Reload this Page >

Goodbye Windows XP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Goodbye Windows XP

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2014, 7:22 pm

If hackers were opportunistic, they would double down on finding new vulnerabilities in XP. If MS truly plans no future patches, this would provide a tempting window to get inside some computers and setup shop
Old Apr 8, 2014, 8:24 pm

Home: Upgraded;
Work: Panasonic Toughbook: Not enough capacity for 7/8.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes
Today marks the end of the road for the 12 year old OS. Yet by most accounts it still has triple the market share of Windows 8/8.1.

Who's still using XP, and do you have any plans to upgrade to Vista/7/8?
I use a Mac. But I used to run an XP vm in it till March 31.
Used it all the time and was not happy that I would need to update.
Fast and snappy, that xp.

I installed a new vm with windows 7 on apr 1 and shed a tear at the burial of my beloved xp. I've got to say I'm impressed with w7 too.
It took up more disk space but performance isn't bad at all even when compared to xp (I run them both using the same memory and CPU limits and in performance optimized mode).

What can I say. It's only been a week since the xp burial but I'm already dating this new OS and it's looking like a long lasting affair.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
FWIW, the Dutch and U.K. governments have paid MSFT to extend support for another year. In the case of the U.K., bulk buy support for GBP 5.5 million.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by echelon0911
If hackers were opportunistic, they would double down on finding new vulnerabilities in XP. If MS truly plans no future patches, this would provide a tempting window to get inside some computers and setup shop
The fear is that they'll examine patches for Vista/7/8 to find potential vulnerabilities in XP.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
FWIW, the Dutch and U.K. governments have paid MSFT to extend support for another year. In the case of the U.K., bulk buy support for GBP 5.5 million.
Yeah, this is still available for those that are willing to pay for it... Though the cost is rising substantially as Microsoft increasingly uses it as a stick.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 12:29 am

I replaced a Dell desktop that I originally bought in 2003, so it was really about time for an upgrade. It has Windows 7, however, that I hope MS will support for as long as I'm still sucking wind. After that, I could care less.

Ma Kettle went in another direction. She had an old Dell laptop that I bought her for Christmas in 2005. She decided on a 13" MacBook Pro, but she's always been an Apple girl.

I retired my 2006 Dell laptop for something more agile and picked up a Google Nexus 10.

So, sadly, we're all done with Windows XP. Rest in peace, War Horse.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 6:09 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
+1 for Linux Mint (Debian Edition). I been running it for 3 years on a laptop that also has Win 7. I've used various flavors of *nix since college in the 90s.

Linux Mint has a nice desktop. I imagine for a Linux Noob, it can take a while to get used to the filesystem, but the OS is much less bloated than Windows or Mac OSes.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
XP still had the occasional Blue Screen of Death; that phenomenon seems to have been killed for good with Windows 7+.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Half-a-dozen desktops and several laptops, mostly on XP. Spent some time yesterday removing MSE and installing AVG, Replaced the MS firewall with ZoneAlarm. Malwarebytes still running strong. I have more to do today. Hiho.

Hanging around dodgy websites and other sketchy activities will provide more dangers of invasion no matter what OS you're using.

Switched browsing to Chrome, and I must say it's taking it's own sweet time about learning my habits, but so far it's terribly slow. Might want to check out Firefox.

OK so far, but we'll see what happens long term.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
XP still had the occasional Blue Screen of Death; that phenomenon seems to have been killed for good with Windows 7+.
I agree, except I got a BSOD on my W7 work laptop about three hours ago.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Not actively running it but clients still running them on standalone XP desktops offline.

Home office has several desktops, running mostly Windows 7 Pro/Ultimate by default, one dual boot to Vista. One running Vista only with addition of SSD for faster bootup since the DVD slot is virtually obsolete. Server boots to Linux, Vista or Win7. 3 laptops (2 designed for XP/Vista) running Win7 (1 rolled back from Win8) - has 2 retail Win8 full licenses in "cold" storage. The custom-built bench mini-tower has been running XP (it dual-boot to Windows ME, seriously) for years as a standalone, it's used for testing and not onlineand mirrored on backup 40GB legacy HDD - occassionally, clients need support ("ancient accounting software" that they will NOT and cannot upgrade as the vendor has migrated their product lines) and that's usually when I power up the XP.

Have no plan, interest or needs for using touchscreen desktop monitors or laptop/netbook - for those needs, "true" tablets will handle my needs.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 8:30 pm

Currently I'm running Windows 7 on my desktop and laptop. I do have one old computer in the garage with Windows XP.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 8:55 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Absolutely not. I can think of at least two ways I can (repeatedly) get a BSOD on my Dell Latitude E6430 with Win 7. Both involve USB (on the 3.0 ports). The sad thing is that my 2005ish Dell Latitude was quite bulletproof. I think Dell (like others) has gone lowest bidder for hardware and it shows in their current gen USB controllers...

To be fair, I'm talking Developer type USB devices like wireless packet capturing devices, wifi saturation simulators, etc. All work fine if I use the single USB 2.0 port, but if plugged into 3.0, the usually BSOD as soon as they are initialized. So much for retro compatibility...
Old Apr 14, 2014, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
I am still running XP SP3 at home and it is extremely stable as an OS. If it isn't broke don't fix it. @:-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.