Community
Wiki Posts
Search

iPhone Turn-By-Turn Navigation - Italy Trip - Avoiding Big Data Charges

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2014, 12:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by boltjames
My phone is locked and I don't want to go the same route although I understand, especially from your experience, how useful that can be.

What GPS app did you use on your iPhone? That is a lot of data based on what I am seeing here using either Apple maps or Google maps for navigation.

BJ
I used Google Maps.

A whole week, using about an hour a day of nav, used 1 gig.

I tried Apple Maps - no data issues - but there were too many errors/mistakes - borderline useless in Sicily. Literally took us the wrong way multiple times. Ended up giving up.

Google Maps > Apple Maps (and I'm a Mac whore )
Old Aug 16, 2014, 12:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I'd like to say Apple Maps are as good but especially overseas, that is not the case. You won't find the same hits when you search for particular hotels or parking garages or whatever.

Too bad, it would be useful to have Siri find some POI and find directions (by passing the destination info you spoke over to Apple Maps).

Most of the time I'm overseas, including in Italy, I'm using Google Maps.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pricesquire
I used Google Maps.

A whole week, using about an hour a day of nav, used 1 gig.

I tried Apple Maps - no data issues - but there were too many errors/mistakes - borderline useless in Sicily. Literally took us the wrong way multiple times. Ended up giving up.

Google Maps > Apple Maps (and I'm a Mac whore )
Thank you for responding.

Did you save the Google map for the area if you were in around Sicily as an off-line map? I am wondering if that would've kept the data usage down. Did you use the satellite map much? I'm trying to understand why the basic map with traffic and email turned off (assuming) would have led to such usage of data. I am not experiencing such data usage here in the United States traveling one hour a day using Google maps for a week.

BJ
Old Aug 16, 2014, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wco81
I'd like to say Apple Maps are as good but especially overseas, that is not the case. You won't find the same hits when you search for particular hotels or parking garages or whatever.

Too bad, it would be useful to have Siri find some POI and find directions (by passing the destination info you spoke over to Apple Maps).

Most of the time I'm overseas, including in Italy, I'm using Google Maps.
We are going to a remote location south of Palermo and I won't have the need for any points of interest. When I have used Apple maps on the iPhone to plot a course from The airport to our specific hotel it takes us there in a nice and straight manner in 45 minutes which is the same route I get from Google maps on my PC.

Seeing that I have both options along with some other GPS apps I have downloaded, I'm going to give Apple maps every chance to succeed in Italy. It's data usage is incredibly small and would easily fit within a 120 MB plan.

BJ
Old Aug 16, 2014, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Your figures are wrong. As I said, I was referring to iPhone usage and on the iPhone Apple maps now trumps Google maps 35 million to 6.

I own an iPhone, I don't care about stats for Android.

BJ
Fine. You're still ignoring Waze.

And I've tried using Apple Maps both in the US and overseas. Did it for the last time in 2013 where I asked it to find me a car rental place and it led me to the middle of a cornfield. I get they're improving it but its still nowhere near as good, especially in Europe.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by javabytes
Fine. You're still ignoring Waze.

And I've tried using Apple Maps both in the US and overseas. Did it for the last time in 2013 where I asked it to find me a car rental place and it led me to the middle of a cornfield. I get they're improving it but its still nowhere near as good, especially in Europe.
Not ignoring Waze, but does it work in Europe? Wouldn't it be a data pig with all the social aspects of traffic notification and tracking?

I've read posts in articles and other forums that Apple maps worked well in Italy, and since I'm not going to any large cities with labyrinth-like streets I think I'll do okay.

BJ
Old Aug 16, 2014, 2:51 pm

Not ignoring Waze, but does it work in Europe? Wouldn't it be a data pig with all the social aspects of traffic notification and
BJ
You are so far behind the curve -- see my earlier post (#10) that addressed both. Waze works overseas and uses very little data.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 5:53 pm
Suspended

When I get mobile data, I'm not only using it for maps. I get email, push notifications, etc.

I could turn that stuff off to stay within the tight limit of data.

But if I was that worried about data, I'd use a Garmin (pain to pack another device) or buy an offline GPS app.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 8:10 pm
Suspended

Thank you for responding.

Did you save the Google map for the area if you were in around Sicily as an off-line map? I am wondering if that would've kept the data usage down. Did you use the satellite map much? I'm trying to understand why the basic map with traffic and email turned off (assuming) would have led to such usage of data. I am not experiencing such data usage here in the United States traveling one hour a day using Google maps for a week.

BJ
I did not use any off-line map.

I don't think it would be useful in Sicily.

To be quite frank, Sicily is a third world country compared to most of Europe. The roads are in good shape, physically, but convenience ends there.

There are almost NO street signs. Like none. Outside of major cities (Palermo, Catania, Taormina, etc), zero street signs - if there is one, it's plastered onto the side of a building and you can't read it until you've missed it.

There are easy-to-read ROAD signs, but even those get confusing (think of coming up to a 5 road roundabout, and 3 of the 5 roads say 'PALERMO THIS WAY'...)

