Satellite Internet for Cruise

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2014, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum

Are there good prepaid satellite plans that one can use on cruise ships and are far less expensive than what cruiseliners offer?
Old Dec 20, 2014, 2:11 pm

AT&T has a cruise package which works on some cruise lines and can be added to a post-paid contract.

$120 for 50 mins ($1/min over that) + 100mb of data ($1/mb over that). (also $30/$60 plans available with no data). also works in ports. http://www.att.com/shop/en/wireless/...ming.html#tab4
Old Dec 21, 2014, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA-3MM-ExPLT
Nope. You are a captive audience... If you brought your own VSAT terminal, it would be on the wrong side of the ship (out of sight) half the time and not 3 axis stabilized, i.e. useless.

lewinr: That's actually WORSE than what many of the cruise lines offer! For example, Princess' least expensive (highest per minute) plan: 120 minutes, 72.95 (Includes $69.00 for internet time plan + $3.95. One time activation fee)
Old Dec 21, 2014, 10:25 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Cruiseline's plans are often discounted and each ship's onboard internet "manager" run specials, extra minutes & last minute "deals" and if you are like us, with generous OBC (OnBoardCredit) to use, it can save money whereas your home carrier's plans are "fixed" and you can use promo credits to offset the final costs.

Regardless, it is the SAME speed/latency as it is relayed via the ship's tower in bouncing the signal up & back down to land towers - newer ships and those with upgraded hardware get faster speed.

We cruise to relax on vacation and stay offline, if you can wait - follow the ship's crew members & ask them for the best dock-side internet cafe, typically better & inexpensive - the same risk factors applied re: unsecured WiFi at foreign ports.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 11:07 pm

yes, it depends on the cruise line as to whether that is reasonable or not.

next week I'm sailing on Royal Caribbean's Jewel of the Seas which I read has poor wifi and internet. Since I need to be able to make and receive voice calls, I've decided to go with the AT&T package as I find that the quality with Skype is too frustrating when the internet connection is poor. And the fact that Amex has an offer of "Spend $150 or more at AT&T and get $150 back" makes it almost free right now...
Old Dec 22, 2014, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
They need to get with the program. And to people who talk about vacation and goin offline, I get it, but this isn't about disconnecting from work. My life is online so I'm on a cruise and I see something I want to know more about. We have a nice wine at dinner, whatever. My instinct is to google it and being very curious I'm utterly at a loss.

That having been said, on a recent cruise I had to a bit of banking. End of the month. No biggie but wanted to make sure the money was in the right place. Also just wanted to check there were no issues with our homeward flights. Onshore was a total bust and even my data plan on the phone wasn't working.. Broke down and bought a $50 card on board. It was gone in 8 minutes. Totally unjustifiable.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
If your cruise data package is MB-based (as opposed to minute-based), be sure that you have all automatic updates, uploads, downloads, and similar turned off. Especially if you're gone for a few days, here's what can happen: You turn on your Windows laptop the day after Microsoft "patch Tuesday" and it downloads 100mb of Windows updates in the background. Meanwhile, you connect your iPhone and it uploads all of your pictures you've taken over the past few days up to the cloud. These things can exhaust even a large Internet package in a short period of time. If you have everything that uses data in the background turned off, you can get a surprising amount of normal stuff done without using a lot of data.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Steve M
If your cruise data package is MB-based (as opposed to minute-based), be sure that you have all automatic updates, uploads, downloads, and similar turned off. Especially if you're gone for a few days, here's what can happen: You turn on your Windows laptop the day after Microsoft "patch Tuesday" and it downloads 100mb of Windows updates in the background. Meanwhile, you connect your iPhone and it uploads all of your pictures you've taken over the past few days up to the cloud. These things can exhaust even a large Internet package in a short period of time. If you have everything that uses data in the background turned off, you can get a surprising amount of normal stuff done without using a lot of data.
They were turned off. $50 still lasted 8 minutes of reading email.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 6:07 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Internet is a major profit center for cruise lines. They offer packages of minutes you can buy....expensive and at times very SLOW. If you have status with the line you will be comped some.....
Old Dec 24, 2014, 2:58 am

I cruise to get away from the crazy Internet world that we live in today.

But I think it is increasingly difficult. I do need to keep in touch with the office, so on my most recent cruise on the Norwegian Jade, I bought a 100 minute package (they gave 10 minutes free). Cost was $55 plus a $3.95 activation fee.

The speed was pretty fast though, and it worked well even when the ship was out in the ocean. (We were sailing the Med)
Old Dec 24, 2014, 6:39 am

Also go out of your way to get online one last time online and download everything before you leave. If you are on a per meg package besides turning off Microsoft updates, also remember to turn off any cloud syncing such as Dropbox. Tell your emails not to display graphics and download only headers. If you are on a by the minute plan, composes responses offline.

I wish that Apple and Microsoft had profiles that you could create telling your computer when to do everything and when to be a data-miser. I just blew through 2.5 gigs of my 5 gigs of tethering because of something similar while going online to do some very minor research at a meeting.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 7:58 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by iluvcruising2
I cruise to get away from the crazy Internet world that we live in today.

But I think it is increasingly difficult. I do need to keep in touch with the office, so on my most recent cruise on the Norwegian Jade, I bought a 100 minute package (they gave 10 minutes free). Cost was $55 plus a $3.95 activation fee.

The speed was pretty fast though, and it worked well even when the ship was out in the ocean. (We were sailing the Med)
Activation fee ? Thta's a new one !

We are avid cruisers and carry a mMagic Jack phone with us. Cruise lines of course will not let you plug it in directly to their computers!
When in port we find a cyber cafe (crew members know where !, ask those you see on shore leave). Call home, airlines etc. I suppose Vonage would work too !
Old Dec 24, 2014, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP 6+ MM, AC, DL (MM) & LT SC; All Airlines 10+MM, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by HMPS
....We are avid cruisers and carry a mMagic Jack phone with us... !
MagicJack and Vonage each have smartphone apps that let you use a smartphone to make calls when connected to a WiFi network or using your data connection. Most Internet cafes at the ports provide WiFi connectivity and so you can use your smartphone to make the calls.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
I wish that Apple and Microsoft had profiles that you could create telling your computer when to do everything and when to be a data-miser.
Windows 8 has just such a feature: it's called "metered connection." When you make a WiFi connection, you can specify if it's metered. If so, then Windows makes some adjustments, although not enough IMHO: doesn't download recommended Windows updates even if you have them set to auto-download (but it still downloads critical patches, which most seem to be), and it doesn't download cover art for music played in Media Player. I'm sure it does a few other things.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 7:07 pm

Here is a link to the metered connection info on Microsoft:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...sked-questions

Looking for a Mac equivalent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.