TV's that change channels FAST???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TV's that change channels FAST???

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2013, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by MIT_SBM
Once again, it may not be the TV but another device that is doing the 'channel changing'. If that is the case, changing the capabilities of the TV won't change the channel switching time. One would have to convince the cable/satellite company to demand faster switching of channels in the devices they purchase and then supply to their customers.

On the other hand, for OTA signals, while there may be a consumer market for a faster switching TV, is that market profitable enough to justify manufacturers making such devices?
Surely they just add the extra tuners to the telly and it doesn't need to be an extra box.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Channel-up and channel-down are almost as antiquated as "fine tuning." With so many channels available, channel surfing these days is a matter of bringing up the master channel listing on the screen, scrolling up and down, reading the short descriptions, and then choosing a channel. Sequential channel surfing is so...90s.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Channel-up and channel-down are almost as antiquated as "fine tuning." With so many channels available, channel surfing these days is a matter of bringing up the master channel listing on the screen, scrolling up and down, reading the short descriptions, and then choosing a channel. Sequential channel surfing is so...90s.
Thanks you just described an evening in in my house as being so...90s. Surely you just delete all the dating/shopping/religious/other dross etc. channels and then surf away.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
Thanks you just described an evening in in my house as being so...90s. Surely you just delete all the dating/shopping/religious/other dross etc. channels and then surf away.
Well, if your location is London, they only have three channels anyway, right?
Old Feb 4, 2013, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Well, if your location is London, they only have three channels anyway, right?
No sadly we've entered the dark ages of quantity over quality and now have loads of channels like QVC, Rabbit and Gay Rabbit (yes I'm serious), Bid Up TV, Gems Tv, 1-2-1 dating etc. I've deleted them all but it is such a come down from the good old days when ITV produced quality stuff night after night and they + the BBC had few repeats.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 5:02 am

Many boxes are now dvrs and now cause a digital delay just as an old fashion tape deck that would record on one head and you would hear off the second playback head in particular Tivo
Old Feb 4, 2013, 2:15 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, SQ Krisflyer PPS, UA 1p, Marriot Lifetime Platinum, American EXP
Except you can go back to the 90's on systems like Verizon FIOS with flip by favorites. You setup a list of favorite channels and then when you use the up and down arrow it is only these channels. I set this up since I was not interested in the majority of the channels. But, as someone else pointed out you go to the guide and make a selection. After you setup favorites that also limits the guide so it is pretty nice.

But back to the question I once was given a HP TV and the tuner on it was so slow that the time was 5 to 6 seconds between channels (no set top box at that time). While the time for my Pioneer was the same as my old tube TV (then and now). So I do think some TV's are worse then others.

Last edited by swanscn; Feb 4, 2013 at 2:23 pm
Old Feb 4, 2013, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by swanscn
Except you can go back to the 90's on systems like Verizon FIOS with flip by favorites. You setup a list of favorite channels and then when you use the up and down arrow it is only these channels. I set this up since I was not interested in the majority of the channels. But, as someone else pointed out you go to the guide and make a selection. After you setup favorites that also limits the guide so it is pretty nice.

But back to the question I once was given a HP TV and the tuner on it was so slow that the time was 5 to 6 seconds between channels (no set top box at that time). While the time for my Pioneer was the same as my old tube TV (then and now). So I do think some TV's are worse then others.
Can you renumber the (favourite) channels on FIOS and or delete them because that's one thing I really don't like about Comcast as far as I know you can't with them.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:43 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum, SQ Krisflyer PPS, UA 1p, Marriot Lifetime Platinum, American EXP
I do not know of any way of remembering the channels on FIOS, and I do not even know why that would be done anymore. As to deleting when setting up favorites you are not deleting anything, but adding to a favorites list. Once the list is created you can set the channel guide to display only favorites so it is like you deleted the rest. Also, if you are surfing you need to flip by favorites.
Back in the days of cable card (god I wish they would make a comeback and eliminate the STB), I used to mess around with channel remapping on Comcast. Since a cable card could only be put into a TV that was high def, I thought it silly that you could tune the SD versions of the channels . So I remapped the SD number to HD numbers.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by swanscn
I do not know of any way of remembering the channels on FIOS, and I do not even know why that would be done anymore. As to deleting when setting up favorites you are not deleting anything, but adding to a favorites list. Once the list is created you can set the channel guide to display only favorites so it is like you deleted the rest. Also, if you are surfing you need to flip by favorites.
Back in the days of cable card (god I wish they would make a comeback and eliminate the STB), I used to mess around with channel remapping on Comcast. Since a cable card could only be put into a TV that was high def, I thought it silly that you could tune the SD versions of the channels . So I remapped the SD number to HD numbers.
The reason for renumbering the channels is so when I have my technophobe mother on the phone asking for help with things it makes life a lot easier. I'd just like to be able to delete at best, reorder at worst the channels for the same reason, she rarely looks beyond the first page of the EPG and so if her channel isn't on there she either won't watch it or will call me at all hours.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 9:25 am

Fastest OTT solution on the market allows to channge the TV channel (HD HLS stream) in less than 0.2 second. Please check following video:

Interesting thing is that it does not require any changes on streaming side, fast channel change is available also for youtube channels or any other that you may find in the internet. Reycom RTV solution supports more than 150 video formats, 100+ audio formats, 40+ subtitle formats. Of course seamless 4K videos are supported as well as high definition or multichannel audio.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Since switching to CenturyLink's PrismTV, I'm not sure if I could handle going back to Xfinity or DirecTV. The channel changes are nearly instantaneous. Plus, the PiP preview (which actually shows what's going to happen 3 seconds ahead of time) in the guide is fantastic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.