Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Inexpensive unlocked phone with Nav for traveling to Europe?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Inexpensive unlocked phone with Nav for traveling to Europe?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2015, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Mods, please delete

My main requirement is that I can use the phone as a navigation system for an upcoming trip (France, Italy, Switzerland), as well as future ones. I used to have an HTC HD2 for this task, which, sadly, has passed on to the Big Phone Booth In The Sky, so I'm in need of a replacement. I have an iPhone 6 in the U.S., but as recent experience suggests, Apple doesn't do well even with "offline" nav systems (i.e. Sygic) when data is turned off (the HTC didn't have this problem). So, unless the 6 is different from the 5 with which I experienced this problem, it won't do.

Last edited by gfunkdave; Feb 26, 2016 at 10:49 am Reason: restored original post
Old Jan 4, 2015, 10:16 am

Curious to see how this plays out for you as Ive often wondered how others do this.

European data plans for american phones are brutal.

UD
Old Jan 4, 2015, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by highlanderfil
My main requirement is that I can use the phone as a navigation system for an upcoming trip (France, Italy, Switzerland), as well as future ones. I used to have an HTC HD2 for this task, which, sadly, has passed on to the Big Phone Booth In The Sky, so I'm in need of a replacement. I have an iPhone 6 in the U.S., but as recent experience suggests, Apple doesn't do well even with "offline" nav systems (i.e. Sygic) when data is turned off (the HTC didn't have this problem). So, unless the 6 is different from the 5 with which I experienced this problem, it won't do.

Thanks!
If you're willing to consider carrying two handsets, the locked Nokia Lumia phones are selling for very low prices nowadays and can be preloaded with free worldwide maps that work well offline.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by unmesh
If you're willing to consider carrying two handsets, the locked Nokia Lumia phones are selling for very low prices nowadays and can be preloaded with free worldwide maps that work well offline.
HERE maps, which is what the Lumia (no longer Nokia!) phones use is also available for free download from the Android store. The Android version also supports free worldwide offline maps.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
Curious to see how this plays out for you as Ive often wondered how others do this.

European data plans for american phones are brutal.

UD
T-mo have been getting raved about for their global data of late.

@OP - as for the phone, I have an Android with Sygic and it works well, but there are lots of offline maps in the Play store, typically I prefer the offline ones anyway as I think mobile phones have lulled people into thinking that they actually do have "99% coverage" or something equally dubious before you read the fine print. OSMand maps I used for a while and that did what it said on the tin. If I do have data then Waze is good.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by unmesh
Yeah, I'm OK with carrying two handsets (that was kinda the point). Of course, I'd only need the iPhone for when I'm departing/returning to the U.S., so if the nano-SIM fits into the Lumia, that would be even better. I'll check them out, thanks!
Old Jan 4, 2015, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

So, apparently, Microsoft sells a no-contract Lumia 635 for $69. How difficult would it be to unlock it?
Old Jan 4, 2015, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So, apparently, Microsoft sells a no-contract Lumia 635 for $69. How difficult would it be to unlock it?
If there is no contract they are usually unlocked.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Or, GPS satnavs are usually pretty cheap with pre-loaded maps of Europe at the moment.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 1:08 pm

Programs: QF WP, QF Lifetime Gold, SQ/*G, Velocity Rewards, IHG Rewards, Hilton Honours, Accor Le Club
Works fine on iPhone with data roaming off:

http://maps.me/en/home
Old Jan 4, 2015, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
If there is no contract they are usually unlocked.
The fact that they sell an explicitly unlocked $179 version of the same phone would seem to imply that this isn't exactly the case... It _is_ mentioned as an AT&T no-contract phone...
Old Jan 4, 2015, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LifeTimeBronze
Works fine on iPhone with data roaming off:

http://maps.me/en/home
Not a bad idea, this, either. I'll check it out as well!
Old Jan 4, 2015, 1:20 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
I bought my dad the unlocked Lumia 635 for Christmas for $179, partially because the GPS in his car is ridiculously out of date and the firmware update was ridiculously expensive.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The fact that they sell an explicitly unlocked $179 version of the same phone would seem to imply that this isn't exactly the case... It _is_ mentioned as an AT&T no-contract phone...
No idea about that as you didn't provide links but if you want to go down that route: http://www.phonearena.com/image.php?...58&kw=&popup=1 looks even cheaper.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
No idea about that as you didn't provide links but if you want to go down that route: http://www.phonearena.com/image.php?...58&kw=&popup=1 looks even cheaper.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Sorry, here:

Unlocked

No contract

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.