Search

UNIXing with Windows

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2015, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

UNIXing with Windows

OK - this is probably all old hat to the gurus here, but -

As I was fooling around with the hosts file, it got to be somewhat clumsy because the files tend to be rather large. I found myself wishing I had some of the neat UNIX tools for handling text stuff. Then I remembered at one time I had got hold of a number of the -NIX utilities that had been converted to DOS.

I still had them available, so I stuffed a few of them in the system32 folder (since it was already on the path). Even though they were converted to good old 16-bit DOS, a lot of them still work fine. So far, grep, wc, and find seem to work fine.

As time goes on, I imagine I will find more of them that work - I really missed grep - from the command line, it's a lot easier than going through menus, etc.

Well, that is all.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 8:34 pm

Check out the gnuwin32 project.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by _kurt
Check out the gnuwin32 project.
Oh yeah - I'm sure there's lots of stuff. But what I had on hand was just that - stuff I had on hand. No installation, no .dll's, no hassles. Just copied them in and they worked.

Since they were compiled for 16-bit DOS, I was really surprised so many of them actually worked.

Gawd - I remember downloading them (28.8 modem) about 20 years ago. Plus ca change, plus ca la meme chose.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 6:15 am

www.cygwin.com

It has everything you want including the shells, ssh etc and config files in their natural places.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Feb 28, 2015 at 6:45 am
Old Feb 28, 2015, 11:50 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
www.cygwin.com

It has everything you want including the shells, ssh etc and config files in their natural places.

-David
+1. Or even better, just get a proper *nix box.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HDQDD
+1. Or even better, just get a proper *nix box.
Which can be free with Virtualbox and any Linux flavor.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 5:05 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Back in the 90s, I was making good use of awk, sed, grep and so on, for Windows. These days? Oracle Virtualbox + Linux VM. I wish Microsoft would implement all these tools natively, for Windows (a terrible OS for text processing, but with qualities of its own).
Old Mar 5, 2015, 4:01 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K
Another vote for Cygwin - it is also easy to keep up to date!
Relevant: http://lifehacker.com/362316/use-uni...command-prompt
Old Mar 5, 2015, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

I was looking for some stuff in my hosts file (see another thread) and thinking that this would be a lot easier if I could just grep, cut, sort, wc, etc. like I do under Unix. Then I thought of that stuff I had on hand, and tried it out, and it worked! (As long as I wasn't trying to dick around with the file system).

But, as others have pointed out, code written specifically to work under Windows would be a much better solution. Still, when you're in a hurry, any car will do, rather than holding out for the limo.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by BigLar
But, as others have pointed out, code written specifically to work under Windows would be a much better solution.
http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/

Old Mar 6, 2015, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Shouldn't be surprising; 16 bit DOS and Windows are still supported on every 32-bit version of Windows (even 8!)

64-bit versions of Windows, all the way back to XP/2003 (or even further back, to NT on Dec Alpha!) abandon 16-bit support.

There's also DOSBOX, an absolutely free and absolutely wonderful DOS emulator that runs on pretty much every OS out there.

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Which can be free with Virtualbox and any Linux flavor.
Indeed. Or there are a bunch of other ways of running both Windows/Linux with one or both virtualized, depending on one's hypervisor of choice and how old the hardware is.

Originally Posted by Internaut
I wish Microsoft would implement all these tools natively, for Windows (a terrible OS for text processing, but with qualities of its own).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Services_for_UNIX
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/.../cc771470.aspx
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...s.aspx?id=2391

Originally Posted by Mikity
Another vote for Cygwin - it is also easy to keep up to date!
Relevant: http://lifehacker.com/362316/use-uni...command-prompt
I (heart) Cygwin. It's not quite perfect Unix, and it's not quite native Windows, but I haven't found anything else that does what it does anywhere near as well.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 3:25 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Another vote for Cygwin here. The big advantage is having it installable on heavily policied machines. Having vim, sed, awk, perl and all such tools is a joy!

I will give GNUwin a try, though. Although, as we all know, GNU's Not Unix...
Old Mar 6, 2015, 3:55 am

Originally Posted by nkedel
There's also DOSBOX, an absolutely free and absolutely wonderful DOS emulator that runs on pretty much every OS out there.
Mostly written for playing DOS games though (although in its more recent incarnations it can even run WIndows 3.1)...
Old Mar 6, 2015, 5:09 am

Thank you for the links! How would you compare the "Windows Services for Unix" experience with Cygwin?
Old Mar 6, 2015, 6:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Gow is a nice lighter-weight alternative
https://github.com/bmatzelle/gow/wiki

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.