Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Etiquette Living in Canada with a US Mobile Number

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2013, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Etiquette Living in Canada with a US Mobile Number

For a long time, long distance still seemed to matter in Canada. This seems to be changing. US plans seems to roam in Canada far cheaper than vice versa. Do you think a person who primarily resides in Canada would get much push from friends, colleagues, etc. back having a US mobile number. I remember getting lip at a Montreal restaurant making a restaurant reservation with a Toronto Mobile number.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 5:17 pm

I did this too (lived in Vancouver with a Chicago number). It was pretty inconvenient for the other parties. A lot of Canadian plans don't have free calling/texting to the US. I ended up just getting a Canadian number, even though it was pretty expensive compared to US plans.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 7:42 pm

Canadian mobile phone plans are like the US 20 years ago - you have to pay for domestic roaming and domestic long distance (yes, I know there are exceptions, but I think this is generally true.)

You might want to consider getting a local Canadian number that forwards to your US cell phone.

At www.localphone.com you would pay a $5 one time setup charge and then $3 per month for your local Canadian number. You would then pay a half cent per minute for each incoming call (all USD.)

Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
For a long time, long distance still seemed to matter in Canada. This seems to be changing. US plans seems to roam in Canada far cheaper than vice versa. Do you think a person who primarily resides in Canada would get much push from friends, colleagues, etc. back having a US mobile number. I remember getting lip at a Montreal restaurant making a restaurant reservation with a Toronto Mobile number.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA 1P, National Exec Elite
I did it for a few months after first moving to Canada, but as said, it was inconvenient for other parties, so I got a Canadian phone. Although, I did keep my US phone number, and had it forwarded to the new Canadian number. Not a big premium with Verizon Nationwide + Canada to have Canada included as nationwide minutes.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Thanks.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 11:05 pm

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.2.2; Nexus 4 Build/JDQ39) AppleWebKit/537.22 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/25.0.1364.169 Mobile Safari/537.22)

I live in Ontario and Nova Scotia and exclusively use my Google Voice number with a California area code.

If people balk at paying a dime to text me, they don't need to get a hold of me that badly...
Old Mar 29, 2013, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Mods should edit the title, I clicked purely because I couldn't figure out why you'd be asking Canadians (.ca) about living in China (.cn)?
Old Mar 30, 2013, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nkedel
Mods should edit the title, I clicked purely because I couldn't figure out why you'd be asking Canadians (.ca) about living in China (.cn)?
Done
Old Mar 30, 2013, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Done
Thanks.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nkedel
Thanks.
"My bad," sorry about faux pas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.