Has anyone tried doing so on the long-haul 772-ERs? (EWR-BOM/DEL/NRT/etc.-EWR)

I would think as the seats are pretty old (ex-CO BF), then probably not...
Old Nov 30, 2017, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
So I think I've figured the secret out.

After forgetting my smaller adapters on my most recent trip, all I had to use was my 180W adapter.

Since it's the high-capacity capacitor that seems to trip the socket's circuit as soon as you plug it in, the secret seems to be that you need to let the capacitor in the charger charge up. Once it's full, the actual draw is usually less than 100W, so it's not enough to trip the circuit.

The way to do that is to repeatedly plug and unplug the charger into the socket (without a computer attached to the other end) until the light stays solid. Once the light is on solid, then you can plug your computer into the charger and proceed as normal.

First up was a VX A321. I plugged the adapter in and it went out, but the light on my adapter lit up a bit and stayed glowing. I plugged it in again and voila: all was well.

Next was an AS 738. This one was a little more difficult and required me to plug and unplug the power adapter about five or six times before it charged the capacitor enough to stay on. Once that happened, everything was smooth sailing.

Of course, if you are running right on the edge of the circuit's capacity such that a power spike in your laptop triggers the circuit to knock out, try putting the computer in sleep mode and charging the battery. Once the battery is full, then use the computer. That should reduce the power consumption enough to keep it below the circuit's max.

Edit: the AS 739 I flew last night took a good 10 or so plug-in-unplug cycles before it worked, but after that, no troubles at all.
superbobbay and EqualOpp like this.

Last edited by jackal; Dec 1, 2017 at 4:28 pm
Old Nov 30, 2017, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting. I've got a flight on a newer-config AA 772 in their new PE next month, and will give that method a try with the Dell 130W slim adapter.

(Also, I realized I never followed up on my point about the 77W above, but to follow up, the Dell 130W definitely trips those. I did not notice whether the LED came on before it tripped.)

I wonder if one could find an airline-legal (< 99Whr) powerbank with a 120V outlet that had sufficient momentary current capacity. It wouldn't charge a big laptop supply for long, but it would certainly be plenty to pre-charge the capacitors. I suspect they most have current limiters that would have the same problem as the outlet, e.g. http://amzn.to/2AjioxF

Last edited by nkedel; Nov 30, 2017 at 6:20 pm
Old Dec 9, 2017, 6:40 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by nkedel
I wonder if one could find an airline-legal (< 99Whr) powerbank with a 120V outlet that had sufficient momentary current capacity.
Which US airlines have restrictions or outright disallow powerbanks with more than 100Whrs? I have such a powerbank and so far, Jetblue and Southwest don't seem to have any restrictions on them. I haven't looked into whether the legacy carriers have any rules against them. TSA says to refer to the carriers for their policies.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by diburning
Which US airlines have restrictions or outright disallow powerbanks with more than 100Whrs? I have such a powerbank and so far, Jetblue and Southwest don't seem to have any restrictions on them. I haven't looked into whether the legacy carriers have any rules against them. TSA says to refer to the carriers for their policies.
So far, I've only had power banks checked at non-US airports. It is technically an FAA limit but if airlines and the TSA aren't enforcing it, then you're in luck. (Apparently, you can have a limited number of 101-160Wh batteries, as well, but most manufacturers are treating 100 as a hard limit AFAICT)
Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:07 pm

It'd be a colossal waste of electrons to make a battery bank which output 120v, only for someone to plug in another DC transformer in. The conversion losses between battery DC -> inverter AC -> DC power supply -> Laptop's internal DC circuitry would be pretty high (>50%), making runtime minimal. I guess this is where the future USB-C battery banks could play a role, but not many of those out there yet.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by KRSW
It'd be a colossal waste of electrons to make a battery bank which output 120v, only for someone to plug in another DC transformer in. The conversion losses between battery DC -> inverter AC -> DC power supply -> Laptop's internal DC circuitry would be pretty high (>50%), making runtime minimal. I guess this is where the future USB-C battery banks could play a role, but not many of those out there yet.
My question would be whether the output (DC) voltage of the (USB-C) battery should match the input requirement of the DC input for the laptop?

Pros/cons?
Old Dec 12, 2017, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KRSW
I have a Dell-specific 19.5V battery bank that works great with my lower-power Dell machines -- unfortunately, it reports itself as 65W, which means throttling on the 95x0/M3800/M55x0. There are a number of other non-branded 20V battery backups, some of which show a 90W supply. Given how many other machines run in the 18-20V range (pretty much all Thinkpad and recent Dell models, at least some HPs, 15" Macs, etc)

My point was just to use the battery to pre-charge the capacitors so as to keep the supply from tripping the overcurrent protection on in-seat power, since it would be a bit less timing-dependent than hoping that the capacitors stay charged for longer than the outlet takes to reset. You wouldn't need a lot of capacity, jut a reasonably high-ish current briefly.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 5:52 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I had no idea this was a thing. I have a small but powerful Razor Blade drawing 165W which I assumed I'd be able to charge online. I was going to charge it tomorrow, but looks like I'll have to be a bit careful.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At least for the combination of a Dell thin 130W supply and an AA 772 new-style business class seat, the "plug/unplug repeatedly" to pre-charge the capacitors worked! It took several rounds, and the outlet went on again quicker than I remember some others doing, so I'm not sure I'd want to bet on it working everywhere (I have a 90W with tip adapter in my bag just in case) but it looks like I'll be at full, unthrottled speed for this flight
jackal likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 12:17 pm

Programs: United 1K, SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold Elite
I kept a list this year, high power requirements are kind of a pain!

Here's my successes and failures this year thus far with a Slim 130W Dell on a Precision M5510:

AC (QK) CRA / CRJ-705 / CRJ-900 J: Trips every time, doesn't work.
UA 738 E+: Trips every time, replug doesn't work.
UA 739 E+: Trips every time, replug doesn't work.
UA 73* F: Works on almost all configs with Sky interior
UA 752 pmCO Int'l Config E+: Works
UX E175 F: Works
DL (OO) E175 F: Works
DL 752 F (new bins): Works
DL MD88 F: Works
EqualOpp likes this.

Last edited by yangotang; Jan 3, 2018 at 2:51 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.