Even with 100% accurate and ideal mapping we'd still momentarily screw up at least a half dozen times a day. Not sure how off-line maps work, but I'm assuming they won't correct you if you go wrong.

As for what I kept on, data wise:

Safari
Email (push)
iMessage
Google maps
Chase Bank
Instagram
Facebook
Old Aug 16, 2014, 9:05 pm

I read the OP's comment about how SIM swapping is not an option because he has to be in touch with work. iMessage is telephone agonistic. Traditional text messages are a problem. You can get a temporary US number for texting abroad from Google Voice.

Call forwarding to your foreign SIM is child's play. We've talked about a number of solutions in other threads. I just took a second look at the Roamer App for iPhone (available in Android as well, but I didn't review it). They have reduced their forwarding rates, adding a VOIP module, and otherwise improved their game. I can beat their forwarding rates, but they are highly competitive.

Last edited by Dubai Stu; Aug 17, 2014 at 8:41 am
Old Aug 16, 2014, 9:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
I read the OP's comment about how SIM swapping is not an option because he has to be in touch with work. iMessage is telephone agonistic. Traditional text messages are a problem. You can get a temporary US number for texting abroad from Google Voice.

Call forwarding to your foreign SIM is not child's play. We've talked about a number of solutions in other threads. I just took a second look at the Roamer App for iPhone (available in Android as well, but I didn't review it). They have reduced their forwarding rates, adding a VOIP module, and otherwise improved their game. I can beat their forwarding rates, but they are highly competitive.
Perhaps a Mifi for data then.

My work allows us to do voice and SMS roaming internationally but not data.

So I used Mifi, though the battery life is poor so I kept it off a lot of times, when outside car where I would keep it plugged into the charger.

Now with iPad Mini Retina and Telecom Italia data bundles which allow tethering, I should be able to use data more of the time.

Also the T-mobile SIM with free international roaming is just fast enough for Google Maps. Can't stream video or load certain web sites easily but not bad in a pinch.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dtsm
You are so far behind the curve -- see my earlier post (#10) that addressed both. Waze works overseas and uses very little data.
I am not behind any curve. I've used Waze in the US and find it's UI is too cartoon-like and it's crowdsourced traffic information not much better than what I get in other apps in 2014.

Unless there's a significant reason to choose it over Apple maps or Google maps I don't see the point.

BJ
Old Aug 16, 2014, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pricesquire
I did not use any off-line map.

I don't think it would be useful in Sicily.

To be quite frank, Sicily is a third world country compared to most of Europe. The roads are in good shape, physically, but convenience ends there.

There are almost NO street signs. Like none. Outside of major cities (Palermo, Catania, Taormina, etc), zero street signs - if there is one, it's plastered onto the side of a building and you can't read it until you've missed it.

There are easy-to-read ROAD signs, but even those get confusing (think of coming up to a 5 road roundabout, and 3 of the 5 roads say 'PALERMO THIS WAY'...)

Even with 100% accurate and ideal mapping we'd still momentarily screw up at least a half dozen times a day. Not sure how off-line maps work, but I'm assuming they won't correct you if you go wrong.

As for what I kept on, data wise:

Safari
Email (push)
iMessage
Google maps
Chase Bank
Instagram
Facebook
Ah, that explains it. Thanks for posting back, I can now see how you could go through 1GB of data in a week.

BJ
Old Aug 16, 2014, 10:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dubai Stu

Call forwarding to your foreign SIM is not child's play. We've talked about a number of solutions in other threads. I just took a second look at the Roamer App for iPhone (available in Android as well, but I didn't review it). They have reduced their forwarding rates, adding a VOIP module, and otherwise improved their game. I can beat their forwarding rates, but they are highly competitive.
Thanks Stu.

While I could figure out a way to swap SIM's without much hassle, we are a large family and are renting two cars and my father-in-law is driving one of them. So while I'm learning about other options to guarantee we don't get hit with heavy data usage and thus high ATT roaming charges, my father-in-law is not that technically savvy and I need a simple iPhone solution for him moreso than myself.

To date all signs point to Apple maps as the answer as it's very low on data consumption and when I map our routes here in the US its showing me the proper turn-by-turn directions as confirmed by online maps like Google.

BJ
Old Aug 17, 2014, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dtsm
I am not behind any curve. I've used Waze in the US and find it's UI is too cartoon-like and it's crowdsourced traffic information not much better than what I get in other apps in 2014.

Unless there's a significant reason to choose it over Apple maps or Google maps I don't see the point.

BJ
Okay, so I tested Waze against Apple Maps today, identical route, Waze on the way out, Apple on the way back, 30 minutes, 19 miles, local streets and highway, the results:

Waze: 1.2MB
Apple: 0.4MB

No matter what turn-by-turn GPS app I test against it, Apple Maps comes up with the lowest data usage of any of 'em. Additionally, I find Apple Maps building detail, smooth scrolling, lag-free reaction, and 3D zoom/turn animations vastly superior to the rest.

Unless Apple Maps puts me in a corn field in Italy, I'm sticking with it.

BJ

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.