Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Best Way to Migrate ISP and Extend WiFi Throughout House?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Way to Migrate ISP and Extend WiFi Throughout House?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2013, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA-3MM-ExPLT
Now having survived all that, part 2.

If you don't like the wireless router built into the cable modem, have dead spots, etc. you always can add your own router - any of the electronics stores, Amazon, etc. - they all sell them.

The newer stuff (called 802.11n and 802.11ac) is faster and has better coverage (of course, it's ALWAYS limited to the speed of your internet connection, so don't buy into the 450Mbps is wonderful if you have a 30 Mbps internet plan - yes 450 greater than 30, but it's the coverage you want not the speed)

The back of the cable modem will have one or four of those RJ45 things I talked about in the prior post. You can take the little cable that comes with the router you buy click it into the port on your new router labeled "WAN" or "Internet" and click the other end into the port on the cable modem. This should be in the router's quick start and you'll definitely want to read and follow that since you want to at least set a password on your wireless signal so I can't leech it from you while sitting at the curb.

That's the easiest way to get internet, btw, just leech from a neighbor - sitting here at the couch I can see 17 access points...
Old Aug 17, 2013, 10:32 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
How long are you planning to be in this house? The longer you're planning to be there the better and more future-proof I would recommend being for the wiring.

How much cable is laid in the house right now? Is there coax to every room that is going to have a TV? Cable installers are famous for stapling coax to walls and baseboards. Having done a lot of painting i *hate* this as it makes it impossible to do a good paint job without removing the cable.

If you're going to have to pull coax to different rooms for the TV, I recommend having the installer/electrician pull network cable to that room as well and run it to a distribution room. Over the years I've run CAT6 network cable from most rooms of my house to the room I use as my office. This ties in to my router there and enables me to have a 100% reliable hardwired network that never has the problems that my wifi network has had over the years. My house has very thick walls and floors.

Remember, it's the same effort to pull 2 wires as it is to pull 1.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 6:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, AK Gold 75K, etc. etc.
In my somewhat large house, we had dead spots with several wi-fi access points (netgear, d-link-usually top of the line). I bought the previous version of the Apple Airport extreme and that solved the problem. Test reports on the newest version of Airport extreme (wireless A,C) make it appear even better. Although relatively expensive, if you still have dead spots, you can get a second Apple access point and it can rather easily be set up as a repeater/signal extender. So based on my experience, I firmly recommend the Apple Airport extreme rather than the cable company device.

If your cable company installer is good, he may be able to solve all your issues. If he is mediocre, he may not get you "whole house access."
Old Aug 19, 2013, 2:48 pm
dtc

Programs: Restarting life as UA newb; AA Lifetime Gold
+1 on the powerline Ethernet adapters.

I've been able to extend Internet to a detached garage (think New England houses) with one of those. I'd totally get one (pair) and then hook up another wifi access point to it.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
BStrauss3: Thanks for scaring the you-know-what out of me!

Seriously, I appreciate the notes on the choke points. I need to know where things can go wrong.

Originally Posted by lensman
How long are you planning to be in this house? The longer you're planning to be there the better and more future-proof I would recommend being for the wiring.

How much cable is laid in the house right now? Is there coax to every room that is going to have a TV? Cable installers are famous for stapling coax to walls and baseboards. Having done a lot of painting i *hate* this as it makes it impossible to do a good paint job without removing the cable.

If you're going to have to pull coax to different rooms for the TV, I recommend having the installer/electrician pull network cable to that room as well and run it to a distribution room. Over the years I've run CAT6 network cable from most rooms of my house to the room I use as my office. This ties in to my router there and enables me to have a 100% reliable hardwired network that never has the problems that my wifi network has had over the years. My house has very thick walls and floors.

Remember, it's the same effort to pull 2 wires as it is to pull 1.
We're going to be here for another 20 years. I want to do it as right as possible the first time.

As to the second question, I really don't know. My knowledge of electronics is, well, somewhat poor.

Originally Posted by mikel51
In my somewhat large house, we had dead spots with several wi-fi access points (netgear, d-link-usually top of the line). I bought the previous version of the Apple Airport extreme and that solved the problem. Test reports on the newest version of Airport extreme (wireless A,C) make it appear even better. Although relatively expensive, if you still have dead spots, you can get a second Apple access point and it can rather easily be set up as a repeater/signal extender. So based on my experience, I firmly recommend the Apple Airport extreme rather than the cable company device.

If your cable company installer is good, he may be able to solve all your issues. If he is mediocre, he may not get you "whole house access."
Thank you very much. I appreciate the advice.

The big question: We have an electrician that we trust. How much of the wiring, cable-readying, etc. can he do so that we don't have to rely on a random cable installer?

Mike
Old Aug 19, 2013, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
not electrical

Originally Posted by mikeef
BStrauss3: Thanks for scaring the you-know-what out of me!

