Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel with multiple phones.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2014, 2:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
The 5s, iPad Air, and iPad Mini Retina are quite picky about Apple authorized cables.
Ah, a fact I did not know - and one that makes me a bit more annoyed at Apple.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 3:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I'm in the same boat as the OP. We had a few choices and I went with a small traditional Blackberry on Verizon.

My current personal phone is a Galaxy S3 on Sprint, contract ending in 5 weeks. From there I may stay Sprint or go T-Mobile, likely staying with a Galaxy.

I picked the BB for three reasons: (1) indestructible little gadget, (2) battery lasts for several days without recharging, and (3) I literally do nothing with it besides email, calendar, text, and the occasional conference call. No need for apps or anything outside of BB's wheelhouse.

Biz travel footprint is U.S./Canada for now. International coverage isn't a huge issue. When I travel abroad, I still carry a cheap (dumb) Nokia and buy prepaid SIMs. I also have a 3G data dongle that works in a few countries with prepaid data SIMs, although Wifi covers me well enough that I don't buy those SIMs as much anymore.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
I currently have a 5s. It's my first Apple, and to me it's just a tool... so I am not a fanboy or have a particular loyalty. I have also had an Android and Blackberry in the past. I guess the only platform I never tried was Windows.

I also use At&T at the moment, since I need GSM for when I go overseas.

Company is strict about separation.. so this device would be purely for business purposes/apps. Therefore, I can't do what I did in the past and just install MobilIron and Good or something similar.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by pinniped
I'm in the same boat as the OP. We had a few choices and I went with a small traditional Blackberry on Verizon.

My current personal phone is a Galaxy S3 on Sprint, contract ending in 5 weeks. From there I may stay Sprint or go T-Mobile, likely staying with a Galaxy.

I picked the BB for three reasons: (1) indestructible little gadget, (2) battery lasts for several days without recharging, and (3) I literally do nothing with it besides email, calendar, text, and the occasional conference call. No need for apps or anything outside of BB's wheelhouse.

Biz travel footprint is U.S./Canada for now. International coverage isn't a huge issue. When I travel abroad, I still carry a cheap (dumb) Nokia and buy prepaid SIMs. I also have a 3G data dongle that works in a few countries with prepaid data SIMs, although Wifi covers me well enough that I don't buy those SIMs as much anymore.
I've got a BlackBerry for exactly those reasons, it does email brilliantly and that's all I use it for plus the battery can last 5 days with my 2G usage. I have an indestructible Samsung feature phone for calls with again a long battery life and a Galaxy S3 for Web browsing that can be dead in less than a day on heavy usage/full brightness. I've brought all three to the US with me and have called a few people on Skype via wifi on the S3, I can receive incoming calls for free on the feature phone (thank you Three) and BlackBerry emails over the wifi. All of this is on PAYG/Prepaid.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 11:50 pm

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D257 Safari/9537.53)

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
My UK phone is a black iPhone 5 and it replaced my old white iPhone 4 which is now my US phone. They work in the same way and they are different colors so I don't mix them up. When my current UK phone is replaced, it will become my US phone.

It would drive me nuts having two phones which work in different ways.
I prefer different phones. I have a work iPhone 5 and my person phone is a Moto X. It allows me to get more or less any app. Also, well, as my name might imply, I like phones.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 1:46 am

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D257 Safari/9537.53)

Originally Posted by roastpuff
Why would it not? It's got a Lightning connector on it...?
The 5s, iPad Air, and iPad Mini Retina are quite picky about Apple authorized cables.
I have all three and that isn't my experience. I use compact retractable cables from Amazon all the time.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 2:47 am

Programs: GF Black
an iphone or a samsung galaxy is good always for countries who still use 3G networks or 4G. I tend to carry either one, with a regular non-smart phone (a battery saver!) like a cheap nokia or an old blackberry with no data enabled.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 3:11 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
I usually carry three phones when I travel. One iPhone 5s with my Chinese number, another iPhone 5s with my US number, and finally an HTC One with whatever local number I'm using.

Now I think I've found an excellent phone with dual SIM capabilities, so I only need two phones. I still carry an iPhone, but my other phones is now an Asus Zenfone 6.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by roastpuff
Why would it not? It's got a Lightning connector on it...?
I don't know...it works fine for my wife's 5 and iPad3 but when I try on my 5s and Air, will not charge.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by dtsm
I don't know...it works fine for my wife's 5 and iPad3 but when I try on my 5s and Air, will not charge.
Probably because the 5s and iPad Air are on certain version of iOS 7.x. I remember that there was an iOS update that killed some of the 3rd party cables.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 8:29 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Need
Probably because the 5s and iPad Air are on certain version of iOS 7.x. I remember that there was an iOS update that killed some of the 3rd party cables.
I think it was 7.1.1 because my wife's 5 worked well with several adapters before that update, but got finicky with them after (mostly defaulting to a slower charge time, but not working at all with some). I've given up on cheap cables (which I love, especially retractables) for her and gone with Amazon Basics cable for her iOS devices with Lightning connectors.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 9:01 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 2-Million Miler, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonours Diamond, Marriott Plat, EVA Gold
Originally Posted by dtsm
It's unfortunate this doesn't work for 5s or iPad Air...
Umm, I use this device with my iPhone 5 (not that different from a 5s) and an iPad Air. I'm curious as to why you say that. There is a Lightning adapter in the mix, if you missed that...

The whole reason I bought the referenced device is that at one time I had an Android phone needing the little USB and multiple Apple devices requiring both the old 30-pin and new Lightning connectors. You can't use them all at once, but it's still better than carrying multiple cables...
Old Aug 30, 2014, 9:16 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Sierra Kilo
Umm, I use this device with my iPhone 5 (not that different from a 5s) and an iPad Air. I'm curious as to why you say that. There is a Lightning adapter in the mix, if you missed that...

The whole reason I bought the referenced device is that at one time I had an Android phone needing the little USB and multiple Apple devices requiring both the old 30-pin and new Lightning connectors. You can't use them all at once, but it's still better than carrying multiple cables...
As I'd mentioned before, the 5s/5c, iPad Air, and iPad Mini Retina are quite picky about Apple authorized cables while the 5, iPad 3/4, and original iPad Mini will take pretty much anything with the right pin-outs. I have a lot of generic/cheap cables and adapters that work fine with my wife's iPhone 5 but either aren't recognized or reported as incompatible by her best friends' 5s and 5c devices.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 7:25 pm

As I'd mentioned before, the 5s/5c, iPad Air, and iPad Mini Retina are quite picky about Apple authorized cables while the 5, iPad 3/4, and original iPad Mini will take pretty much anything with the right pin-outs.
You are absolutely on the mark. I had a chat on-line with customer service at Monoprice.com re the same subject when 5s first came out. Initially monoprice confirmed none of their existing lightning usb cables would be guaranteed to work on the 5c/5s and iPad Air -- a few months I went back on-line and noted they had product certified to work properly.

Don't know the technical reasons but definitely sure the older multiple plugs no not work, unfortunately. We keep one of each in our cars for the Mrs. 5 and our androids. But for my 5s, require the newer cables.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 8:16 am

Programs: IHG RA; Avis First
I both have BlackBerry for work and personal. White Q10 and a Black Q10 just so I don't mix it up or if I end up having the same colour then I would put a different cover/skin on the phone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.