Wiki Posts
Search

Want a cheap/small android just for travel

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2014, 4:12 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Just got the phone today. It's so grippy! My main phone is the HTC One (M7) and it's literally the slipperiest thing ever. I will post an update/mini review if I remember to after my upcoming trip.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 5:45 pm

Programs: MR Platinum
I have a Blu Vivo 4.3 and support from Blu was non-existent. So while the phone itself is good quality and reasonably priced, I would recommend getting a Moto E. The way Motorola priced the Moto G LTE and Moto E is very compelling.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by agp423
Just got the phone today. It's so grippy! My main phone is the HTC One (M7) and it's literally the slipperiest thing ever. I will post an update/mini review if I remember to after my upcoming trip.
What make & model did you get?
Old Jul 3, 2014, 3:07 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
I got the Moto E with global GSM, 4GB, in black.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 3:36 pm

Best unlocked Android in the US

I am fairly ignorant about phones and wonder if someone can give me a head up about buying an inexpensive, unlocked Android phone (with a reasonable display). I will be using this mostly outside the US and will mostly have local SIMs for the places I go to.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 4:51 pm

Which freq. do you need?

http://www.gsmarena.com/search.php3
Old Oct 13, 2014, 6:34 am

I got the Moto G (Global GSM, first gen) a few months ago just for travel. It's been incredibly useful in Europe. Just one note: If you're in the US and looking to buy new, you might find it's cheaper to buy directly from Motorola. When I was shopping for my new phone, I noticed that Amazon was charging an extra $30 for the same (new) Moto G model.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 7:15 am
Suspended

Bought the Moto E, and the reviews/pricing seems almost too good to be true. Cost was a no-brainer.

Similarly related (trying to stay on topic here): I already have an unlocked iPhone 5.

Can someone explain the benefits of carrying a second phone for international travel?

Last edited by pricesquire; Oct 13, 2014 at 9:37 am
Old Oct 13, 2014, 7:47 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by pricesquire
Looking into the Moto E, and the reviews/pricing seems almost too good to be true.

<snip>

Also: nano-SIM or regular SIM?

<snip>
The only difference between SIM cards is the amount of plastic surrounding the chip. Nano SIMs have the bare minimum: there's a little plastic behind the chip and just a bit beyond its edges. The larger SIM that's common is called a micro SIM. Micro SIMs can easily be cut down to nano size, though they may also require a little sanding to get down to the specified thinness.

So, when choosing a SIM, you should try to get the one your phone requires. If you can't get that size, you can buy a very inexpensive SIM punch kit like this one.

You can also adapt a nano SIM back up to micro size, but that's a somewhat less reliable option: if the SIM slips out of the adapter while inside the phone, it can be quite a challenge to extract the pieces.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by ajGoes
You can also adapt a nano SIM back up to micro size, but that's a somewhat less reliable option: if the SIM slips out of the adapter while inside the phone, it can be quite a challenge to extract the pieces.
+1 I bent the pins in a sim tray on a cheap Lumia with a cheap sim adapter. It might be obvious but bears repeating- don't put in the adapter into slot without the sim as the adapter's edges will get caught on the pins. If you do, slide a shim (cut takeout plastic container, collar stay, etc) and gently remove the adapter. Now I have several of these adapters which fit factory cut nano sim spec http://microsim-shop.com/mini-uicc-sim-adapter.html They don't fit the custom punch cut sims well.

Why travel with two phones:
Two phones on different OS can be useful for travel. I prefer Android apn settings vs iOS profiles, Android Google Maps, and Google translate (+ translate with Chrome integration) for travel. KitKat still doesn't support connecting to ad-hoc wifi networks while iOS does. Data only sims, like those in Japan, also show carrier signal strength a bit differently which can eat battery.

It is also nice to carry an inexpensive phone without sensitive personal information (certain e-mail accounts, bill pay/financial apps) and not worry about using it on the street. Walking about with a new flagship phone in hand with an absentminded air or using it with selfie stick is quite attractive to certain types of thieves. I can only imagine what agile thieves with longer arms and legs think.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 12:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by freecia
+1 I bent the pins in a sim tray on a cheap Lumia with a cheap sim adapter. It might be obvious but bears repeating- don't put in the adapter into slot without the sim as the adapter's edges will get caught on the pins. If you do, slide a shim (cut takeout plastic container, collar stay, etc) and gently remove the adapter. Now I have several of these adapters which fit factory cut nano sim spec http://microsim-shop.com/mini-uicc-sim-adapter.html They don't fit the custom punch cut sims well.

Why travel with two phones:
Two phones on different OS can be useful for travel. I prefer Android apn settings vs iOS profiles, Android Google Maps, and Google translate (+ translate with Chrome integration) for travel. KitKat still doesn't support connecting to ad-hoc wifi networks while iOS does. Data only sims, like those in Japan, also show carrier signal strength a bit differently which can eat battery.

It is also nice to carry an inexpensive phone without sensitive personal information (certain e-mail accounts, bill pay/financial apps) and not worry about using it on the street. Walking about with a new flagship phone in hand with an absentminded air or using it with selfie stick is quite attractive to certain types of thieves. I can only imagine what agile thieves with longer arms and legs think.
Thanks for the info Re: 2 phones.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 11:34 am
Suspended

Let me start by saying: I feel like an idiot.

I have no idea where the SIM goes in this thing (the Moto E).

I'm 99% sure it goes under the back cover, but any tips on how to get the back cover off without breaking something?

Never had this hard a time finding a SIM spot, let alone taking the back off a phone...
Old Oct 21, 2014, 11:40 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Just above the micro-SD slot under the back cover.

Old Oct 21, 2014, 11:57 am
Suspended

Thank you IsleofMan!!!

This method helped a lot, albeit this was still the hardest SIM card access I've ever experienced. It feels like I almost broke the back cover!
Old Oct 22, 2014, 4:46 am

Is it just me, or is the SIM card access the least user-friendly thing about this cell phone line? That wouldn't be an argument not to get it, of course -- just a reason to watch a Youtube video of the process before trying to open it up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.