Search

Thinking about leaving Android

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2014, 7:40 am
NPF
Original Poster

Programs: AA / AV
Originally Posted by ajGoes
My Android 4.4.2 People app is the same as yours. I think the designers' thought is that People is where you go for complete contact information; you go to the dialer when you want to make a call. If you follow that path you'll find it doesn't matter how your contacts display in People: only contacts with phone numbers display when you search for a contact within the dialer.
Thanks for pointing it to me; in my frustration I was overlooking this. I will settle (for now, absent better options) for it, while I look at the Ubuntu viability suggested by gfunkdave.
Old May 8, 2014, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by NPF
My Android ver is 4.4.2

Trying to manage the contacts list, the options are as follows:

People => Me => Contacts to Display => Customize => Define Custom View

and then it lists, as the only options, my accounts: Skype, e-mail, Google+ (which I didn't activate, but they list it anyway).

My only choices are to include or exclude each account as a whole, except on the e-mail accounts, where there is option to select My Contacts (Current selected), Starred, Friends, Family, CoWorkers, All Others. No option to select Phones only.

(This is a Motorola Phone, sold while Motorola was a Google company; so I believe this is stock Android - no Motorola customizations)
I think you may have gone down the wrong menu path; unless it is really missing on your OS version. My "Only contacts with phones" option is not under "Contacts to Display" path. It is actually under "Settings" right below "Contacts to Display". The first box under "Settings" inside "Contacts App" is "Only contacts with phones" check box.
Old May 8, 2014, 8:14 am

Programs: UA, BA Avios, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by NPF
Thanks for pointing it to me; in my frustration I was overlooking this. I will settle (for now, absent better options) for it, while I look at the Ubuntu viability suggested by gfunkdave.
Did you try Go Contacts Pro as I linked to earlier?

Also, don't hold your breath for the Ubuntu for Android project it seems to be on hold: http://www.androidauthority.com/ubun...-limbo-374454/
Old May 8, 2014, 9:05 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Need
I think you may have gone down the wrong menu path; unless it is really missing on your OS version. My "Only contacts with phones" option is not under "Contacts to Display" path. It is actually under "Settings" right below "Contacts to Display". The first box under "Settings" inside "Contacts App" is "Only contacts with phones" check box.
That menu option is not available in my People app. My Android version is 4.4, not 4.4.2 as I mistakenly posted earlier. Like OP, my phone is a Motorola. Although I understand it's mostly vanilla Android, there could be some differences.

Here's a screenshot showing the Settings menu:

I think the question is moot, though. The solution is to quit using the People app and just look up contacts from within the dialer.
Old May 8, 2014, 4:09 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Delta Silver
Originally Posted by NPF
tai4de2, your posts have been very informative. Thank you!
If you have specific questions about the new version of Windows Phone coming out in a few months, let me know. I've been running it for several weeks, and am very impressed with the new features that come with it.
Old May 8, 2014, 4:18 pm
NPF
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eyeballer
Did you try Go Contacts Pro as I linked to earlier?

Also, don't hold your breath for the Ubuntu for Android project it seems to be on hold: http://www.androidauthority.com/ubun...-limbo-374454/
Not yet (Go Contacts Pro), but it is in my shortlist.

Sad to know about the abandonment of the Ubuntu project.

I really would like to have a real computer in a handheld device (phablet-like), with phone capability. It is now in the realm of the possible (at least in terms of hardware): just a few years ago we had netbooks running Windows XP with less computing power (CPU + RAM) than the current generation of smartphones. Why are today's smartphones OSes so primitive/restricted?
Old May 8, 2014, 4:27 pm
NPF
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rybob1
If you have specific questions about the new version of Windows Phone coming out in a few months, let me know. I've been running it for several weeks, and am very impressed with the new features that come with it.
Thanks, rybob. Could you point me to some literature?

Until three months ago I was a cell phone (only) user; my current smartphone (Moto G) was an attempt to use a middle of the road, not too expensive smartphone to "feel the water". You can rightly deduce that I was not overwhelmed; and I believe the problem is the software, not the hardware capabilities (see my previous post).
Old May 8, 2014, 4:56 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Delta Silver
From Microsoft's own site:
http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/features-8-1

For additional reading from some of the fan boy blogs, that typically have good/accurate information (note there are 5 pages):
http://www.wpcentral.com/windows-phone-81-review

I'd start there anyways. One piece of advice, if you do go the Windows Phone route over Android, get a Nokia, and probably something like the 920, 930, 1020 or if you really want a big screen 1520. The Icon on Verizon I hear has great reviews, and the 925 is solid on T-Mobile & AT&T. Nokia (now Microsoft), has a very strong track record of updating their phones, something that can't be said for Samsung and HTC. I've received at least 4 updates on my Lumia 1520 so far. Nokia also does a lot with extending the capabilities of the phone. Things such as the glance screen and the call blocking capabilities.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.