Wiki Posts
Search

iPhone issue: photo storage?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2014, 6:28 am
Suspended
Original Poster

iPhone issue: photo storage?

On a recent trip to Romania, I was taking some photos, and my camera literally went black and displayed the message (paragraphing): "you don't have enough storage to take another photo, please check usage settings."

Because I didn't want any issues, I bought $20 worth of iCloud storage and hoped for the best.

Anyway, I get home to realize I have zero music on my phone (intentional) and only 1.5k pictures.

I have a 16 gig iPhone.

There was a time when I had double the amount of pictures and music.

To complicate things, when I remove my pictures from my phone and sync w/ iTunes, iTunes shows I'm still using 2.82 gigs + 1,224 photos on my iPhone.

Never had storage issues before, and never had discrepancies syncing w/ iTunes.

What gives? Anyone experience this?
Old Apr 21, 2014, 1:17 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Update (if anyone cares): ended up resetting my phone to factory settings. About to cancel extra $20 in iCloud storage. All is well!
Old Apr 21, 2014, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is confusing. You used to have 3000 photos but only have 1500 now? You now have zero music but say you used to have double that amount?

By resetting to factory and cancelling your iCloud plan, you've deleted everything that was stored and not synced to your computer.

Glad it worked out for you.

Dave
Old Apr 21, 2014, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
This is confusing. You used to have 3000 photos but only have 1500 now? You now have zero music but say you used to have double that amount?

By resetting to factory and cancelling your iCloud plan, you've deleted everything that was stored and not synced to your computer.

Glad it worked out for you.

Dave
It sounds like he still has his standard allocation of iCloud storage, but cancelled the additional storage he purchased. Assuming he didn't actually need the additional storage, he should be fine.

That is odd, but glad it worked out in the end!
Old Apr 21, 2014, 5:40 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Sorry for the confusion.

Have the standard iCloud storage. Bought a $20 extra.

Cancelled the $20 extra.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 6:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
I'm still confused about whether you ran out of iCloud storage space or phone storage space. Running out of iCloud space doesn't stop you from taking more pictures. The message referred to above sounds more like you ran out of space on the phone itself, and the problem was "solved" by wiping everything (and therefore losing anything you didn't have backed up). But glad it worked out for you
Old Apr 22, 2014, 3:45 pm

was it the photo stream?

-David
Old Apr 22, 2014, 5:52 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by star_world
I'm still confused about whether you ran out of iCloud storage space or phone storage space. Running out of iCloud space doesn't stop you from taking more pictures. The message referred to above sounds more like you ran out of space on the phone itself, and the problem was "solved" by wiping everything (and therefore losing anything you didn't have backed up). But glad it worked out for you
I'm confused as well.

The error message on my screen led me to believe it was an iCloud issue (because when I clicked "OK" to the "You should modify your settings" prompt, it took me to iCloud storage).

But...

1) I didn't have Photo Streaming on...

2) I didn't have that much stuff on my phone...

3) Had zero music...

The whole thing is confusing. Now, my wife's phone is experiencing the issue, too.

The funny thing is I don't really even use iCloud!
Old Apr 22, 2014, 7:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by pricesquire
I'm confused as well.

The error message on my screen led me to believe it was an iCloud issue (because when I clicked "OK" to the "You should modify your settings" prompt, it took me to iCloud storage).
Check these two areas:

- Settings / General / Usage: The at the very top it should say "STORAGE" and then the capacity free / used. What are these two numbers?

- Settings / iCloud / Storage & Backup: What does it say under "Total Storage" and "Available"?

If the first area shows very little capacity free, this is the actual storage on your phone. You can also see more details on that same page about which apps / functions are using this capacity.

If the second area shows very little capacity free, this is your iCloud storage space, which quickly fills up with phone backups. You may need to delete your backup and create a new one to get it back down to a manageable size.

Happy to help further if I can!
Old Apr 22, 2014, 8:01 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by star_world
Check these two areas:

- Settings / General / Usage: The at the very top it should say "STORAGE" and then the capacity free / used. What are these two numbers?

- Settings / iCloud / Storage & Backup: What does it say under "Total Storage" and "Available"?

If the first area shows very little capacity free, this is the actual storage on your phone. You can also see more details on that same page about which apps / functions are using this capacity.

If the second area shows very little capacity free, this is your iCloud storage space, which quickly fills up with phone backups. You may need to delete your backup and create a new one to get it back down to a manageable size.

Happy to help further if I can!
Thanks for the help! But a little too late

I factory reset my iPhone yesterday. Problem solved!
Old Apr 22, 2014, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've heard of the system getting confused and losing track of space. In the PC world we have chkdsk and scandisk to deal with such matters, in the Apple world such things are generally not so accessible.

While I don't know that this was the culprit I wouldn't be surprised--and when you did the reset it wiped the storage and thus got rid of the bogus allocation.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 7:34 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
I've heard of the system getting confused and losing track of space. In the PC world we have chkdsk and scandisk to deal with such matters, in the Apple world such things are generally not so accessible.

While I don't know that this was the culprit I wouldn't be surprised--and when you did the reset it wiped the storage and thus got rid of the bogus allocation.
Bogus allocation sounds about right. After the wipe out, I put on 1k in music and 3k in pictures....and I'm using 1/4 of the space I was pre wipe out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.