Wiki Posts
Search

Put yourself in WISluggo's Shoes Regarding Headphones

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2014, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
Put yourself in WISluggo's Shoes Regarding Headphones

I am looking to buy a pair of noise canceling headphones; this would be my first pair. I am a casual air traveler, but I do have long trips coming up to Japan, Australia, China, Bali, and Ireland (not all on the same trip). I don't take mass transit to work, so the only time I would use these would be on the plane.

Here are my options:

Bose QC15: I know this is the default answer, and can be had at Best Buy for $269.

Beats Studio: Not as good noise cancelation, no batteries (will charge via USB). Can be had a best buy for $242

Beats Executive: Older technology, worst noise cancelation but only $169

So, which would you pick and why?
Old Jul 14, 2014, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Given the exclusive choice of those three, the Beats Studio, based on what I've read about sound quality among the three.

But what I'd actually buy (or, what I have always bought) were good in-ear buds - currently VSonic GR07, after a long history of Bose and Etymotic. They are about the same price, about 1/100th the weight, 1/100th the size, and the passive noise-blocking is just as effective on a plane. And more effective everywhere else, where the NC isn't tuned to the band of airplane engine roar.

But if you have a reason for over-the-ear 'phones - ear irritation, etc. - the Beats are better, IMHO.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPRich

But if you have a reason for over-the-ear 'phones - ear irritation, etc. - the Beats are better, IMHO.
If you don't want noise cancellation, and love bass, then the Beats are decent, but you can't beat the quality and active noise cancellation of the Bose. Plus, if anything ever happens to them, Bose will make it right, unlike Beats who nowadays just don't seem to care.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Plus, I just can't take seriously anyone over the age of 18 who is wearing Beats headphones.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 11:32 pm

Given the exclusive choice of those three, the Beats Studio, based on what I've read about sound quality among the three.

But what I'd actually buy (or, what I have always bought) were good in-ear buds - currently VSonic GR07, after a long history of Bose and Etymotic. They are about the same price, about 1/100th the weight, 1/100th the size, and the passive noise-blocking is just as effective on a plane. And more effective everywhere else, where the NC isn't tuned to the band of airplane engine roar.

There are a handful of in-ear buds with active noise cancellation. With a good fit, you get potentially better total cancellation. Plus, way easier to travel with.

The only time I use the over the ear active noise canceling headphones I have is over ear plugs when I have both carry-on space, and want the most noise cancellation. But I haven't done this combo in ~2 years.

If travel use is a small share of the total use they'll get, I'd recommend good passive in ear buds. (Better fit and audio quality for nearly as good blocking). For travel specific use, I'd go active in ear buds.
For a strong over the ear preference, I'd look for cheaper over the ear headphones. I'm guessing the difference in noise cancelling technology is small, and there are plenty of choices <$100.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by oshelef
There are a handful of in-ear buds with active noise cancellation. With a good fit, you get potentially better total cancellation. Plus, way easier to travel with.

The only time I use the over the ear active noise canceling headphones I have is over ear plugs when I have both carry-on space, and want the most noise cancellation. But I haven't done this combo in ~2 years.
Links/names? I've don't think I've ever seen in-ear active. I'm a bit surprised they can get the mic and processing circuits that small, though I guess circuit miniaturization continues to progress.

I also had a pair of PlaneQuiet 'phones that I slipped over my in-ear buds years ago, but the incremental NC just wasn't worth the bulk. I do have a set of full 33NRR muffs that I put over my buds when cutting the grass - it makes a difference. IME, I would bet the 33NRR 'phones make it quieter than the Bose with active NC. The lack of physical insulation offsets the NC. But the 33 muffs even bigger and I'd never bring them on a flight.

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Plus, I just can't take seriously anyone over the age of 18 who is wearing Beats headphones.
I guess I've reached the age where I'll pick what's best and don't care what other people think.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 4:15 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
Links/names? I've don't think I've ever seen in-ear active. I'm a bit surprised they can get the mic and processing circuits that small, though I guess circuit miniaturization continues to progress.

I also had a pair of PlaneQuiet 'phones that I slipped over my in-ear buds years ago, but the incremental NC just wasn't worth the bulk. I do have a set of full 33NRR muffs that I put over my buds when cutting the grass - it makes a difference. IME, I would bet the 33NRR 'phones make it quieter than the Bose with active NC. The lack of physical insulation offsets the NC. But the 33 muffs even bigger and I'd never bring them on a flight.
BOSE's QC 20 and Audio Technica's ATH-ANC33iS to name a few(think Sony/Panasonic make one too).
Old Jul 18, 2014, 10:48 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Pretty big thread on QC20's (thread says headphones but they are earbuds)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...earphones.html

Have the QC20 (noise canceling and microphone) - they are good. Also own AudioTechnica ANC23 (no mike) and ANC33 (mike)

I prefer them to headphones as they:

1) are smaller/easier to pack and travel with
2) sleeping/laying down with them is more comfortable than with headphones
3) headphones make my ears sweat

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.