Networks 3G 4G
There are 3 main mobile phone networks in New Zealand
  1. Spark [was called Telecom. Government owned before privatisation in 1990]
    https://www.spark.co.nz/shop/mobile-plans?snzPageSource=homePage
  2. 2degreesmobile
    https://www.2degreesmobile.co.nz/
  3. Vodafone
    https://www.vodafone.co.nz/plans

All other mobile phone plan retailers are resellers.

A reasonable summary on NZ mobile cell phones: https://prepaid-data-sim-card.fandom.com/wiki/New_Zealand

Phone & Data Plans
There are many phone-SIM-data plans available from bricks & mortar shops (phone shops, supermarkets, newsagents, gas/petrol stations) or on line. It can be confusing comparing the features & costs. Cost per month is reducing and data per month is increasing. The plans are aimed at New Zealand residents, so may not be that suitable for visitors to New Zealand. Some plans are 6/12 month locked-in contracts, but pre pay is common. Some plans include data roll over/bank while others do not. Some plans now have a 1 off bonus data at sign up. So check carefully.

A visitor to New Zealand should be able to get a 28/30 day plan for about $16 ~ $30 with unlimited local calls and local texts and with some data. Texts & calls NZ to Australia are included with many plans. Less than 30 days, if available, is not a lot different.. Check the conditions & fine print. Unlike Australia, for a New Zealand phone-SIM card an identity check is not needed.

Most (all?) of the New Zealand international airports will have booths selling SIM cards & phone-data plans.

Check if your unlocked phone works on the New Zealand networks:- http://willmyphonework.net

Phone & data plan sellers (not all)
  • Skinny (owned by Spark) www.skinny.co.nz
  • Spark https://www.spark.co.nz/shop/mobile-plans?snzPageSource=homePage
  • Vodafone www.vodafone.co.nz
  • 2degreesmobile https://www.2degreesmobile.co.nz/
  • Warehouse https://www.warehousemobile.co.nz/pricing/ (a big box discount chain in NZ)
  • Slingshot https://www.slingshot.co.nz/mobile/slingshot-mobile

Comparison web sites. Aimed for NZ residents rather than short term visitors.
https://www.priceme.co.nz/plans/mobile-plans
https://www.glimp.co.nz/mobile/compare

Disclaimer
The above is a very general guide only. It may not be 100% accurate
Mobile phone plans are for ever changing.
Any additions or corrections are welcome
Print Wikipost

Prepaid SIM - New Zealand

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2016, 1:32 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Arrived late into Wellington airport and in the baggage claims area was a Verizon kiosk so I bought the 5GB bundle with the nano sim for 85 NZD.

Right smack in the middle of Wellington cbd, no LTE. Went into a Verizon shop in town and they said they didn't know. They tried swapping the Sim and no difference.

3G speeds are around 9 Mpps.

They said maybe because I was trying a non NZ iPad but iPad Air 2 is shown to support most of the LTE bands in Europe, Asia including Oceania as well as North America.

Bummed. If I need more, I'm gonna give Spark a try.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by wco81
Arrived late into Wellington airport and in the baggage claims area was a Verizon kiosk so I bought the 5GB bundle with the nano sim for 85 NZD.

Right smack in the middle of Wellington cbd, no LTE. Went into a Verizon shop in town and they said they didn't know. They tried swapping the Sim and no difference.
Do you mean Vodafone? Verizon is a US company and doesn't (AFAIK) have operations in any other countries.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 12:58 pm
Suspended

Yup Vodaphone.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 2:36 am

For the last several years of trips to NZ, my answer to the Spark (NZ Telecom) vs Vodafone question has been to just get both. There have been too many instances where one or the other carrier's service was simply insufferable even in parts of the Auckland or ChCh CBDs, let alone out in rural areas.

And while it used to be that Spark/Telecom had more coverage than Vodafone in remote areas, that's not necessarily the case anymore. I recently spent 5 weeks travelling well off the beaten path on both islands and kept getting surprised by 1) having any coverage at all and 2) it often being Vodafone rather than Spark.

Finally, if you're coming from the US and mainly care about data and texting (vs making phone calls) ... the US T-mobile flat-rate global data plan includes NZ and with an appropriate device will roam on both carriers at no additional cost for data and texts. The data will be at throttled 3g speeds at best, but it's usually good enough for checking email, Facebook, Flyertalk, etc.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 4:17 am
Suspended

Yeah I should have mentioned, I'm using iPhone 6S Plus on T-mobile and it's getting Vodaphone LTE in the cities.

I took the ferry today and it was mostly 3G once out of Wellington. Still better than the wifi offered by the ship, which was probably being used by everyone on board.

