Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Official 2014 "Which Smartphone Should I Get?"

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2014, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Or should I buy an iPhone 5S 64GB and sell it immediately to have cash on hand and patiently wait for all of the new phone releases at MWC?
Old Feb 26, 2014, 8:07 am

Programs: AA Plat SPG Gold
All Android phones are essential the same in terms of software. It's only different in terms of hardware. I would recommend the Nexus 5 but since you need "wifi calling", can't you just use skype or any other IP phone apps?
Old Feb 26, 2014, 8:58 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL Silver, MR Plat, nobody everywhere else
I've got a Moto X that I started using late last year and have been very happy with it. They have some pretty decent pricing options depending on if you're going with a carrier subsidized model or a no-contract unlocked one.

http://www.ibtimes.com/moto-x-review...e-2013-1525256
Old Feb 28, 2014, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by flyerhog
All Android phones are essential the same in terms of software. It's only different in terms of hardware. I would recommend the Nexus 5 but since you need "wifi calling", can't you just use skype or any other IP phone apps?
Nothing can beat the clarity and reliability of T-Mobile's Wi-Fi Calling feature. With Skype, I would need to forward my T-Mobile number to a Skype In number ($$), and the call quality of other VOIP apps just aren't as good (I used Talkatone last time because of its easy integration with Google Voice).
Old Mar 2, 2014, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am extremely technically challenged so 95% of this thread is jibberish to me. I have a Samsung Stratosphere & am due for an upgrade soon. The reason I got this phone a couple years ago was because of the real physical keyboard (slide out). The phone has been acting up so will probably take advantage of upgrade & get a new one. I was looking at the Note III. I think it would satisfy my desire of getting a tablet in addition to a phone. Those of you who have the Samsung Note...do you feel that you look like a dork talking on such a big phone? And is it awkward using such a big phone? And most important...does the size of the phone make it easier to use the on screen keyboard? Thx
Old Mar 2, 2014, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by corky
Those of you who have the Samsung Note...
I have the Note II.

do you feel that you look like a dork talking on such a big phone?
Nope.

And is it awkward using such a big phone?
No, I really like it... but it's definitely a two-hander for doing touchscreen stuff. Very easy to hold left, and use my right hand to navigate -- I remember seeing something that the iPhone was kept small before the 5 to be usable with one hand, and that's not really practical

And most important...does the size of the phone make it easier to use the on screen keyboard? Thx
Way easier. It also gets you a number row, which is really nice.

I don't know how people use the on-screen keyboards at all on < 4" phones, and 5.5" is noticably better than the ~4.5" ones that were standard a year and a half ago when I got mine. I wouldn't consider anything much smaller when my current phone goes, although the S5 at 5.1" might be big enough.

I do miss having a sliding keyboard. There are some nice sliding keyboard cases for the Galaxy S phones, which might be worth looking into for you.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by nkedel

Way easier. It also gets you a number row, which is really nice.

I don't know how people use the on-screen keyboards at all on < 4" phones, and 5.5" is noticably better than the ~4.5" ones that were standard a year and a half ago when I got mine. I wouldn't consider anything much smaller when my current phone goes, although the S5 at 5.1" might be big enough.

I do miss having a sliding keyboard. There are some nice sliding keyboard cases for the Galaxy S phones, which might be worth looking into for you.
Before I had the Galaxy S2, I also enjoyed having a physical keyboard (Blackberry all the way) - however I got relatively quickly used to use the on-screen keyboard.

Now, the S2 indeed was not too big to type, but now I've had the Galaxy S4 for 2 months, and it's just a bit bigger but makes things much easier. It also has the number row, which is a big plus, yet doesn't look (and feel) as big as the Note series (which I personally feel as too big)

Maybe have a look at the S4 too, it will drop in price quite a bit soon that the S5 is coming, or directly start with the S5.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Maybe have a look at the S4 too, it will drop in price quite a bit soon that the S5 is coming, or directly start with the S5.
The S3 was the alternative when I got mine, and was almost big enough but not quite (and didn't have a number row, and only had a dual core CPU [on LTE models] vs. the quad in the Note II.)

The S4 is definitely worth looking at, and as you say, with the S5 coming out the prices on unsubsidized phones should be very good. With subsidies, who knows?
Old Mar 2, 2014, 5:02 pm
KPT

Programs: JAL Sapphire
I don't know how people use the on-screen keyboards at all on < 4" phones...
Wait, really? You just learn how to do it with the tips of your thumb. I rarely had spelling mistakes on the iPhones I've used over the years (3G/3GS/4S/5S) when using it with two hands. Obviously if you mash the keyboard with your fingerprints, you might trigger several keys at once.

That said, currently using a Moto X. I have a backup iPhone 5S that I just use as a point and shoot and media storage device now.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KPT
Wait, really? You just learn how to do it with the tips of your thumb.
I'm as precise as I reasonably can be, which isn't very.

Obviously if you mash the keyboard with your fingerprints, you might trigger several keys at once.
The distinction between "mashing" and using the tip is way more thought than I feel the need for. The 5.5" screen works well enough, although I still use a real full size keyboard on a laptop or desktop if I have to write at any length.

You'd think offering decent modern phones in a keyboard-equipped version would be a winning proposition; an awful lot of the hardware and all of the software engineering could be reused.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You'd think offering decent modern phones in a keyboard-equipped version would be a winning proposition; an awful lot of the hardware and all of the software engineering could be reused.
Yeah, that. ^
Evidently my thumbs are either wider or flatter or something than the average person. I have such frustration trying to type on those damn things. And I won't send stuff with a bunch of misspelled words or that they have to decipher the auto correct to see what I am saying. At least give us the option of having a real live keyboard. I would get one in a second.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Looking for something new in the new few months. Figure I might as well go to the newest on the block. Samsung Galaxy S5 or HTC M8 or something else?
Old Mar 4, 2014, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by indufan
Looking for something new in the new few months. Figure I might as well go to the newest on the block. Samsung Galaxy S5 or HTC M8 or something else?
Based on what's public now, either one should be good. For either the S5 or M8, I'd wait the real in-person reviews based on final hardware before committing, but both could be pretty good.

Given the maturity of the hardware, a big part of the decision will probably be do you like HTC's customizations better, or Samsung's?
Old Mar 4, 2014, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Given the maturity of the hardware, a big part of the decision will probably be do you like HTC's customizations better, or Samsung's?
Thanks. I don't know anything about Samsung and I currently have an HTC Rezound which I have been fairly happy with.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Evidently it was a Note 3 that Ellen used for the famous Oscar selfie. Samsung was a sponser so got good publicity.
I am still concerned about looking stupid with that giant thing being held to my head.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.