Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

is using phone's GPS to track plane speed allowed during flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2014, 7:52 am
Original Poster

is using phone's GPS to track plane speed allowed during flight? The phone
is still in airplane mode, of course, but the GPS Test app can still
show the plane's speed and GPS coordinates.

as long as I'm asking... what about bluetooth headphones?(not headset)
I have a large pair of bluetooth headphones but I sometimes get asked
by the FAs to turn them off during fligth. I comply, of course. However,
on other flights, the FAs don't seem to care at all. The headphones
are paired to either my phone or my Macbook Air for listening to music
or movies.

thanks!
Old Sep 4, 2014, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's probably not explicitly allowed but won't harm anything either. It probably won't work, in any case. The GPS chip in most phones needs a cell signal to give it its initial rough location before it can fine tune things.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
It's probably not explicitly allowed but won't harm anything either. It probably won't work, in any case. The GPS chip in most phones needs a cell signal to give it its initial rough location before it can fine tune things.
All of the phones that I have owned can use GPS while in airplane mode. (including Samsung galaxy nexus, S2, ,Note 2 and 3, Motorola X, and HTC One). Take for example my galaxy note 3... a 38000 feet, several hundred mile south of the Aleutian Islands, it was able to Locke onto 11 GPS satellites within 6 seconds. (Upper deck window seat) it showed the heading and speed of 553 miles/hr.

Of course, I follow airline rule, but even the FAs don't seem to know. A couple of them told me that as long as airplane mode was on, it was okay.... but some say the exact opposite
Old Sep 4, 2014, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
The GPS works fine without cell signal, but the phone may not be able to late you on a map without a data signal to download the map. There are offline map products, though.

I'd think that you might need to hold your phone up to the window to get a solid GPS lock, though, and that may raise some eyebrows.

Last edited by SRQ Guy; Sep 4, 2014 at 12:04 pm
Old Sep 4, 2014, 12:43 pm

Most newer phones with GPS will work in airplane mode UNLESS you have an iPhone. I could be wrong, but I think Apple disabled GPS in their airplane mode.

It could take longer for the GPS to locate you if you don't have mobile data. Like gfunkdave said, mobile data helps to speed up the process. It probably won't take that long with the newer chip.. maybe 10-15 seconds? Now if you completely turn off the phone when the plane took off.. it could take longer to get the lock after you are in the air. And you will need to see at least 4 sats.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 3:46 pm

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by Karelia
is using phone's GPS to track plane speed allowed during flight? The phone
is still in airplane mode, of course, but the GPS Test app can still
show the plane's speed and GPS coordinates.

as long as I'm asking... what about bluetooth headphones?(not headset)
I have a large pair of bluetooth headphones but I sometimes get asked
by the FAs to turn them off during fligth. I comply, of course. However,
on other flights, the FAs don't seem to care at all. The headphones
are paired to either my phone or my Macbook Air for listening to music
or movies.

thanks!
Well for one your GPS will work while in airplane mode. There is a certain way to activate it that enables it to work. It doesn't always however but in most cases it does. Altitude, weather, turbulence are usually factors that affect this.
Your Bluetooth headphones can be worn during taxis, takeoff, landing and in flight. The headphones cannot be on or noise cancelling activated during taxi takeoff landing phases of flight. You can only turn them on after takeoff. . Your Bluetooth can be paired and in operation now with the new FAA rules that allowed use of PED's (portable electronic devices) last year. SO how are you using PED's with the noise cancelling off? Geniuses. lol The policy was due to enabling passengers to hear you if you were yelling commands. Believe it or not you can deplane an airplane and that one passenger is all caught up in his music and noise cancelling and doesn't realize he's the only one left.
This policy is usually standard but how it is enforced varies from airline to airline. Most legacy carriers don't push the issue while most regional carriers do.

