Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

1 Prepaid SIM card for 3 European countries?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2014, 9:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Our trip this May has evolved to the point that we'll be in the Netherlands, Switzerland and France for a total of 8 days. Is there one prepaid SIM card that will let me have 2 GB of data coverage for all 3 countries either for my iPhone5S or my Android phone? Thanks.

Last edited by Analise; Jan 2, 2014 at 12:06 pm
Old Jan 2, 2014, 12:36 pm

Can't help with the europe side of things but one option is to sign up for TMO simple choice program for one month and get their global data plan...if you're not looking for LTE speed, based on the feedback/experiences of others, fairly acceptable data service. My son is now in HK for the month and uses it.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...-coverage.html
Old Jan 3, 2014, 7:03 am

Programs: UA 1K
Even a "Travel SIM" like Truphone isn't going to be a lot of help here. Switzerland is an odd bird, and based on my experience (with family in Netherlands and Switzerland) you're better to get a local SIM in Switzerland.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dtsm
Can't help with the europe side of things but one option is to sign up for TMO simple choice program for one month and get their global data plan...if you're not looking for LTE speed, based on the feedback/experiences of others, fairly acceptable data service. My son is now in HK for the month and uses it.
I like this! Will this work on our current smartphones?

Last edited by Analise; Jan 3, 2014 at 7:41 am
Old Jan 3, 2014, 11:13 am

http://www.europasim.com/epages/6335...%20SIM-Card%22
Old Jan 3, 2014, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Analise
I like this! Will this work on our current smartphones?
Well... who is your current provider? If not T-Mobile, are you willing to switch to one of their paid monthly plans?
Old Jan 5, 2014, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Well... who is your current provider? If not T-Mobile, are you willing to switch to one of their paid monthly plans?
My current provider is Verizon. Why couldn't I just remove my SIM card from my 5s and then use T-Mobile for just one month? Then when I return, I'll put the SIM card back in the phone and continue with Verizon. The Verizon system doesn't even use SIM cards anyway but the 5s has one.

Or....

I have two android phones from when I used Sprint and AT&T respectively. Why not use one of those phones with T-Mobile for just a month on the Simple Plan?
Old Jan 5, 2014, 6:29 pm

Why couldn't I just remove my SIM card from my 5s and then use T-Mobile for just one month?

Or....

I have two android phones from when I used Sprint and AT&T respectively. Why not use one of those phones with T-Mobile for just a month on the Simple Plan?
Either plan is a smart idea and would work just fine. The 5s is 100% unlocked and works with TMO. I'm not sure which android devices you have but assume they're unlocked. And the good thing is you're not married to TMO beyond the one month.

I'm probably headed to Europe in mid March for a few days. I will get a prepaid for my 5s as a courtesy to my local business associates/friends and have my Moto G on TMO for free internet/data access. As indicated earlier, my son is now in HK. His Nexus 5 is using our TMO family plan and his old Samsung S2 has a local HK prepaid.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Both Androids are unlocked. Thanks.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My current provider is Verizon. Why couldn't I just remove my SIM card from my 5s and then use T-Mobile for just one month? Then when I return, I'll put the SIM card back in the phone and continue with Verizon. The Verizon system doesn't even use SIM cards anyway but the 5s has one.

Or....

Technically, T-Mobile won't let you do that for that exact reason. There needs to be proof that you have used the phone and plan domestically "for a while." However, based on the experiences posted in other thread posted, YMMV.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Technically, T-Mobile won't let you do that for that exact reason. There needs to be proof that you have used the phone and plan domestically "for a while." However, based on the experiences posted in other thread posted, YMMV.
Their ads don't say anything about that...I even read the small print.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

I went to a TMobile today. I can use any unlocked Android or my unlocked 5s. I can do a prepaid for 30 days and if I want 2.5 GB, it will cost $70. For unlimited data, it will cost $90. The one negative is that the speed is 2G. I can live with that.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 3:56 pm

I went to a TMobile today. I can use any unlocked Android or my unlocked 5s. I can do a prepaid for 30 days and if I want 2.5 GB, it will cost $70. For unlimited data, it will cost $90. The one negative is that the speed is 2G. I can live with that.
Did you ask about the simple choice plan: $50 postpaid, no contract, unlimited voice/data/text? It then gives you the global plan and 30 days or 40 days later, you call and cancel.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Pre-paid plans will not get you global roaming.

Do customers have to be on a specific service plan to have international roaming included?
Yes. Qualifying Simple Choice customers (new and existing with approved credit) – excluding pay-in-advance and Simple Choice no credit – are eligible.

Also includes DHI, Mobile Internet, Classic and Value plans that launched since March 2013
All Simple Choice plans for business are also included

And in the fine print...

Not for extended international use; you must reside in the U.S. and primary usage must occur on our U.S. network. Device must register on our U.S. network before international use. Service may be terminated or restricted for excessive roaming or misuse.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Perhaps Toggle. We are discussing it in another thread at the moment too. I have just signed up with them and will see how that works.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.