Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Any success getting 200MB/month free T-Mobile tablet data?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any success getting 200MB/month free T-Mobile tablet data?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2015, 3:45 am

Originally Posted by Need
Unless they have changed that recently, that's not the case. I have used up all 200MB in both of my iPads and there is nothing after that until the next month. There is a pop up telling you if you want to use more data you have to pay.
I don't know about roaming in Canada, but I have taken the iPads to Japan and Tokyo and there is no roaming data over there.
This has been my same exact experience with my iPad. And I just returned from trip to southeast Asia.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 10:03 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
It looks like one of mine got cut-off, it just keeps redirecting to the captive portal.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 9:57 pm

Programs: DL 2MM/PM, HH LT <>, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by HockeyCoachBen
Weren't the Free Data for Life tablets originally included as part of the free 2G international roaming data promotion? Could have sworn I've used my iPads in Europe and was never charged for data usage. Both are on FDFL so no extra international data plan.
I was able to data roam while in Manila with a tmobile sim (pay as you go = FDFL) in an Ipad2. I -was- charged for roaming however. Fortunately not too expensive a lesson.

Data from my phone as expected, was not charged.

Jim
Old Sep 4, 2015, 10:46 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Just FYI for all planning to get this FDFL offer from T-Mo USA, beware of a (new ??) 4 digits PIN requirement - between successful online registration & actual activation with the T-Mobile ID/Account created, after receiving the "Welcome" to Mobile Internet emails (with 5 to 15 minutes, usually) with one's newly assigned CDN - happened to one of our newly activated iPad Mini (non-carrier branded, came from Sprint & unlocked) Call the 800-number displayed on the device under "View Account" and they should be able to locate & provide you with the digits within minutes & have you ready to go - resume & device will "update" settings OTA and reboot, enjoy. Apparently, these are part of the recent changes in how they provisioned tablets in their system.

Used the newest 3-n-1 Sim (came with free adapters for mini & regular Sim, save them, can come in handy)apparently also good for voice plans as well - older/unused T-Mo Sims (unexpired) apparently were not recognized or verifying by the online system - save us a trip to local T-Mo Store to activate.

Devices other than iPads, as long as they aren't smartphones or MiFi's based on FCC ID's verified along with the first 8 digits of TAC and model description, can be added to the database in their system for activation - got all my issues sorted in less than 10 minutes & completed my setup from "home" after dinner this week.

Buying/adding extra 4G data & checking unused balance, etc. can be done directly on the tablet easily with the (new?) interface. Disclosures & wordings of the online agreement is that the activated Sim is locked to the registered device & will not work if removed, for at least 180 days.
NEW ! Use your high speed data in Canada and Mexico like you do in the U.S., -- at no extra charge.
Would be interesting to see what will happen after 6 months since their system sweep still "isn't sure" what's my primary smartphone, the same Nexus 5 for the last 18 months ...

Last edited by Letitride3c; Sep 4, 2015 at 1:17 pm
Old Sep 7, 2015, 8:00 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Happy Labor Day w/e from abroad, thought I'll do a quick update for both Taiwan & Seoul, SK - briefly, will be back on Sunday)

Mrs' iPad Muni (global/Sprint variant) have - as expected per TOC - no service in Seoul (5 hour layover & surfed for a while inside the airport, right at the free internet center on level 4) or Taoyuan - WiFi was blazingly fast @ ICN, 75MB d/l whereas TPE, it was much slower.

T-Mo registered, manualy, on TW (Taiwan Mobile's 3G network, no service or connection lost easily, but got WiFi calling working on the iPhone5s. Chunghwa didn't come thru for us and the telecomm kiosk near the group transport center had a long line, so we didn' stop to get a prepaid sim or look for tech help.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
I was recently talking to a T-mobile rep around here about the 200mb plan. She told me that it's like their other plans--when you use up the allotted amount you get throttled rather than cut off.

Furthermore, she told me that around here "throttled" means 3G instead of 4G. In other words, at least in theory I have unlimited 3G for $0/month.
Any update on this , 200MB is great for free , more MB for throttled down would be even better.....

