Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thinking about leaving Android

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2014, 8:40 pm

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by NPF
Apparently, all of you that are saying that this is trivial to do have older versions of Android.
Just tried this on my HTC One M8 (so, definitely running Android 4.4). The first option upon navigating to People > Settings is a toggle to "Filter Contacts" which lets you elect to only show contacts with phone numbers.

It is indeed trivial.
Old May 6, 2014, 11:17 pm

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Windows Phone doesn't do any of the "contacts fishing" you described.

As for the contacts themselves, you pick which accounts (email, Facebook, etc) show up in your contacts list, whether to filter out contacts w/o phone numbers, and whether to sort/display first/last or last/first.

And that's about all the options there are for contacts. Some folks coming from Android may find the lack of options problematic but I've become a fan of the streamlined approach that eliminates the need to explore every nook and cranny of options menus to get things set up "just so". That's not to say that WP is dumbed down, it's just designed differently from Android, with an emphasis on different things.

On WP you can avoid updates if you want to, but so far you pretty much never want to do that.

The difference in size of the app stores can be an issue -- depending on what you want to do. What apps do you use most?
Old May 7, 2014, 5:11 am
NPF
Original Poster

Programs: AA / AV
Originally Posted by Need
Hmmm maybe this is something new in 4.4. I am still in 4.3 with my Galaxy Note II. I don't know.. 4.4 sounds bad.. LOL. It seems strange that it would take out all the filtering options. I would go to androidcentral or xda forums for your phone and ask someone there to see if they could help you on the contact (or People) thingy.

The worst is that 4.4 is bad and you just have to root it and put on 4.3 or something earlier.
Originally Posted by SQ421
Just tried this on my HTC One M8 (so, definitely running Android 4.4). The first option upon navigating to People > Settings is a toggle to "Filter Contacts" which lets you elect to only show contacts with phone numbers.

It is indeed trivial. (Thank you for being so condescendent . It is, indeed. On your phone/android version.)
My Android ver is 4.4.2

Trying to manage the contacts list, the options are as follows:

People => Me => Contacts to Display => Customize => Define Custom View

and then it lists, as the only options, my accounts: Skype, e-mail, Google+ (which I didn't activate, but they list it anyway).

My only choices are to include or exclude each account as a whole, except on the e-mail accounts, where there is option to select My Contacts (Current selected), Starred, Friends, Family, CoWorkers, All Others. No option to select Phones only.

(This is a Motorola Phone, sold while Motorola was a Google company; so I believe this is stock Android - no Motorola customizations)
Old May 7, 2014, 5:36 am
NPF
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tai4de2
Windows Phone doesn't do any of the "contacts fishing" you described.

As for the contacts themselves, you pick which accounts (email, Facebook, etc) show up in your contacts list, whether to filter out contacts w/o phone numbers, and whether to sort/display first/last or last/first.

And that's about all the options there are for contacts. Some folks coming from Android may find the lack of options problematic but I've become a fan of the streamlined approach that eliminates the need to explore every nook and cranny of options menus to get things set up "just so". That's not to say that WP is dumbed down, it's just designed differently from Android, with an emphasis on different things.

On WP you can avoid updates if you want to, but so far you pretty much never want to do that.

The difference in size of the app stores can be an issue -- depending on what you want to do. What apps do you use most?
Thanks, tai4de2. I'm used to fully customize all computing environments I use, which is mainly Windows based, to the ways that best fits my needs/workflow; so I really dislike when I was forced to work otherwise than my way. I know that Windows Phone has a much smaller selection base of apps but this is not an absolute impediment to me as I'm open to doing things through a browser if necessary.

I don't use Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter or other social networks, send and receive few text messages, find checking e-mail on the phone a missed blessing (and usually don't reply or send e-mail on the phone).

I use it mostly for browsing, Skype, phone calls , VLC (video watching), Cool Reader (e-book reader), Google Maps, also have some apps such as AA and one for my Bank, which are nice to have on the phone but rarely used.

Don't know if a Windows Phone environment would have these apps, but the make or break thing to me would be how customizable it is. Guess I would only know for sure after having some hands on time on it, for sure, but what I'm trying to do asking here is how Windows Phone compares vis-a-vis Windows OS in terms of customizability: Windows Phone is Windows only in name or is it comparable to a real OS, with lots of customizable options?

