Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Are Off-Brand Chinese Android Phones a Terrible Idea? Or Merely a Bad Idea?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2014, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards

After 10 years of having a cheap $20 voice and text plan, my wireless provider is telling me I can't renew for another term. So I thought I'd go out there and find the next cheapest plan.

What I'd like to do is rather than buying a device from the provider, I thought I'd buy my own unlocked phone instead. Some of the cheap Chinese Androids I see on sites like dealsmachine don't look half bad, but I am a little nervous about dropping $125 or whatever on something that ends up being a dud.

Can anyone with experience speak to the wisdom or lack thereof of this course of action? At the moment I am using an iPhone 3GS and before that it was flip-phones/feature phones, so as you can tell I am not exactly on the cutting edge of tech, although my phone is basically my web surfing/e-mail/photography device when I travel.

If this doesn't pan out I will probably go for one of the Motorola Motos which seem reasonably priced.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
If you are already looking in the US$125-range, you might as well get a Moto E.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Devices from Blu get decent reviews on Amazon. As pseudoswede noted, though, you're probably better off looking at the Moto E or even the Moto G for a few more dollars.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I've had a Blu Advance 4.0 - $80 from Frys - for a week now and it works great. Unlocked, quad band, dual SIM, only 3G but I am too cheap to pay for data....
Old Sep 15, 2014, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Never heard of Blu before... I'll look into it. The stuff I was looking at on dealsmachine was real oddball stuff with brand names that yield nothing whatsoever on google, like Mpie, Onda, THL, Kingelon, Mijue, Leagoo, Doogee, Timmy, Otium, Cuebot, Mixc, Jiake, Feiteng (do the manufacturers come up with a different brand for each phone?!?).

Honestly, maybe the best course of action is to just play it safe and buy an unlocked Moto of some sort. Going with one of the weird Chinese off-brands just seems like a total roll of the dice.

Thanks, all!
Old Sep 15, 2014, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
you're probably better off looking at the Moto E or even the Moto G for a few more dollars.
Bump +1
You get a lot for the bang with the newer Moto G
Old Sep 15, 2014, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
FT's doing a MR to India soon & have a local connection, might want to see if you can get your hands on a new "Android One" designed for developing (Asia, for now) markets - specs (Quad-core A7 CPU, 4.5" display, 4GB memory, microSD slot, etc.) at around $105 USD, according to this NBC News link.

This is serious competition against ZTE, Xiaomi & Huawei, etc. in those markets. Worth having a look for travelers landing at those places - even as a secondary or backup.

Last edited by Letitride3c; Sep 15, 2014 at 6:28 pm
Old Sep 15, 2014, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
I have a Blu Dash 4.0 for a couple of year and it works fine overseas unless you need LTE bands. Groupon has a Blu phone on sale now for $77.

http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-blu-...00003_200248_0
Old Sep 15, 2014, 5:40 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Unless you absolutely have to stay around $100, I would go with the Moto E or Moto G. I would expect some discounted 2013 Moto Gs to start popping up pretty soon now that the 2014 model is out.

As for Blu, there are a handful of models they've started updating to Android 4.4.2, so I'd probably stick to those (prices and screen sizes randing from 4.5" to 5.5" and from $125 to $350, but none with LTE).
Old Sep 15, 2014, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by laspvg
Groupon has a Blu phone on sale now for $77.

http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-blu-...00003_200248_0
You might as well go for the Samsung Galaxy Light. I was able to get one for $50 a few months ago. If you're a T-Mobile customer, you might be eligible to get one for $24 (through their Summer Savings promotion).

(Oops, just noticed the OP lives in Canada.)
Old Sep 16, 2014, 6:32 am

Programs: "I COME FROM Des Moines. Somebody had to." -- Bill Bryson
I recommend the Moto E. Got my wife one for $120 on Amazon. She loves it. It is a solid, feature packed phone for the price.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
16 GB Moto G, global GSM. $180.00 shipped if you have Amazon Prime. 8GB LTE (4G) for $200. I don't think you an do better than this for the extra few bucks. Thes ephones will have a warranty you can actually use if necessary.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UAVirgin
I recommend the Moto E. Got my wife one for $120 on Amazon. She loves it. It is a solid, feature packed phone for the price.
You can get a Moto E for $100-103 through Amazon Warehouse Deals, many are simply in damaged packaging.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
I've had one - a Star W007, designed to look like an iPhone4 - do a Google search and you'll see what I mean. It was hard visually to tell apart from the iPhone, if you exclude the extra thickness and the Android logo on the back. The thing wasn't the fastest phone on earth and had a custom ROM which had some useful features* (Auto switch off at night and on in the morning etc.), removeable battery, was dual SIM (and they were assignable - data/calls/texts etc.) and the camera was useless. *Then there was also some news (http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...re-google-play) about some of them coming with malware preloaded, I stopped using mine after that and went for a Samsung S3 Mini.

Last edited by Jimmie76; Sep 16, 2014 at 11:01 am
Old Sep 16, 2014, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

OK, you guys have convinced me. If I can't get my provider to give me a sweetheart deal then I'm going to buy an unlocked Moto.

Thanks!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.