Wiki Posts
Search

Best method to view Slingbox remotely?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2014, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Best method to view Slingbox remotely?

Hey all,

I am taking a trip this weekend, and need access to my Slingboxes back home.

I have several methods to do so at my disposal, and I understand quite well how it works overall, but I am looking for some specifics:

For example, I got the Roku streaming stick thinking it would be perfect because of its diminutive size for travel. BUT, in experimenting with it today, I quickly learned it is essentially a pass-through device, and you must use a mobile device to send content from the sling to it. When you do, you cannot control the slingbox using the hardware remote that comes with the Roku stick.

I also have a WD Live TV Hub, and it also has the Sling client built into it, but it is a small box and a power supply. However, I do like that the physical remote with it is capable of direct control over the remote source connected to the Slingbox from your "broadcast" location.

I also have a SlingCatcher box I could dust off and use, but it isn't any smaller than the WD, and it is so old I am not sure it is compatible with the new 500s I have, etc.

I could also use my laptop, but I think the brand-new Sling app only works over WiFi, so I would have to use Sling's website, but again, no physical control over the remote device.

So, fellow Sling road warriors, what do you use and how do you do it?

Thanks in advance,

-Rob
Old Aug 26, 2014, 9:02 am

I've just been using my iPad and that works fine. Yes, its an expensive App store app but its a one shot deal and allows me to control enough of the home service. My iPad is a WIFI only device but hasn't been an issue at hotels as long as they have reasonable WIFI (not in price, cause none of them are reasonable but at least in bandwidth). I presume the android app is similar.

I've also used the WD device and that works passibly in a set location with good wifi but its much slower to do anything (change channels, see program guide, navigate program guide). I used it for a while at a house where I had no cable service and it got the job done but not nearly as effectively as a tablet.

I've installed an app through Chrome as well but best I can tell it really is just a shortcut to the sling site. Both the iPad version and the web version provide a program guide and a simplified channel changer plus a remote control that looks like the remote from my STB (in my case Cox). So I have both possibilities for control.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 9:27 am
uk1
Suspended

I have three slingbox devices over a couple of properties and when it works it's great but it is pretty hit and miss when away. All sorts of things disrupts the boxes including power blips etc. I've been thinking about remorte control power on and off switches to try and reset them. The Echostar HDS 600S has stopped working some time ago because it refuses to talk to the RC. I have two Slingbox Pro HDs which both have Humax recorders attatched. These both decide to give up - the main issue being the unilateral decision to forget the progrmmed remote controls rendering them unable to control attatched devices when away. My problems aren't uncommon when you read the forums.

However.

When away from base I use mostly an ipad into an hdmi cable and then into whatever TV is in the hotel. However - a tip. Before you buy the ipad app make sure your specific box is compatible with the app. Not all boxes are compatible with the ipad player app. Also there was a problem a while ago that the ipad player wouln't work on an ipad (absolutely true) but the iphone one did. They were both chargeable and a lot of cash for an app.

So before you do anything do a bit of forum research first is my tip.

Last edited by uk1; Aug 26, 2014 at 9:33 am
Old Aug 30, 2014, 5:55 am
Suspended

Those are one-time prices to purchase the hardware. There’s no subscription fee like you’ll find with TiVo or rental fees like you’ll pay for a high-end cable box. That’s important to remember when we get to some other costs associated with Slingbox later in the review.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.