Search

Prepaid SIM - Switzerland

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2013, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Kettle| HH Pot
Prepaid SIM - Switzerland

Some data points:

- Got a Swisscom SIM for my iPhone 5 while traveling to Switzerland. 19 franc with 20 franc credit to buy the SIM card. 2 franc/day for unlimited data at 1Mbit/s. You can find this on the Swisscom website as PrePaid NATEL easy.

- Got a Vodafone SIM while in Italy, 15 euro with 10 euro credit. 10 euro for 1Gbit data, 500 minutes. This was a promo deal, can't find it on their website.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 4:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by EmptyKim
Some data points:

- Got a Swisscom SIM for my iPhone 5 while traveling to Switzerland. 19 franc with 20 franc credit to buy the SIM card. 2 franc/day for unlimited data at 1Mbit/s. You can find this on the Swisscom website as PrePaid NATEL easy.

- Got a Vodafone SIM while in Italy, 15 euro with 10 euro credit. 10 euro for 1Gbit data, 500 minutes. This was a promo deal, can't find it on their website.
I used the Swisscom Natel SIM for a week. I was going to get the BeFree, which was 4 CHF per day for "unlimited" but was talked into the Easy by the girl at the shop because it was 2 CHF per day.

1 Mbps is really show, at least for using on a Mifi to feed your laptop and multiple other devices. I had them change it to BeFree, which didn't have speed limits.

Even at that, the speed and reception was pretty poor. My experiences with TIM in Italy was much better speed, coverage, cheaper.

I'd go with TIM or Wind before Vodaphone in Italy, at least strictly for data. Maybe if you need voice, there are better values.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 3:52 pm

I stopped by the Swisscom store by the Zurich HB and they gave me a Natel Easy sim for free with the 20 CHF credit. I'm only going to be here for 6 days so the credit should last long enough for use everyday.

I ran a speedtest and almost always get the advertised 1mbps download and 0.5mbps upload. It's fast enough for email and www, but a little frustrating for video and photos.

My work colleagues all use my connection using the personal hotspot feature. The most I could get were 5 on at once.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 3:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Buying a Prepaid SIM card for Switzerland

I made the mistake of buying a SIM card when I arrived in Europe for a one week trip last summer. I had gone to Berlin. I want to buy the prepaid SIM before I leave for our trip.

This time, we'll be based in Geneva for a week in May and want to get a prepaid SIM card BEFORE I leave so I don't waste time looking to buy a SIM card when we arrive and overpaying for it. I've been to Geneva a few times and don't remember stores like Saturn (a big-box German electronics store) in Geneva.

The prepaid SIM can be a micro SIM (for an iPhone 5S) or a regular sized one (for a Motorola Droid 2). I need at least 2 GB of data and some voice minutes for calls.

Please advise. Thanks.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd suggest choosing the carrier you want and then buying a SIM on eBay. Or, check out the pan-international prepaid SIM thread and select one that works in Switzerland.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I'd suggest choosing the carrier you want and then buying a SIM on eBay. Or, check out the pan-international prepaid SIM thread and select one that works in Switzerland.
Swisscom and Orange both offer very attractive prepaid voice and/or data plans. And at least at zurich airport, kiosks at the terminal. Assume same available in geneva airport.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Can I use SIM for my iPhone? When I fly to Switzerland to see my brother. How I can connecting SIM card from my iPhone?
Old Jul 14, 2014, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by N830MH
Can I use SIM for my iPhone? When I fly to Switzerland to see my brother. How I can connecting SIM card from my iPhone?
If the iPhone is unlocked, not a problem. What model iPhone, who is your carrier?

As example, iPhone 5s from Verizon is factory unlocked. TMO sell them unlocked conditional on a)full payment; b) 45-90 waiting period. Not sure about AT&T. Older models require manual unlock, either via internet third party or the provider.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by dtsm
If the iPhone is unlocked, not a problem. What model iPhone, who is your carrier?

As example, iPhone 5s from Verizon is factory unlocked. TMO sell them unlocked conditional on a)full payment; b) 45-90 waiting period. Not sure about AT&T. Older models require manual unlock, either via internet third party or the provider.
Actually, I have iPhone 4. I have unlimited calls & texts messaging. It was Sprint that I bought a new iPhone by last year.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by N830MH
Actually, I have iPhone 4. I have unlimited calls & texts messaging. It was Sprint that I bought a new iPhone by last year.
4 or 4s. I don't believe Sprint 4 model even has sim card holder so you're out of luck, sorry!

You can either pick up second used unlocked phone on-line [CL, eBay, amazon.com] or rent one. If you buy, beware of bad IMEI's. CL/eBay often have 'stolen' phones that won't activate properly. Maybe a tekkie friend can help you - PM if you need more help.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 8:40 am
Suspended

Please note all Simcard in CH have to be registered with personal ID Card or Passport.
So do never sell any Simcard to protect your privacy!
Old Jul 18, 2014, 4:59 pm

Using my unlocked iPhone in Switzerland

Hi, I late Sep I have a 2 week business trip to Switzerland. I have an unlocked iPhone 5 on the (currently on the US ATT network). i wanted to know if it's better to purchase the international Sim card from OneSimCard online from home (US) and bring with me to Switzerland or if its cheaper to get the Sim card plus voice/text/data package from Swisscom at Zurich Airport when I get there. Any advice?

Thanks, Mike
Old Jul 18, 2014, 6:14 pm
Suspended

do you need more that data service?
for example swisscom:
24h Speed+ (5GB) - 5FR
in german: https://www.swisscom.ch/de/privatkun...-aufladen.html

EDIT: http://www.swisscom.ch/en/residentia...asy-smart.html
Price for data transmision 2.-/day
Old Jul 18, 2014, 8:54 pm

I'd probably get it at ZRH. That way, if you have any questions, you'll be able to ask them in person. It'll be a very easy process and there are a few different carriers in the main shopping area of the airport, if you want to comparison shop.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by FLYMSY
I'd probably get it at ZRH. That way, if you have any questions, you'll be able to ask them in person. It'll be a very easy process and there are a few different carriers in the main shopping area of the airport, if you want to comparison shop.
^+1

There are two kiosks that I shopped at the airport upon arrival my only visit to Zurich in 2012. One was the Swisscom store, the other Orange [?]. Swisscom store set me up in minutes. More details on prepaid cards here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...itzerland.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.