Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Inexpensive unlocked phone with Nav for traveling to Europe?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Inexpensive unlocked phone with Nav for traveling to Europe?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2015, 8:15 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
In late November, I used a dual-sim Moto G model in Ireland with a Vodafone sim (on an H2O Wireless sim in the US) with NavFree maps, which can be downloaded to the phone so no continuing data connection required. The G has limited, unexpandable storage space so it's best to use it solely as nav software for a specific foreign country rather than as the primary nav system no matter where you are (a full set of maps for the US/UK/Ireland and parts of Europe ate up over 5GB of the approximately 8GB available on the phone). Worked well and was very nice not having to carry two phones and remember the idiosyncracies of the operation of each phone.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Internaut
For a no nonsense, unlocked phone? Either tne Motorola G or the low end Lumias are your best bet. The G comes with Google Maps, which is more dependent on a data connection. Here Maps has the edge for offline usage (especially for turn by turn navigation). My opinion? If you can get by on local SIMs, and if you understand how local pre-paid data works, then go for the G.
Thank you, but the idea is exactly the opposite. I don't want to bother with local SIMs for data. Not saying I wouldn't look at the option, but I don't want to tie myself down in case I can't be arsed to (and the last couple trips I couldn't be arsed to - it was more of a pain than just using Skype to make calls wherever wi-fi was available).
Old Jan 5, 2015, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jeffcarp
I did exactly what you are looking to do. I bought a Nexus 5 on Swappa (32GB) for about $200. I have nothing on the phone but NAV and I downloaded HERE and TomTom to the phone. You can buy a local SIM in-country if you want and activate the Nexus 5 overseas or just use it in airplane mode as an offline navigator.
Yep, the highlighted is the plan. Not a bad deal, but did it have a warranty? I already got burned buying a phone second-hand (the aforementioned HD2), so I'd rather get something with fewer features, but also with less of a likelihood of going kaput.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Middle_Seat
Maps.Me is a free Android app that has free maps for almost all nations. It does not need a data connection to work.

I have used the maps for the last year or two, and they seem accurate. The routing function is new, and I have not tried it.
I have the app and the maps with routing downloaded. Going to test drive it on my next trip across a couple of states and if it works OK, just going to stick with it. Can't beat free, especially if it works.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Just wondering why you want a phone (with possible $$$ roaming charges) instead of a GPS for the job?
I don't want a phone with possible roaming charges. The idea would be to use it in airplane mode strictly as a GPS. It would be nice if I could also use said phone to make calls in the event I obtain a local SIM, but that's not a strict requirement.
if you have a GPS you can get European maps and not have to worry about roaming charges or online/offline issues.
I don't have a GPS, nor do I want to buy one.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Be careful with this phone because it may not be possible to unlock it. If you look for unlocking services for ATT Lumia 520 on eBay, you will see that all the companies have a disclaimer about phones carrying EMEI numbers beginning with a certain string of digits.
In all honesty, if I'm buying a phone for $29.99 and can get maps on it, I couldn't give less of a $h!te if it can be unlocked It's thirty bucks and I can probably sell it on eBay and make twenty of them back if I want to.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Maybe I don't understand exactly what offline maps do, but what I want from a navigation system is something that knows exactly where I am now and can find me the quickest route to where I want to be next. To me, something called offline maps sounds no different that printing directions before you leave home, which doesn't take into account detours, making the wrong turn, road construction, etc.
Sounds like you don't. An offline GPS program takes your phone's GPS receiver and turns your phone into a GPS using downloadable maps. The "offline" portion of it means that you don't use data.

Hm, maybe I should just get an old HTC TyTN II that I went all over Europe in 2008 with... I'm sure I can pick one up for peanuts on eBay - too bad the screen is positively tiny compared to what I've managed to get myself used to since then...
Old Jan 5, 2015, 9:35 am

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent

Having recently purchased a 520 myself, but unable to unlock it, I now have what amounts to an iPod. With the Maps.Me app, it should work fine as a GPS.
That's exactly how I use the 520's. Bought three a couple of weeks ago from Amazon for $20 each. I can use the phones in the U.S. (I use AT&T) but I leave the sim card out and the GPS and maps work great

Maybe I don't understand exactly what offline maps do, but what I want from a navigation system is something that knows exactly where I am now and can find me the quickest route to where I want to be next. To me, something called offline maps sounds no different that printing directions before you leave home, which doesn't take into account detours, making the wrong turn, road construction, etc.
The offline maps means that the map is loaded to the phone and does not use data. It performs the normal routing calculations, tells you when to turn, shows vehicle location, etc., but does not have traffic conditions due to no data.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by lwildernorva
In late November, I used a dual-sim Moto G model in Ireland with a Vodafone sim (on an H2O Wireless sim in the US) with NavFree maps, which can be downloaded to the phone so no continuing data connection required. The G has limited, unexpandable storage space so it's best to use it solely as nav software for a specific foreign country rather than as the primary nav system no matter where you are (a full set of maps for the US/UK/Ireland and parts of Europe ate up over 5GB of the approximately 8GB available on the phone). Worked well and was very nice not having to carry two phones and remember the idiosyncracies of the operation of each phone.
The "standard" 2013 G lacks expandable storage. The 2013 LTE G (that was launched in 2014) has expandable storage, all of the new 2014 Gs also have expandable storage.

