Wiki Posts
Search

Monitoring the home while travelling

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2014, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by ScottC
Here is my setup:

Logitech Alert cameras (PoE) around the home
So you've run ethernet cables to each camera? Was that painful? PoE is not a bad idea. I was thinking wireless + power but thats more painful than PoE( I dont want them dying on me if battery powered). I'd love to buy a kit and goof around, but it will be a nightmare if I have to run eth cables everywhere - probably will need a pro installer.

Last edited by arjunrc; Mar 28, 2014 at 7:00 am
Old Mar 28, 2014, 6:29 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by MAN Pax
Doh! - Missed that in the body of the post. Lot's of text and my mind goes into autoskim.
I know - I said too much.

Others laugh at this ... but if you travel a fair bit and/or have more than one home, some of us end up with a nervous twitch. You wonder if "everything is alright" at whichever property you aren't at. My investment in IP cams means that that fear has completely gone. No longer driving with a sense of forboding. No more " I hope everything's OK". I can see what is going on and what has happened - and I can be alerted to anything .. though I don't bother with alerts .. just check into Photobucket regularly and have a nose. I can do this wherever I am in the world and at any time.

It has been cash really well spent.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by arjunrc
So you've run ethernet cables to each camera? Was that painful? PoE is not a bad idea. I was thinking wireless + power but thats more painful than PoE( I dont want them dying on me if battery powered). I'd love to buy a kit and goof around, but it will be a nightmare if I have to run eth cables everywhere - probably will need a pro installer.
Ethernet is by far the most reliable option there is. I wouldn't even trust WiFi as it is relatively easy to interfere with that connection. Yes, it is a pain, but it'll pay off in the end.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 12:23 pm
uk1
Suspended

Ethernet is by far the most reliable option there is. I wouldn't even trust WiFi as it is relatively easy to interfere with that connection. Yes, it is a pain, but it'll pay off in the end.
And ethernet via homeplugs works, and i was able to buy loads of the slow 85mbps ones which had a better reliability reputation than faster ones re dropping.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uk1
And ethernet via homeplugs works, and i was able to buy loads of the slow 85mbps ones which had a better reliability reputation than faster ones re dropping.
I have one of my Logitech cameras on Homeplug, and it is by far the slowest. Connecting to it remotely always takes longer.

Homeplug is great if you really can't get Ethernet there, but for some reason it doesn't perform as well.

Also, the Logitech (included) homeplug adapters are a massive pain in the backside - they use some weird built in encryption that can really mess things up.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 2:49 am
uk1
Suspended

I have one of my Logitech cameras on Homeplug, and it is by far the slowest. Connecting to it remotely always takes longer.

Homeplug is great if you really can't get Ethernet there, but for some reason it doesn't perform as well.

Also, the Logitech (included) homeplug adapters are a massive pain in the backside - they use some weird built in encryption that can really mess things up.
Obviously one only uses them if ethernet isn't available. It may be interference on your home wiring or the encryption? Mine are all fine.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uk1
Obviously one only uses them if ethernet isn't available. It may be interference on your home wiring or the encryption? Mine are all fine.
There are several known issues with the Logitech units. My problems became so annoying that I spent a weekend pulling Ethernet. And yes, that includes to outdoor locations. Pain to do, but well worth it in the end.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 10:22 am

I only have 1 Logitech Alert camera and Homeplug was working great for 2 years now. I haven't have to do anything to it and the only time it was down was when my internet was down or when the Logitech server was down which is rare. The Homeplug signal is showing weak but it stills work but then I only have 1 camera so very little bandwidth needed.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for the informative posts and details of your installs. I think I am going to get a couple of the Logitech cameras and see how it goes. Integration is becoming more and more important to me as a I go along, and I still think there is a place for a true "homepage" if you will that is your own portal, pulling everything together.

Maybe one of the software-based home automation packages does this, I just haven't checked. I use a Revolv hub right now, and it is decent with the smartphones.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by robroy90
Thank you all for the informative posts and details of your installs. I think I am going to get a couple of the Logitech cameras and see how it goes. Integration is becoming more and more important to me as a I go along, and I still think there is a place for a true "homepage" if you will that is your own portal, pulling everything together.