Sources
Private Pilot
Airline Industry professional with major carrier. I have 11 years in the industry.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by AFRguy
Well for one your GPS will work while in airplane mode. There is a certain way to activate it that enables it to work. It doesn't always however but in most cases it does.
Do you know something Apple doesn't? They say that Airplane mode disables GPS. iOS: Understanding airplane mode
Old Sep 4, 2014, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPRich
Do you know something Apple doesn't? They say that Airplane mode disables GPS. iOS: Understanding airplane mode
I only use Android devices. GPS continues to work in airplane mode on all the
Android phones and tablets that I own. (including Samsung, HTC, Motorola,
and Sony)

Not sure why Apple disables GPS in airplane mode on the iPhone.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 3:10 am
Yub

I've used GPS Test from Chartcross. It's a free app available in the Google Play Store. It isn't good for showing your location on a map, but it shows your speed and altitude. It works fine in airplane mode and doesn't require a data connection.

On the phones that I've tried it on, it usually works only if you are in a window seat, and may need to be held up to the window, especially to get an initial fix.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 8:03 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Karelia
On which airline? Each carrier establishes its own policy. Two examples.

Delta says yes:

You may use the following devices from gate to gate on Delta and Delta Connection flights:
• AM/FM or satellite radios
• digital and video cameras
• calculators
• Delta-installed equipment such as in-flight entertainment systems
• DVD players*
• e-readers
• electric shavers
• electronic/digital watches
global positioning system (GPS) receivers
• handheld computer games
• headphones
• laptop computers*
• medical devices**
• noise reduction headphones
• portable media players*
• pagers
• smartphones and any device with cellular network service must be turned off or in airplane mode
• tablets and wireless keyboards or mouse

PED use on the ground and during takeoff and landing should be limited to small, lightweight devices less than 2 lbs. These devices should be of a size that could easily be secured in a seat pocket without exceeding the designed weight capacity of 3 lbs. including all contents of seat pocket (safety card, Sky magazine, airsickness bag) and not impede emergency egress to the aisle.
* DVD players, laptop computers, and other devices that exceed the size/weight restrictions must be stowed for taxi, takeoff and landing.
** Medical devices including the following items may be used during all phases of flight: hearing aids; heart monitors; heart pacemakers and other implanted medical devices; insulin pumps; nebulizers/vaporizers; approved portable oxygen concentrators; approved respirators/ventilators; approved sleep apnea machines.
United does not mention GPS receivers in its policy:

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...e/devices.aspx
Old Sep 5, 2014, 11:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by mia
United does not mention GPS receivers in its policy:

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...e/devices.aspx
Well, it does in a manner of speaking:

Devices that are NOT permitted for use:

radio receivers and/or transmitters (including AM/FM/SW, CB and scanners)
A GPS device is a radio receiver. You're right in saying that it varies by carrier. Along with Delta, Southwest is another carrier that explicitly allows GPS use in flight, IIRC.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 11:15 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
The Apple I Phone GPS will work in an airplane, when turned on..and held to the window...with wi fi, Reg old GPS will work also...
Old Sep 5, 2014, 11:31 am

I used my Galaxy S4 on a flight a month or so ago, and actually had better success than I've seen in the past on older phones. Even though I was a couple of seats in, I was able to get a position lock a fair amount of time (not always though), and I found that google map when you're zoomed out a fair way doesn't need the data connection (not sure how far in it keeps cached, but it worked pretty well for the type of position I'd need for knowing where I was in an airplane).
Old Sep 5, 2014, 11:34 am

The GPS chip in most phones needs a cell signal to give it its initial rough location before it can fine tune things.
Are you guys quoting the same article or something? I am not sure how old that is but it is certainly outdated. Take an Android (or any non-iPhone smartphone) and turn on Airplane mode, go outside and open up Google map. The map will not load and stay on the last cashed page, but if you hit the GPS locate button, it will take you to your location pretty fast.

Now stay in Airplane mode, and turn off the phone. Wait a few minutes and turn it back on. Go outside and open up Google map, and hit the locate button. This time it will say "Waiting for location". But if you wait about a minute it will locate you again. Yes, the cell data will HELP in initial location but the GPS ship in the new phones do not need it. It will just take a little longer for the initial lock just like any other GPS devices out there.

Last edited by Prospero; Sep 5, 2014 at 1:35 pm Reason: Remove quote of deleted spam post
Old Sep 5, 2014, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by satman40
The Apple I Phone GPS will work in an airplane, when turned on..and held to the window...with wi fi, Reg old GPS will work also...
To ask again - do you know something the Apple engineers don't?

Or are you operating your phone out of Airplane Mode?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.