- - -

As an aside, are there other options beyond Android, Windows Phone and iOS?
Are there any phones with a Linux-based OS?
Old May 7, 2014, 6:55 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by NPF
Yup. Android is a flavor of Linux.
Old May 7, 2014, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by NPF
My Android ver is 4.4.2

Trying to manage the contacts list, the options are as follows:

People => Me => Contacts to Display => Customize => Define Custom View

and then it lists, as the only options, my accounts: Skype, e-mail, Google+ (which I didn't activate, but they list it anyway).

My only choices are to include or exclude each account as a whole, except on the e-mail accounts, where there is option to select My Contacts (Current selected), Starred, Friends, Family, CoWorkers, All Others. No option to select Phones only.

(This is a Motorola Phone, sold while Motorola was a Google company; so I believe this is stock Android - no Motorola customizations)
My Android 4.4.2 People app is the same as yours. I think the designers' thought is that People is where you go for complete contact information; you go to the dialer when you want to make a call. If you follow that path you'll find it doesn't matter how your contacts display in People: only contacts with phone numbers display when you search for a contact within the dialer.
Old May 7, 2014, 7:09 am

Programs: UA, BA Avios, AMEX Plat
Personally I like the new dialer that searches everything. I have a Nexus 5 running 4.4.2 - which should closely match your motorola phone experience. HTC tends to include their versions of certain apps so you can't always compare. However the beauty of Android is if you don't like the "stock" way of doing things you can use a 3rd party app to replace almost any function.

Go Contacts Pro (free) can do what you need: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....jiubang.gopim
Old May 7, 2014, 7:16 am
NPF
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ajGoes
Yup. Android is a flavor of Linux.
As is iOS. But it is not fully customizable.
Old May 7, 2014, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by NPF
As is iOS. But it is not fully customizable.
No it isn't. It's based on the BSD fork of UNIX.
Old May 7, 2014, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NPF
As an aside, are there other options beyond Android, Windows Phone and iOS?
Ubuntu is theoretically capable of running a phone - the new version of Ubuntu is the first to support it.
Old May 7, 2014, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by ajGoes
That would bug me, too. That's why I configure my Android apps not to notify me, except of course for those notifications which I find worthwhile.
I agree, except many apps (specifically, games) do not give you an option to disable notifications in their settings. You have to go into Application Manager page to disable them.
Old May 7, 2014, 11:03 pm

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by NPF
Windows Phone is Windows only in name or is it comparable to a real OS, with lots of customizable options?
Windows Phone is not a palm-sized incarnation of desktop Windows. It is not designed to be heavily customizable in the same sense that desktop Windows is open and customizable. I used to be more of the "customize everything" type but now that I am used to WP when I have to use Android I find exploring lots of menu nooks and crannies in order to tweak everything to be a tiresome PITA. This is of course entirely subjective and personal. That all applies to the built-in experiences; apps can do what they want just like on Android, and some offer more exhaustive configuration options than others.

Some of the apps you mention exist on Windows Phone: Skype, AA, maps (native maps are from Nokia but several excellent Google Maps clients exist), ... your bank may or may not have an app. There are media players and e-book readers but I am less familiar with specifics there. You can check on http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/overview.
Old May 8, 2014, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Interesting discussion. I recently very nearly ditched my iPhone for an Android, because there's a lot I don't like about Apple. But the seemless integration of Contacts and Calendars with Outlook was what persuaded me to stay with iPhone. Reading this, I'm pleased with the decision.
Old May 8, 2014, 7:35 am
NPF
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tai4de2
Windows Phone is not a palm-sized incarnation of desktop Windows. It is not designed to be heavily customizable in the same sense that desktop Windows is open and customizable. I used to be more of the "customize everything" type but now that I am used to WP when I have to use Android I find exploring lots of menu nooks and crannies in order to tweak everything to be a tiresome PITA. This is of course entirely subjective and personal. That all applies to the built-in experiences; apps can do what they want just like on Android, and some offer more exhaustive configuration options than others.

Some of the apps you mention exist on Windows Phone: Skype, AA, maps (native maps are from Nokia but several excellent Google Maps clients exist), ... your bank may or may not have an app. There are media players and e-book readers but I am less familiar with specifics there. You can check on http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/overview.
tai4de2, your posts have been very informative. Thank you!
Old May 8, 2014, 7:36 am
NPF
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Ubuntu is theoretically capable of running a phone - the new version of Ubuntu is the first to support it.
Thanks, I will take a look at it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.