Will be using an iPad 2 with 3G so it will be slow anyway

and do they charge for the Tmobile Sim ?

Thanks for any update
Old Oct 24, 2016, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by LAXlocal
Any update on this , 200MB is great for free , more MB for throttled down would be even better.....
Best to dial 611 and ask TMO CS. I still have mine, seldom use it except for emergency on iPad air. Only the first 200mb free, thereafter must pay.

Or visit TMO store. If still available, they'll probably charge you $9.99 or so for the actual sim card for your iPad.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for any update
I've never gone over the 200mb to see what happens. I was charged $15 for the SIM.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 12:11 pm

Programs: MR Platinum

Thanks for any update
Pretty sure the information is incorrect. 200MB is hard capped. Also, T-Mobile throttling is 2G equivalent speeds, not 3G. Common misconception: The connection doesn't actually change. Device can still be connected via LTE to the tower, but the data throughput is substantially reduced. Instead of tens of mbps which the link is capable of, you get a tenth of a mbps.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 6:54 pm

Thanks for the updates , you see many things on google and I always think its better to ask "real" users from here,

200MB is OK if I only load email and text based apps on the iPad ,

is there a way on Apple devices to have 2 users on one device ?

it would be a WiFi user and a 3G-4G user ,
then some apps could be WiFi only ( YouTube ect ) to save the Data.....
Old Oct 24, 2016, 9:15 pm

Happen to have a tablet whose 30-days is up today so decided to blow through the 200MB of data to see what happens.

1. SpeedTest does not count against data allocation. It also still works after the hard-cap has been reached.
2. Data is hard-capped. Amazon video stopped working after reaching limit (so no Binge On), and Amazon music stopped playing once limit is reached (so no Music Freedom).
Old Oct 24, 2016, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by AnalogMan
Data is hard-capped. Amazon video stopped working after reaching limit (so no Binge On), and Amazon music stopped playing once limit is reached (so no Music Freedom).
did you happen to try simple things like email or google search and see if that even connects at 2G "speed"

thanks for the update
Old Oct 25, 2016, 1:26 pm

did you happen to try simple things like email or google search and see if that even connects at 2G "speed"

thanks for the update
The device stays connected to LTE, but gets zero data. I didn't check closely, but my tablet knew the data connection was no longer working - either whatever sever it's pinging implicitly to confirm it's connected to the internet is no longer reachable, or the device is losing it's IP address. The former is more likely as I believe the t-mobile web site is still accessible (presumably so people can pay for more data, unlike AT&T, which didn't even allow access to the web site to buy more data).

T-Mobile also sends an email that's fairly unambigous: "You've used all 100% of 4G LTE data in your Mobile Internet plan and no longer have data on your <my device type information removed> until your plan renews."
Old Oct 25, 2016, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by AnalogMan
The device stays connected to LTE, but gets zero data. I didn't check closely, but my tablet knew the data connection was no longer working - either whatever sever it's pinging implicitly to confirm it's connected to the internet is no longer reachable, or the device is losing it's IP address. The former is more likely as I believe the t-mobile web site is still accessible (presumably so people can pay for more data, unlike AT&T, which didn't even allow access to the web site to buy more data).

T-Mobile also sends an email that's fairly unambigous: "You've used all 100% of 4G LTE data in your Mobile Internet plan and no longer have data on your <my device type information removed> until your plan renews."
OK , then I will be careful not to eat up the MBs too quick

still OK for free , if you buy extra MB does it last until you use it or only for 30-60 days or ???

thanks
Old Oct 25, 2016, 7:38 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, Marriott Gold
OK , then I will be careful not to eat up the MBs too quick

still OK for free , if you buy extra MB does it last until you use it or only for 30-60 days or ???

thanks
They sell prepaid plans from 1 day/500mb for $5 to 30 day/7gb for $50. However, there is also another option (might be an iPad only promotion) which gives you 150 days/5gb for $10. You only dip into this plan after you use up the monthly free 200mb. Great deal!!

Last edited by KevinSFO; Oct 26, 2016 at 11:34 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.