Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question about Uber cab app on Android

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2014, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Angry Question about Uber cab app on Android

For some reason, when I launch uber, it goes to a screen that requires that I submit a review (like 1-5 stars) for the previous driver. There is no button to skip the review process, and if I press the return key, it just exits Uber. This is frustrating because sometimes I don't want to submit a review because I don't remember if the ride was a good one or not as it's from a long time ago. I realize this sounds petty but just am wondering if this is only me or if it's by design a forcing mechanism. To me it's terrible design--imagine if Amazon required you to submit a product review before you can purchase the next product. They'd probably lose my business!
Old Jan 29, 2014, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

yep I think this is on purpose so you MUST rate every ride.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 9:52 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
the trick is

rate every ride right after.
(not really a trick)

Given that they want to insure quality control with drivers who they vet only to some extent, I think it's good that you have to rate drivers.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by accrue450
To me it's terrible design--imagine if Amazon required you to submit a product review before you can purchase the next product. They'd probably lose my business!
But physical products can't be compared to human drivers. Uber NEEDS reviews, so you know what kind of ride you are getting. If people were not required to rate, nobody would do it, yet they'd want reliable reviews themselves before booking...
Old Jan 29, 2014, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ScottC
But physical products can't be compared to human drivers. Uber NEEDS reviews, so you know what kind of ride you are getting. If people were not required to rate, nobody would do it, yet they'd want reliable reviews themselves before booking...
I'll just say that I can think of plenty of examples where the same argument applies even more. You can say patients should be required to rate surgeons after a surgery, or a defendant his lawyer, or heck even voting--but our country does not have mandatory voting. Yes, for nearly everything in life more information is good, but what's not cool is requiring an user submit feedback. If there were a competing product in my city that does not require feedback, I will for sure use it to avoid the annoyance.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 8:20 am

I'm still not seeing why this is such an inconvenience, and especially the "I would for sure use [a competing product ... that does not require feedback] to avoid the annoyance" part. It seems somewhat extreme.

The screen comes up more or less immediately after the ride, so I've never had any problems of not remembering what the ride was like. And even if I didn't see the screen until later, the fact that I don't remember anything much about the ride would cause me to deduce that the ride was fine, and I can therefore give four (or five) stars.

I think you're putting far too much importance on this review thing. I just don't think it's really big a deal.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by accrue450
but what's not cool is requiring an user submit feedback.
Well, that is what Uber requires, so good luck finding a different service. I really don't see the problem here. Leaving feedback helps others, and others leaving feedback helps you.

Next time you use a competing service and get a crap driver, you'll probably figure out why Uber does this.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 2:38 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat / AY Plat, BA GGL-CCR / Bonvoy Titanium (LTP)
Originally Posted by squeakr
rate every ride right after.
(not really a trick)
Originally Posted by stargold

The screen comes up more or less immediately after the ride, so I've never had any problems of not remembering what the ride was like. And even if I didn't see the screen until later, the fact that I don't remember anything much about the ride would cause me to deduce that the ride was fine, and I can therefore give four (or five) stars.
Except when roaming without data - common in international travel. These times I usually get the rating screen when booking the next ride (at at wifi location) and agree with the OP that it is (slightly) annoying. However Uber is great with their customer service and actually respond really fast to comments - basically anything less than 4 stars brings up "what went wrong" screen which submits a ticket to their customer care.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 2:43 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Fyi, there's an easy $25 credit available in a thread in the S.P.A.M. forum.

I have to say after my two wonderful Uber rides during Christmas week, I wanted to rate and review the drivers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.