Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Motorola Nexus 6

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2014, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Looks like there are already inventory issues from Motorola. T-Mobile has to push back their release date a week due to not receiving stock. I wonder if Sprint, AT&T, and VZW are in the same boat.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Looks like there are already inventory issues from Motorola. T-Mobile has to push back their release date a week due to not receiving stock. I wonder if Sprint, AT&T, and VZW are in the same boat.
I've thought the T-Mobile originally promised release on the 12th was odd, considering orders straight from Google still say "Leaves Warehouse by 11/21" (or later) and Moto promised delivery of its first pre-orders on the 19th.

The full reviews of the device that were released today look awesome, but I think Google has flubbed yet another launch.

Flubbed launch or not, I can't wait until my 64 GB White model hits my doorstep.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
So Sprint wants $300 for the 32GB version and you can only get it in blue. I could live with the lack of color choice...but that's a bit much for a device that doesn't even offer you the option of upgrading the memory. With such a high pixel count I would feel cheated having to store low res video files on it. I've read a few more reviews and I have to say I'm less excited about the N6 now. A couple sites mentioned that it is somewhat sluggish. How is that possible on a brand new flagship model? Very disappointing if true.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by broadwayblue
So Sprint wants $300 for the 32GB version and you can only get it in blue. I could live with the lack of color choice...but that's a bit much for a device that doesn't even offer you the option of upgrading the memory. With such a high pixel count I would feel cheated having to store low res video files on it. I've read a few more reviews and I have to say I'm less excited about the N6 now. A couple sites mentioned that it is somewhat sluggish. How is that possible on a brand new flagship model? Very disappointing if true.
Exactly two reviews mentioned sluggishness, while everyone else says it is extremely snappy. All reviews, even the ones claiming some sluggish app loading and boot times, have been very positive overall. It should be noted that all reviews were done before an OTA was pushed last Wednesday.

FWIW, if there is an issue with slow-loading apps and booting, it's probably a bug related to the full-device encryption. I suspect they'll get it worked out with a software update.

Many who ordered from Motorola are receiving their units today (a gripe that I have since I ordered earlier from Google Play, but I digress), so we'll start seeing some real-world reports soon. I have an AT&T nano SIM in hand and a Spigen Slim Armor case due to be delivered tomorrow, anxiously awaiting delivery of the 6.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
Exactly two reviews mentioned sluggishness, while everyone else says it is extremely snappy. All reviews, even the ones claiming some sluggish app loading and boot times, have been very positive overall. It should be noted that all reviews were done before an OTA was pushed last Wednesday.

FWIW, if there is an issue with slow-loading apps and booting, it's probably a bug related to the full-device encryption. I suspect they'll get it worked out with a software update.

Many who ordered from Motorola are receiving their units today (a gripe that I have since I ordered earlier from Google Play, but I digress), so we'll start seeing some real-world reports soon. I have an AT&T nano SIM in hand and a Spigen Slim Armor case due to be delivered tomorrow, anxiously awaiting delivery of the 6.
Ars Technica really ripped the N6, basically said that the N4 was just as fast. The rest of the reviews I read (Engadget and BGR) really didn't make too much mention of it, until an app crashed. But Ars was quite critical about the speed. I wonder if 4.4.4 vs 5.0 has much to do with it. I would like to see some of the speed tests on an N4 running 5.0.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/...compromises/1/
Old Nov 17, 2014, 10:46 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
My guess is the screen resolution has a lot to do with it... a good friend of mine has similar issues with the similarly speced LG G3.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
My guess is the screen resolution has a lot to do with it... a good friend of mine has similar issues with the similarly speced LG G3.
The resolution is definitely slowing things down. It's also the first Android with full device encryption. I think that's the larger factor.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WIRunner
Ars Technica really ripped the N6, basically said that the N4 was just as fast. The rest of the reviews I read (Engadget and BGR) really didn't make too much mention of it, until an app crashed. But Ars was quite critical about the speed. I wonder if 4.4.4 vs 5.0 has much to do with it. I would like to see some of the speed tests on an N4 running 5.0.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/...compromises/1/
Even Ars's negativity focused primarily on the size (totally subjective) and the sequential read time slowness. I think the lag is a software issue that will be remedied with a quick update, if it hasn't already been remedied. As I noted, the reviews were done with pre-final release firmware and an OTA was pushed last Wednesday, after the reviews.

Every other review I've seen shows an extremely snappy device, without the lag present in the Note 4's Touchwiz UI.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
So, it may not be completely unbranded...
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Nexus...anding_id62919
The Nexus 6 is available for pre-order on AT&T right now. The consumer page shows only a front view of the shiny new phablet, but if you dig a around a bit, the carrier’s business page shows off various angles of the device. Upon looking at the back plate of the Nexus 6, behold, an AT&T logo.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WIRunner
So, it may not be completely unbranded...
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Nexus...anding_id62919
Heh, I saw that. At least AT&T's death star logo isn't awful. If and when Verizon ever gets it, they will do something vomit-inducingly obnoxious to the phone.

I'm glad I ordered from the Play Store, even though I got bumped out of line.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
The resolution is definitely slowing things down. It's also the first Android with full device encryption. I think that's the larger factor.
Is it actually "full device encryption?" My impression is that it was just the /data volume encryption being always on by default, which has been an option with Android for years.

Real full-device encryption would encrypt everything from the bootloader up, and would disable factory reset using the recovery screen which appears not to be the case.

On newer phones, in real use the performance cost to encryption is minimal. I've been running both off my current phones (Moto G LTE/2013 and Galaxy Note 3) encrypted since my Note 2 got stolen, and I've not noticed any slowdown.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

My understanding is that the entire device is encrypted. I'll look into it though to see if I can find confirmation.

Further, it's the opinion of pretty much the entire android community that encryption is what's slowing down the N6 sequential read/write speeds. As a comparison, the N5 speeds drop by as much as 75%when encrypted, vs unencrypted speed.

Unfortunately the N6 is encrypted by default with no official method to unencrypt. I hope xda takes care of that right away.

Last edited by SRQ Guy; Nov 17, 2014 at 6:00 pm
Old Nov 17, 2014, 6:14 pm

Programs: MR Platinum
I run one of my Nexus 4 encrypted (IT requirement to get work email on my phone) and I don't really notice a speed difference vs. an unencrypted one - granted I don't do the same things on the different Nexus 4's. My experience with work laptop with SSDs reflects the same. It's possible I am just so used to the performance after the encryption-tax I don't even notice it anymore

The devices have enough memory that encryption shouldn't really affect read/write speed unless very large data set is being used.

With the amount of information available on smartphones, I think enabling encryption by default is the safe thing to do.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 6:23 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
I assume it isn't waterproof? I do like my S4 Active for that feature.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jason8612
I assume it isn't waterproof? I do like my S4 Active for that feature.
It's "water resistant", but no IP specification is stated. Moto uses some sort of nanocoating to keep it safe from incidental contact with water.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.