The Sony Z3 also comes with the option to download the Garmin Maps, with the option to purchase additional regions. The interesting part about that is they run off of Here Maps. Though there are two unlocked versions of the phone, one supports most of the US bands, and one has European bands, (and there's the T-Mobile one.) Very nice handset though.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...oryID.68032000
Old Jan 5, 2015, 2:01 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
If you're going to use the phone while abroad for more than just GPS, I'd go with the '14 Moto G... the Consumer Cellular locked version (they call it the Moto G EXT) can be had from Sears for $130 pretty frequently, and a $3 unlock code will get it fully unlocked.

If you're just going to do offline nav, I'd probably go with one of the prepaid Nokia 635 models that match your current carrier so you can use it as a backup phone (at least if you're on ATT, TMO, or one of their MVNOs). The screen is a bit washed-out (I have a 630 as a backup, same phone but no LTE) and don't expect unlock codes for less than $15-$18.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 3:40 pm

BLU just announced their new lineup including a dual sim LTE phone with Lollipop for < $200 or a HSPA+ price conscious Studio G starting at $89
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300016107.html

The links in the Press Release point to bluproducts.com which redirects to 127.0.0.1. Hope they fix that quickly...

Pseudoswede pointed out the newly announced Asus Zenfone 2 is also under $200
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24108952-post2.html
Hands on http://www.gsmarena.com/ces_2015_asus-review-1189.php

Last edited by freecia; Jan 6, 2015 at 3:53 pm Reason: +Asus Zenfone 2
Old Jan 6, 2015, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
T-mo have been getting raved about for their global data of late.

@OP - as for the phone, I have an Android with Sygic and it works well, but there are lots of offline maps in the Play store, typically I prefer the offline ones anyway as I think mobile phones have lulled people into thinking that they actually do have "99% coverage" or something equally dubious before you read the fine print. OSMand maps I used for a while and that did what it said on the tin. If I do have data then Waze is good.

I was thinking the same. Look into a cheap T-Mobile phone, buy it and use the international data. There's no contract (but the phone needs to be paid off). COuld be a cheap solution.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by highlanderfil
In all honesty, if I'm buying a phone for $29.99 and can get maps on it, I couldn't give less of a $h!te if it can be unlocked It's thirty bucks and I can probably sell it on eBay and make twenty of them back if I want to.
Or it is a cheap GPS with lifetime worldwide maps!
Old Jan 10, 2015, 2:04 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Delta Silver
I'll just chime in here, but I think mostly others have said what I'm going to say, I'm just going to merge reply people's thoughts into one reply-

If you truly just want GPS, why does it matter what is locked/unlocked, just buy the cheaper phone that will do the trick for you, connect to WiFi and download the maps.

That said, I recently switched to a Note 4, but prior I had 4 different Nokia Lumia devices in roughly 3 or so years. I've taken 3 trips over the last couple years to Europe, and in every case I've left my phone in airplane mode the entire trip, meaning no data except when on WiFi. Using the HERE (Nokia) Maps, I've been able to get around driving in multiple countries in Europe with ease. So long as you download the country maps you need before hitting the road, you will have no problems.

I've used the dedicated Garmin GPS, the Google Maps, Nokia Maps and the Garmin app on the phone, and I *think* the Nokia maps are probably my favorite, which are also free.

While you can get the Nokia offline maps on android, I'd be inclined to still pick up a cheap Lumia 520 or similar phone for around $30-50. It seems like it would give you more flexibility if you decided you wanted to get a sim for your iphone, you'd have a separate device that you don't need to worry about it using up data while using the nav features, because it would remain in airplane mode.

One final note, if you do go with a Lumia 520 and probably some of the other low end nokia devices, be warned, you'll likely need a memory card. The amount of storage built into the phone is pretty low, and even while trying to help someone update the OS on their phone, it was attempting to write more than there was storage on the device. Granted, they had some music and other apps on the phone too, but it really doesn't leave you a lot of room for offline maps. MicroSD I believe.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by highlanderfil
I have the app and the maps with routing downloaded. Going to test drive it on my next trip across a couple of states and if it works OK, just going to stick with it. Can't beat free, especially if it works.
Tested Maps.me in California and it couldn't find the simplest of addresses. Next!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.