Cell Signal Extender at home?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cell Signal Extender at home?

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2013, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One note about GPS and the Verizon extender -- it does not require continuous access to GPS. Once it's determined its location, it can be moved as long as it's left on. The Verizon extender also comes with a very long extension antenna for GPS, which allows considerable flexibility in where it's located. I have one and it works well. The only thing I don't like about it is that it will host any Verizon phone in its range. Because it works over the internet, it effects available bandwidth.
Old May 29, 2013, 4:17 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Delta Silver
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Microcells can be had on CL for ~$50

Friend got AT&T to give him one no charge when hepointed out how bad the signal was AND that he was out of contract
Be careful when buying these on CL. The previous owner must remove it from their account before selling. I had one when I was on AT&T, switched to Verizon, and gave the device to my parents. Because it wasn't removed from the account, it took them escalating the issue, and 5 days to get it fully removed and ready for me to use. The simplest solution is just call AT&T before buying to confirm the device has been removed.
Old May 29, 2013, 6:45 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Agreed. I had the seller confirm with AT&T. It's also easy to remove from one's OLAM page; no phone calls necessary.
Old May 30, 2013, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I bought a Verizon 2G one off ebay a year or two ago. The seller promised that it had been removed from the previous owner's account (seller was an ebay business, not an individual). Turned out it wasn't. They sent me a second one - same thing. So they gave me a partial credit. It still works fine - I've never had a problem. Although it seems Verizon's extender support has been patchy lately. The SYS light sometimes blinks red for a few days at a time, during which the extender is inoperative.
Old May 30, 2013, 10:33 am
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
Originally Posted by wharvey
Unfortunately, Verizon is no better. My partner had Verizon when we moved here... and it was worse for him.
William, I didn't realize that you moved again! If only they would give you frequent flyer miles for moving vans, you could schedule another free trip in F
Larry
Old May 30, 2013, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K
AT&T gave me my microcell for free. For them it's a customer retention tool... when I called to complain that I could not finish a single call without it dropping, they told me all about their wonderful microcell which would only cost me $199. So my response was, "Do you mean to tell me that you want me to pay $200 so you can piggy back off of my Comcast internet service because your cell coverage is so crappy? You must be dreaming!", then they say hold on, let me talk to a supervisor... viola, free microcell. While it's not perfect (I often have to power cycle mine every few days) it is a huge improvement...
Old May 30, 2013, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Call and complain and they'll give you the microcell for free.
Old May 30, 2013, 2:15 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Tried and rejected a few times....

Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
Call and complain and they'll give you the microcell for free.
Old May 30, 2013, 2:54 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

There are a couple on CL nearby you.
Old May 30, 2013, 3:52 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Delta Silver
Originally Posted by wharvey
Tried and rejected a few times....
AT&T seems to base the discount they give you on how their coverage maps show your location. If it is showing as really poor, it will be free, and if its so-so, you'll get a partial discount. I had someone at an AT&T store show me their tool they use, and it tells them just how much they can discount it. They had offered it to me for something around $50 IIRC.
Old May 30, 2013, 4:28 pm

Sprint gave me a femtocell (free) when I griped about their non-existent coverage. The
minutes of usage with the femtocell did not count towards my monthly plan.

I had to negotiate the above arrangement ... but the store did NOT want me to
exercising my 2-week return option.
Old May 30, 2013, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by gqZJzU4vusf0Z2,$d7
Sprint gave me a femtocell (free) when I griped about their non-existent coverage.
AT&T's is not supposed to work where they do not have service.
Old May 30, 2013, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cblaisd
AT&T's is not supposed to work where they do not have service.
He means that there are gaps in Sprint's coverage. The microcells will only work if the built in GPS indicates it's in a place where the carrier is licensed to provide coverage.
Old May 30, 2013, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
He means that there are gaps in Sprint's coverage.
Ah, okay. But that's not the plainest meaning of the words....

The microcells will only work if the built in GPS indicates it's in a place where the carrier is licensed to provide coverage.
Indeed. As I pointed out....
Old Jun 1, 2013, 10:37 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by gqZJzU4vusf0Z2,$d7
Sprint gave me a femtocell (free) when I griped...
Same here.

Sprint's maps show that there is good service at my home; however, most of the time I have no bars. I invited the Sprint rep to come try her phone at my home, and she relented and gave me a free Airvana.

I can set it to work only with registered phones, but that will block other Sprint users near my house from access to the Sprint network.

While the unit only supports 3G, I simply use WiFi at home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.