Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Prepaid SIM - Chile

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2013, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Prepaid SIM - Chile

I'll be traveling in Chile for 2 weeks and need a sim with plenty of bandwidth without costing an arm and a leg. Any advice?
Old Mar 25, 2013, 5:25 pm

Programs: DL PM, MR Plat, SPG Plat
It's been a few weeks, but following up on this because I am also interested. Anyone have some tips?
Old Apr 3, 2013, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Ditto - will be there for 5 days in November and have the same question
Old Apr 4, 2013, 12:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
I bought a Movistar one and it worked fine. Entel is also supposed to be good. Just be aware you need to activate using a "RUT" number (similar to social security # in the USA). So ask the guy at the place of purchase to activate it for you.

Or if you're clever and speak basic spanish, you can do it over the phone on their automated system. A smart Google search can come up with some RUT numbers that work fine, as there's no way of really validating it is YOUR RUT
Old Oct 26, 2013, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AK Gold 75K, etc. etc.
Ipad 3 SIM for Chile

I have a Verizon IPAD3 with 4GLTE. We plan to visit Chile next month. Any advice about how to get and use a data SIM? Would probably use a gigabyte or two of data.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
Looking for a prepaid data-only nano SIM for Chile for next month. Third-party vendors with multi-country SIMs charge $30/MB. I got completely hosed by T-Mo in Costa Rica and Nicaragua and wanted a backup plan.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AK Gold 75K, etc. etc.
Originally Posted by deirdre
Looking for a prepaid data-only nano SIM for Chile for next month. Third-party vendors with multi-country SIMs charge $30/MB. I got completely hosed by T-Mo in Costa Rica and Nicaragua and wanted a backup plan.
Send a PM to me if you want to borrow the Entel SIM I used over Thanksgiving in my iPAD mini retina. I don't know if there is much (any credit left). Without having a Chilean ID, the only way I could figure out to credit purchase for data was to use an unlocked phone with text messaging....then put the SIM back into the iPAD. It worked well, but was only 3G.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Any updates for Chile SIMs?
Old Oct 6, 2014, 2:19 am

Programs: AA Plat SPG Gold
Claro. It's the only thing you need to know if you need a sim in South America
Old Nov 8, 2014, 1:50 pm

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
is there a Claro outpost in SCL? going to in town for a few days and need data coverage, would prefer to grab one before I head out of the airport
Old Nov 21, 2015, 1:08 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I was trying to find the info but couldn't. If one were to pick up a Claro SIM in Colombia, what would it take to use it in Chile, or any other Claro country? If you're on prepaid do they just not let you roam?

I could just buy it in chile, but I actually would use the number in Colombia so I wouldn't want people to have to call me long distance.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 5:34 am

Programs: AA-EXP 2MM, Marriott-PP/LT P, Avis-PC
Any recommendations on prepago SIM cards in Santiago for someone who uses a lot of data (no voice) and likes to have the fastest speeds?
Old Nov 29, 2015, 7:39 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Ambassador if you're going before Dec 13 let me know the answer!

I'm in the same boat. People seem to lean Claro here, I have no experience with them in Colombia, I use Tigo there but I'm open to trying anyone. Virgin seems to have pretty decent plans/prices in Chile from what I saw on their site. In the end I may just skip it altogether, sounds like there's lots of Wifi hotspots and this whole RUT thing sounds like it's hit or miss.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 10:43 pm

Just came back from Chile and we bought prepaid plans from an Entel kiosk at SCL. The Entel kiosk is at the 3rd floor, in front of the domestic check-in counters. The sales rep spoke good English, and helped us get set up. The Entel kiosk also sells sim cards, but they ran out at that time, so the sales rep pointed us to a store called Fotokina to buy sim cards (also on the 3rd floor).

We didn't need to provide a RUT to buy the sim or the prepaid plan.

Sim card: $6,000 CLP (about $8.50 USD based on $1 USD to $700 CLP) - accepts cash only CLP
Prepaid plan: $10 USD for 40 mins local calls, 2 GB data - accepts cash only CLP or USD

We had 3g data in Santiago, Punta Arenas, Puerto Natales, fast enough for google maps, search, email, etc. Overall, we had a good experience with Entel.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 5:13 am

Programs: AA-EXP 2MM, Marriott-PP/LT P, Avis-PC
Originally Posted by blue0045
Just came back from Chile and we bought prepaid plans from an Entel kiosk at SCL. The Entel kiosk is at the 3rd floor, in front of the domestic check-in counters. The sales rep spoke good English, and helped us get set up. The Entel kiosk also sells sim cards, but they ran out at that time, so the sales rep pointed us to a store called Fotokina to buy sim cards (also on the 3rd floor).

We didn't need to provide a RUT to buy the sim or the prepaid plan.

Sim card: $6,000 CLP (about $8.50 USD based on $1 USD to $700 CLP) - accepts cash only CLP
Prepaid plan: $10 USD for 40 mins local calls, 2 GB data - accepts cash only CLP or USD

We had 3g data in Santiago, Punta Arenas, Puerto Natales, fast enough for google maps, search, email, etc. Overall, we had a good experience with Entel.
Thanks for the great information! Question> did they have a 4G option? I'm a big data user (no voice needed). Also, did you see a Movistar kiosk as well? thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.