Then drove from Picton to Nelson using Google Maps on the iPhone and it works fine, though there were some areas with no service.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 11:39 am

FYI - Wellington airport has a vodafone kiosk by domestic baggage claim on the ground floor and 2Degrees for sale at the relay (magazine shop) opposite the vodafone kiosk. No Spark available at the wellington airport.
In NZ I would rely on either the spark free wifi spots or various free wifi - airport, cafes, wellington waterfront wifi - http://cbdfree.co.nz/
Old Feb 9, 2016, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I used 2 Degrees last time I was there and was not impressed with the lack of service. In the areas where I could not get service everyone that I was with was on VF and they all had service. I will go with them next time.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 12:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by wco81

3G speeds are around 9 Mpps.

They said maybe because I was trying a non NZ iPad but iPad Air 2 is shown to support most of the LTE bands in Europe, Asia including Oceania as well as North America.

Bummed. If I need more, I'm gonna give Spark a try.
Went to a mall in Chistchurch which has both Spark and Vodaphone stores.

First, the Vodaphone store tried and still couldn't get LTE or 4g on my iPad Air 2.

Then I went to the Spark store, told them my concerns about getting LTE or 4g. The sales clerk took the sim out of her iPhone 5, where it displayed 4g and it showed LTE on my iPad Air 2.

Only thing is, they didn't have a trio SIM with no data for $5. Instead all they had was the $29 sim with 1.5 GB. And then I could add data bundles. So I bought the $29 sim even though it wasn't as good a rate as buying the $5 sim and adding a $50 or $90 bundle.

One of the places I stayed in only had Zenbu with 100 MB bundles so I want to have mobile data as a backup.

The next day I went to a different Spark store. They did have the $5 trio sim but they would not exchange or credit the $29 sim I had bought at the other Spark store. They claim no returns, unless the first store was willing to refund my money. I had the receipt and I didn't open it at all.

First, maybe not all Spark stores are owned by Spark? Second, I can't believe there is no return policy for unopened items. Is it specific to Spark? Is it a general policy in NZ?

I remember on a tour I went in Wellington the guide said the city is offering free wifi for 30 minute sessions in many public areas -- as many cities around the world were doing.

He said Wellington wants to become a tech hub for the region.

But their telecom infrastructure could be more competitive. It would be nice if there was a third mobile network, so these mobile cos. Had more competitive prices and more consumer friendly attitude.

And then there is the inadequate wired service at travel lodgings. Daily limits and slow speeds. At least Zenbu seems to be on the way to becoming more rare.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 10:28 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
I've lived here in NZ for 3.5 years (Canadian). I've pinged between 2Degrees and Spark for my mobile and tablet. I have an unlocked iPhone 6+ and iPad mini LTE. Currently I use 2 Degrees, and get great speed and coverage around the major centres: where there's no 2Degrees tower I switch to Vodafone at no extra charge.

But NZ is a countries of hills and mountains...with a lot of black holes for 3G/4G/LTE coverage.

Last edited by jawnbc; Feb 24, 2016 at 4:36 pm
Old Sep 23, 2016, 11:25 am

There is a Vodafone Travel SIM, with NZ$29, 49 and 99 cards available in the arrival hall in AKL, according to the site, and include 1, 3, resp 8GB data.
They allow even calling to some EU countries, some Asian countries, the US, Canada and South Africa.

http://www.vodafone.co.nz/travel-sim/

Does somebody have experience with it ?

Next Feb we go to NZ, so I am considering this.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 6:26 pm
Suspended

I believe I got the 49 NZD card at arrival in WLG and I could never get LTE on my iPad Air 2.

So I bought a Spark SIM and had no problems with LTE.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 6:27 pm

I used the Vodafone Travel SIM for about three weeks in Feb / Mar 2016. I was impressed - fast 4G in the cities and usually 3G elsewhere. Was using an Apple unlocked UK iPhone 6S , no problems , phone already knew the data settings , no need for unlock it.co.nz. Data often faster than hotel wifi , particularly on Stewart Island. Spent time in AKL , WEL and East Coast of South Island. Tethering was allowed , very handy , so didn't get SIM for iPad. Thought Voda NZ was well worth the money !
Old Feb 14, 2017, 2:27 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, HH, SPG Gold
Travel Vodafone for us

I just spent 2 weeks in mid January and used the Vodafone Travel sim. I got the $49 sim and it worked beautifully in and around Auckland and Coromandel. It was super easy to purchase at Auckland airport and the staff will even get your phone set up for you. I used an ancient, unlocked iphone 4S. What a challenge to revert to such a small phone. All in all, I would use Vodafone again.^
Old Feb 14, 2017, 5:03 pm
Suspended

Did you get LTE speeds?
Old Feb 14, 2017, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by Sweetone
I just spent 2 weeks in mid January and used the Vodafone Travel sim. I got the $49 sim and it worked beautifully in and around Auckland and Coromandel. It was super easy to purchase at Auckland airport and the staff will even get your phone set up for you. I used an ancient, unlocked iphone 4S. What a challenge to revert to such a small phone. All in all, I would use Vodafone again.^
I had the same experience last Saturday. The guy at the Vodafone shop installed the SIM card and it works perfectly.
They did not even ask for my passport, unlike at CPT or JNB.
I did not use data yet, as I have had wifi in the guesthouses, but I will probably use it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.