Seriously, I appreciate the notes on the choke points. I need to know where things can go wrong.

We're going to be here for another 20 years. I want to do it as right as possible the first time.

As to the second question, I really don't know. My knowledge of electronics is, well, somewhat poor.

most of this is not electrical. If he is good, and is ready and willing to pull some wire (ethernet CAT6) and or coax for cable drops, I'd say figure out what you want where and let him

Thank you very much. I appreciate the advice.

The big question: We have an electrician that we trust. How much of the wiring, cable-readying, etc. can he do so that we don't have to rely on a random cable installer?

Mike

most of this is not electrical. If he is good, and is ready and willing to pull some wire (ethernet CAT6) and or coax for cable drops, I'd say figure out what you want where and let him pull some ethernet from where you are going to have your primary Cable modem and router, and then put an ethernet drop there (next to a power drop) and then maybe put some coax where you want it, so the cable guy won't charge an arm and a leg to put the drop in the inside wall, exactly where you want it.

N
Old Aug 19, 2013, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Electrician is probably overkill, but as nmenaker said, if he's willing to do it sure. Otherwise a good handyman is all you need.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 8:06 pm

we use a combination of wired and wireless extensions. the main router 'feeds' other wireless units and connects them by wires.

I fully agree with getting latest technology you can afford. i have found a great way to save cash is to get the slightly older versions used.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA-3MM-ExPLT
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Electrician is probably overkill, but as nmenaker said, if he's willing to do it sure. Otherwise a good handyman is all you need.
Concur. Pulling Ethernet (cat 5/6) has two components - pulling the wire itself and the termination. Pulling the wire is just like pulling Romex (the 110 electrical wire). The skills are typical electrician skills - fishing wire, installing old-work boxes, etc.

Termination takes a tiny bit of specialized knowledge (don't untwist more than an minimal amount of wire) and minimal but specialized test equipment for certification. If your electrician owns the test set (and many do), you should be golden.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks guys. From what you have said, it does seem like the electrician may be a little bit of overkill. But frankly, we don't have a great handyman, so I'm willing to overpay my electrician, who we know is honest (He was once mortified that he had to get a different piece of equipment than he thought for a particular project, and he was so sorry, but the new piece was $150 more. The whole project was just under $10,000. I almost died laughing.) and will tell us what he can and can't do. It's clear that I want the installers to have to do as little as possible.

I appreciate all the help and feel free to keep the suggestions coming.

Mike
Old Aug 20, 2013, 8:16 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Our main computer is on the third floor. We have a TV on the second floor and two on the first floor, along with laptops that follow us around the house. Moving the main computer, which is where the wireless thingie is now, is unlikely to happen due to space constraints on other floors.
I appreciate all the help and feel free to keep the suggestions coming.
So it sounds like you already have coax to all the rooms that have TVs and you're just looking for a way to ensure that you have a good wifi signal everywhere in the house, right? That is, you don't feel you need any more coax (cable tv) wire pulled anywhere in the house, right?

Also, where are you getting your current TV signal? Where is it coming into the house and where is it split to the different rooms?

Finally, are you happy with the way the current coax is run? Is it in the walls?
Old Aug 21, 2013, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lensman
So it sounds like you already have coax to all the rooms that have TVs and you're just looking for a way to ensure that you have a good wifi signal everywhere in the house, right? That is, you don't feel you need any more coax (cable tv) wire pulled anywhere in the house, right?

Also, where are you getting your current TV signal? Where is it coming into the house and where is it split to the different rooms?

Finally, are you happy with the way the current coax is run? Is it in the walls?
I'm not exactly sure what the coax situation is. Our electrician is coming over this weekend to see how everything is wired, but I'd be hard pressed to tell you what goes where. As mentioned, my technical knowledge is bad.

Currently, we have satellite TV (DirecTV). We have three televisions, one in the master bedroom (second floor) and two on the first floor, in the living room and playroom. All three have cables that plug into the wall, which I'm assuming are the coaxes. The playroom is the room that is the dead zone, although the living room gets only a weaker signal. The modem and router are on the third floor and will stay there when the cable company takes over from our DSL.

My goal is two-fold: First, as you stated, I want to make sure that I get a good wifi signal everywhere in the house. I'd like to be able to use my laptop in the playroom, but we are also putting a Smart TV in there, so we'll need wireless or high-speed access to ensure the ability to download episodes of Dora the Explorer (On second thought, maybe I should be skipping the HSIA here so I don't have to subject myself to "Swiper no swiping!"...).

Reading through the suggestions, though, it became clear to me that my house might need a total install, since we don't currently have cable. And, based on my previous experiences with cable installers and BStrauss3's humorous but, unfortunately, realistic posts earlier, it is also clear to me that I want the cable guys to do as little of the work as possible. That's where my electrician comes in. I spoke to him last night and he has a pretty good idea of what we're looking at.

Anyway, I hope I haven't confused you more. Thanks again.

Mike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.