Maybe one of the software-based home automation packages does this, I just haven't checked. I use a Revolv hub right now, and it is decent with the smartphones.
What platform Smartphone do you use? I have Android, and use Imperihome, which pulls together quite a few of the things I use here, including my Vera.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 12:58 pm

Programs: Southwest A-list & Companion Pass, Enterprise, Hilton, Wyndham, etc
Wouldn't it be easier, cheaper and more sure-fire just to buy insurance?
Old Jun 13, 2014, 11:54 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
Bump!

Ok so since I read this way back when, I've been thinking about it, and now I want to install something basic.

I have a place I'd like to keep a vague eye on, but I have a few constraints...

Problems:

1) no way I can use wired ethernet cables. I (think) I need the cameras downstairs, and the router has to be upstairs in a far corner of the house. So wifi it is.

2) I don't really want it constantly streaming over the wifi, I let my neighbours use the wifi, so don't want it constantly tied up streaming, plus its limited and slow.

3) I have no form of computer in the house.

4) I know nothing about networks, I called a friend and asked about this, and he babbled on about static Ip, and some DNS business, no idea...

5) the living room overlooks the garden, which I want to have the motion sensor on, but also overlooks a road. I'm not keen on it going off every time a car goes past. range?

Ideals:

1) Motion sensor. Whats the range on these things? Do they work through glass?

2) It lets me know when someone activates it.

3) Some form of recording, I notice ScottC saying the Logitec has its own microSD slots which sounds good.

4) wifi

5)I can take a peak for fun

6) an app would be nice, not fussed.

Already seems like logitec is where I should be heading, not sure what it keeps meaning when it talks about the master system looks a bit like overkill to me.... Only really need 2/3 cameras max really....

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Old Jun 13, 2014, 12:16 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
Strange I can't edit my post..

Anyway, looking around more, these guys have some interesting info, I might call them tomorrow! The DVR idea is interesting... http://www.cctv42.co.uk/cctv-dvr-buying-guide.aspx
Old Jun 15, 2014, 11:27 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
I bought a home in Colorado last year with the full knowledge I probably wouldn't spend much time there. It has an old system with four cameras. The couple I bought it from called it "MEWS" or the "Mormon Early Warning System" It output the video to a channel on the TV's but the tape deck had been broken for years.

I didn't really think much of it until I had repo men skulking around last fall looking for a truck that belonged to the former tenants of a shack on the property that had been torn down.

I tracked down the contractor who installed the system when the house was built to inquire about having the existing cameras married to a network DVR. He said he would be happy to take my money, but he personally wouldn't bother because the cameras were so old.

I won't describe my plans in great detail because most of my decisions were based on reusing the existing wiring to the extent possible but these are the cameras I'm using.

http://www.vivotek.com/fd8363/

The cameras can either record to a local SD card or upload to an FTP, SMB or DAV folder.

I bought a cheap wall-mounted thin client to mount at the top of the stairs leading to the front door that will be locked to the webpage for the camera on the front door in kiosk mode.

I might add an additional camera(s) to cover the back of the property. My neighbors insist that local hillbillies cause trouble, but I haven't actually seen any as of yet. I did however have the mentioned shack on the property torn down as a condition of sale because it seemed like a good place to cook meth.

Last edited by Error 601; Jun 15, 2014 at 11:32 pm
Old Aug 2, 2014, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Starwood Platinum
Caught him in action with a Dropcam Pro

Originally Posted by robroy90
A co-worker just had her home burglarized. Gives me chills. I want to try to prevent it, and at the least, capture the perp in the act and record them while doing it.
I got a dropcam pro a couple of weeks ago as there had been a rash of backdoors kicked in in my neighborhood. Fast forward to thursday - and i get an alert that there is motion in my backyard (I am 600 miles away in another city). Instantely - i pull up my camera and see the following: https://www.dropcam.com/c/8ce67e279f...c7216df81b.mp4

Luckily my real alarm scared him off - but the iPad app and website are pretty cool for dropcam (full disclosure that it is 9.99 a month and most people here will not like that ). This made it on the Dallas news last night and everyone has loved his reaction when the alarm goes off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.