Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Official 2015: Which Smartphone Should I Get?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Official 2015: Which Smartphone Should I Get?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2015, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
This seems to be the normal price now across every retailer (including T-Mobile). I played around with it some more the other day, and it's just too darn large.

I also looked at the G4 with the leather back, and that is a very nice phone, but still feels little too large. My Galaxy S4 is getting slower and slower, but the 5" 1080p screen is the perfect size and resolution.
I went from the GS4 to the GS6, and the biggest difference so far has been the extra height on the S6, but beyond that the two feel very similar in size. I do agree with you on the Nexus, it is "freaking huge."
Old Jun 14, 2015, 3:17 pm
was thetravelingRedhead

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Silver Premier
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
I bought the Nexus 6 when the price dropped. I'll keep it because I want to switch to Google Fi, but this is the first Nexus I've been less than thrilled with. It's just too big to comfortably carry in a pocket or use one-handed.
Kinda my feelings as I look forward.

Locked into a contract until 11/15/15... I'm sure i could go to T-Mo but not sure if it is worth it with the current offerings.

I'm holding out for one of two phones:
  • 2015 Moto G (with 2GB ram as rumored)
  • New Nexus(')- Rumored to be two coming out

Its a bit hard finding a good vanilla experience for a reasonable price... I wish i had a chance to go Nexus 5... but I guess the moto E i have is a good stop gap.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
I bought the Nexus 6 when the price dropped. I'll keep it because I want to switch to Google Fi, but this is the first Nexus I've been less than thrilled with. It's just too big to comfortably carry in a pocket or use one-handed.
I keep hoping someone will come out with something larger. It's still too small to replace my 8" tablet, which will still fit in my trouser pockets.

(Although unlike the Nexus or Note 3, won't fit my shirt pocket or any of the pockets on my cycling jacket. Still, would be nice to go down to one device.)
Old Jun 15, 2015, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Moto X (2014) is now available for $300 after $50 mail-in rebate through Motorola's website.

There are also reports of black and bamboo models for $300 on Amazon, but I can't find them.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
This seems to be the normal price now across every retailer (including T-Mobile). I played around with it some more the other day, and it's just too darn large.

I also looked at the G4 with the leather back, and that is a very nice phone, but still feels little too large. My Galaxy S4 is getting slower and slower, but the 5" 1080p screen is the perfect size and resolution.
Sounds like an S5 would be the right next step. Reasonably cheap (as the S6 is now the flagship), a slightly bigger screen, waterproof (if that matters), excellent battery life AND you can swap the battery.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 4:23 pm

This is as much about where to buy as what to buy.

I want to get a Verizon US compatible phone without a contract. Android, "smart" phone. I don't care about games, video, television, photos, fast data transfer. i just need the general useful apps for travel. Current phone Androis O/S now too old to support everything I need. I'll be honest: price isn't as much an issue as simply not getting ripped off. Indifferent toward used/reconditioned phones, so long as I don't get one I can't activate (i.e., clear contract history).

Verizon's pretty pricey; Fry's is a little cheaper, but everything looks like it's from the Land of Misfit Toys.

Thanks!
Old Jun 26, 2015, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior

I want to get a Verizon US compatible phone without a contract. Android, "smart" phone. I don't care about games, video, television, photos, fast data transfer. i just need the general useful apps for travel. Current phone Androis O/S now too old to support everything I need. I'll be honest: price isn't as much an issue as simply not getting ripped off. Indifferent toward used/reconditioned phones, so long as I don't get one I can't activate (i.e., clear contract history).

Verizon's pretty pricey; Fry's is a little cheaper, but everything looks like it's from the Land of Misfit Toys.

Thanks!
Costco seems to be the general consensus on where to buy phones. After working in wireless retail for over 10 years, I'm personally only going to purchase directly from the carrier.

I've had some friend buy phones from Best Buy, and they're seemingly a good alternative. Tend to be ultra competitive with their price, and overall a decent choice.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 1:22 am

You won't get better value for money than https://oneplus.net .
Old Jun 28, 2015, 12:21 pm

Programs: National Executive, Hertz Five Star, Hilton Diamond, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by Thekman

x10.

It's a flagship phone for half the price.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
From the specs, I don't see much to recommend it over the Zenphone 2, which has very similar specs and essentially the same price.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist

Thanks!
Best Buy has the Verizon Moto G (1st Gen) for $20. The caveat is that it can only (and I mean only) used on Verizon pre-paid.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 2:34 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Best Buy has the Verizon Moto G (1st Gen) for $20. The caveat is that it can only (and I mean only) used on Verizon pre-paid.
Pretty sure it can transition to Post Paid after 6 months activated on Pre Paid...

That said, for $20 you not only get the Moto G but also a $25 Best Buy Rewards Zone credit (after 4-8 weeks). For $20 this phone would be a solid choice for a WiFi only device... I have one that I'm eventually going to use as a wall-mounted home-automation control pad.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 4:08 pm

Unless I'm mis-reading the website/FAQs, it's not compatible with Verizon. Am I missing something?
Old Jun 30, 2015, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Anyone using the new BlackBerry classic? I like the Q10 but the classic is bigger and seems a little clunky. I'm really going to miss the keyboard, but my BB days may be drawing to an end.

Any BB classic users have any thoughts?
Old Jun 30, 2015, 5:38 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Unless I'm mis-reading the website/FAQs, it's not compatible with Verizon. Am I missing something?
You're correct, it is not Verizon compatible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.